Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2011, 07:54 PM   #1

Bubbling in the Toilet Bowl

I'm a newbie full-timer in a 38' 2004 Monaco Knight DP currently squatting in Apache Junction AZ. Ok ... ensconced ... maybe squatting is not the right term. My issue is that I often get bubbling in the toilet bowl when I flush it and which causes a bit of a splash from the bowl onto the floor. When this happens, I know that I will soon have a blockage showing itself in a few days - not difficult to fix, of course, but I'm guessing I'm not getting a permanent fix. We use lots of water when we flush. Could somebuddy please tell me what might be wrong or if there is a blocked vent somewhere that I need to check out?

"Road Ranger" (Lenny!) RCMPolice Veteran #25XXX
"Geminimajic" (Gloria!)
2012 Open Range 386FLR 5'ver towed by (TBD)
Road Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2011, 07:57 PM   #2
KIX

Black tank vent sounds blocked. The way I would check it is to go on the roof with a garden hose, remove the vent cover and push the hose down the pipe. Run the water full force when you hit a blockage. Do this when the tank is empty.

KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:01 PM   #3

One cause may be too much TP per flush collecting - and slowly obstructing - the elbow at the bottom of the toilet downpipe. You did say the bubbling always leads to a clog...

When I have this happen - and it only happens with newbie guests - I suggest that they are allowed only 3 separate "roll-to-floor" lengths of TP per flush. Seems the bubbling (and soon to be clog) never happen again after that...

YMMV
Old 12-21-2011, 08:11 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If your tank is empty, the vent pipe is restricted. If the tank is partially filled ir near full, and the vent pipe is extended to far into the tank and is blocked.

Ken
Old 12-21-2011, 11:08 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Had the exact same problem recently. As others have suggested, in my case it was the result of too much TP being used and not enough water when flushing.

Try this: grab a flashlight, shut off your water supply, open your toilet valve and shine the flashlight into the toilet opening. If you see toilet paper, there is a restriction and a pending clog. To remedy this, I kept the water supply off and dumped some additional toilet chemical powder into the toilet, to help dissolve the TP. On a suggestion from an old timer neighbor, I then poured a couple gallons of very hot water down the toilet. This cleared the restriction for me.

I then re-trained my son & DW on the use of TP, and the necessity of using more water when flushing.

Good luck!

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig P. View Post
...Try this: grab a flashlight, shut off your water supply, open your toilet valve and shine the flashlight into the toilet opening. If you see toilet paper, there is a restriction and a pending clog......I then re-trained my son & DW on the use of TP...
Exactly. The key to this verdict over the vent pipe verdict is the OP statement "When this happens, I know that I will soon have a blockage showing itself in a few days."
Old 12-21-2011, 11:26 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
That would certainly happen if the vent was clogged and gassing would build up causing bubbling. Are you hooked up to sewer full time and do wait until your black tank is near full before dumping?
Rmiscoord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:34 PM   #8

Talking

IT'S ALIVE!!!
Old 12-21-2011, 11:36 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Mine will bubble as I flush when it is full and needs to be drained.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:39 AM   #10

Thanks, folks. To answer some questions, I am hooked up to sewer full time and I do wait until I'm full or almost full before dumping. Also, I have recently moved the TP roll 6 inches left and a foot higher so TP to floor has now changed, which I shall check out. I've looked down the toilet drain to view the pipe and sometimes it looks like I'll need a hand grenade to clear it. I've also noticed this bubbling happens within a 1/4 tank of being start from empty, I'm sure. To Craig P., I'll give you 50 bucks for your son and DW. Guys, my DW aside, there are some big butts on this MH. The more I think about it after reading your comments, the more I think there's a venting problem I need to deal with. The bubbling happens too soon after a black tank dump to be a tank issue ... maybe. Thanks very much for the hints and advice(s) ... and the vote of confidence that I'll know what to do as a result, excrementally speaking..
"Road Ranger" (Lenny!) RCMPolice Veteran #25XXX
"Geminimajic" (Gloria!)
2012 Open Range 386FLR 5'ver towed by (TBD)
Road Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 05:07 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
The Sheryl Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ranger View Post
... I often get bubbling in the toilet bowl when I flush it and which causes a bit of a splash from the bowl onto the floor.
We've strictly adopted Sheryl Crow's one-square of TP limit, all troubles have ceased. Hey, if you think that is a bit extreme, consider that her brother proposed washing out and presumably re-using the single piece!

The vent-blasting idea is brilliant, sounds like something to do routinely, anytime there's work to be done on the roof! Thanks!
Old 12-22-2011, 06:25 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We have an '04 Monaco product in which they installed a Hydro-Vac system (not Thetford). What system do you have? The HV is a great system in that it macerates all "soft" objects (combs not included) as they go into the P trap. The flush cycle has high pressure water from an accumulator injected from the side of the down pipe as the flush goes by which pretty well macerates...
Sometimes this high pressure water will "splash" upward rather than all going downward. Thankfully this is after the bowl empties. Also, if the bowl overfills, it acts as though there is a blockage.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:47 AM   #13

Road - another possible option for you is to run the black always between 1/2 and full. That is, when full only dump half.

You have confirmed it is a high volume of TP use phenomena: given that the "problem" only happens when near empty, and that the bubbling will lead to a clog, and that you see the pileup starting when the tank is low. It is not a vent problem. Really, no amount of flushing water (within reason) will help either. Your descriptions are exactly what I encounter with any newbie (high volume TP) guests I have on board. I've tried the heavy flush dose fo water all to no avail. The 3 roll-to-floor has ALWAYS worked to solve the bubbling-to-clog phenomena. It is possible there is a roughness or other form of catching roughness at that lower pipe location that could be helping the TP stick down there.Not sure how to verify that though.

If the 3 roll-to-floor (adjusted accordingly to your situation) option isn't workable then try keeping the tank level always high (full then only dump to half) as this will help that massive wad get out of the pipe and into the tank.

Good luck....
Old 12-22-2011, 01:06 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Or do as requested through out Ecuador. Do not flush any TP but place in a can near by

This sign was in a hotel in the Galapagos:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20110124-00107_1024x768.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	16544

Rmiscoord is offline   Reply With Quote