Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2015, 07:54 PM   #1

Buddy Bearing question

I just purchased a 1975 19’ Terry Travel Trailer that has been sitting for several years. I will need to move it about 120 miles to my hunting property where it will probably stay permanently. I don’t want to re-pack the bearings and have installed Buddy Bearings. Do you think I would be ok as long as I fill the fittings, stop and check the temp of the hubs occasionally and take our time? I moved it a couple of weeks ago around 6 miles without a problem.
Thanks
Grubmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2015, 08:03 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I would think if you pump some grease in there, and then periodically stop and check the hub temps, you should be fine, how are the tires???? I would also jack it up, and check the bearings to see if they are loose
Old 10-13-2015, 08:09 PM   #3

The tires look fine. Good idea about jacking it up and checking the bearings.
Thanks
Old 10-14-2015, 10:55 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I put bearing buddies on both of my trailers and never had a problem.. On one of them I had to put a new bearing in first though, the prior owner was a tag... Forgetful.. when it came to bearing maintenance.

Love those things.
Old 10-14-2015, 11:39 AM   #5

You will probably be fine but no one knows for sure. What's your plan if you have a bearing or tire failure?
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 06:34 PM   #6

I have a spare tire but no plan for a bearing problem.
I don't have a plan for a bearing failure. We should be able to stay off the interstate and poke along.
I'll take a jack and hope for the best.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:39 PM   #7

Just a thought, most bearing buddies grease ONLY the outer bearing well. Some grease may migrate to the inner bearing in some instances, but for the most part, they only assist in greasing the outer bearing, leaving the inner bearing with whatever grease it had when you started . . .
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 08:49 PM   #8

Bearing Buddies are typically used on boat trailers. If full of grease and checked, 120 miles isn't far.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 05:47 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
I have used bearing buddies for years on boat trailers, they work great. Yes they do grease the inner seal!! If you get over zealous with the grease gun you will blow the inner seal out.
jsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 09:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsides View Post
I have used bearing buddies for years on boat trailers, they work great. Yes they do grease the inner seal!! If you get over zealous with the grease gun you will blow the inner seal out.

Most inner bearings are roller bearings (non conical). Most outer bearings are conical (tapered) roller bearings. The inner and outer bearings are separated by chamber housing the brakes. The Bearing Buddy is located on the outside of the spindle, and puts grease in the area of the outer bearing. The only way for grease applied through a bearing buddy to get to the inner bearings would be for it to have filled up the inner chamber . . . the one housing the brake pads or shoes . . . wouldn't help your brakes work to well!

Mechanics will tell you lots of things, take your wheel, drum and hub off, removing both sets of bearings and have your mechanic explain to you how the grease will "jump" from the outer bearing to the inner bearing without "greasing" the brakes on the way.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 06:18 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Most inner bearings are roller bearings (non conical). Most outer bearings are conical (tapered) roller bearings. The inner and outer bearings are separated by chamber housing the brakes. The Bearing Buddy is located on the outside of the spindle, and puts grease in the area of the outer bearing. The only way for grease applied through a bearing buddy to get to the inner bearings would be for it to have filled up the inner chamber . . . the one housing the brake pads or shoes . . . wouldn't help your brakes work to well!

Mechanics will tell you lots of things, take your wheel, drum and hub off, removing both sets of bearings and have your mechanic explain to you how the grease will "jump" from the outer bearing to the inner bearing without "greasing" the brakes on the way.
I have never seen a post with this much incorrect information.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 06:33 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Thumbs down

I totally agree with lynnmor. So much incorrect information in one posting!
jsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 11:32 AM   #13

We arrived at the hunting camp in one piece and without any wheel problems.
A normal 2 hour trip turned into 4 hours. In any event we don't plan on moving it anytime in the near future.
I don't know if the buddy bearings helped but I assume they didn't hurt.
Thanks for the replies.