Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2014, 09:59 AM   #1

BUGS!!

Have my motorhome at the dealer on consignment while awaiting my new delivery. Got a call yesterday about a bug/flea/?? problem inside. Said they needed to call an exterminator service. Have never had a problem before. Got a call today that the dealer thought they were coming from the sink and maybe gray tank. Have never left our tanks connected to park systems unless the valves were closed. We dump, flush the black occasionally, and close the valves. Wondering if extended setting on the dealer lot has caused the sink trap to dry out and allow a route out from the tank. As stated, have never had anything like this happen before and would like some input/insight on this subject. How do you prevent this from happening? Any treatment, chemicals, procedures, etc. that others have found. Do not want this to happen in the future and hope we all can learn from my and others experiences. Thanks for any info provided.
cjkroodsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2014, 05:07 PM   #2

I would think a good filling and flushing would fix that problem if they were coming from any tank.

We had an ant issue when we first picked up our new to us coach. They were coming from some place under the stove area and tracked across the counter top.

DW used regular bug killer and they soon died off, but came back again. Problem for you is, you're not using the coach and there with it to follow up with a non-caustic treatment. You may just have to have it done by a professional if the tank clean out doesn't help.

In the case of our ants, there was a nest some place in the area they came out from. Constant cleaning finally did the trick. You have to kill the nest, or they come back.

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:27 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Yes, the traps could dry out allowing access from the tanks so I would suggest flushing, draining and adding some fresh water to the tanks. Then I would put water in the sink traps and pour a small amount of mineral oil down each one to help slow evaporation, maybe even cover up the traps in each sink and the shower. A professional exterminator can treat the whole coach but ask not to have a bug bomb used- that causes a whole lot of clean up believe me. Any route you go, someone will have to go behind the treatment and clean up dead bugs. It is bad that it is sitting on a lot where you don't have access to take care of it until it is free of whatever bug is invading. Best of luck to you!
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 11:55 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Sounds like gnats to me, they enter the tanks through the vents, and when the coach sits still for an extended time the breed in the tanks. If you open the toilet valve they will come out of there too. Just fill the tanks and take it for a short ride, then drain the tanks, Problem gone. To avoid the problem, camp more....LOL.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:43 AM   #5
bap

we had a flea problem in one of our rental units,,,we tried everything on the market to get rid of them....its truly a wonder the tennants wernt suckexd dry..lol

anyway ran into an old dear abby cut out from my grannys place after she passed away that said put walnut leave,s un der couches and beds and they will go away,,,so we did this ...and after a couple days they were gone,,,have told other people the same and it ended there trouble also..

if u havent had pets in there im with the person that says nats...but if u have after ur coach has been empty for awhile the fleas are starving and ready to feed on anything that comes in there...wallnut leavs are free and it works...dont know if they die or just leave but there gone just the same....
bap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 06:15 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I think 99-Am.star is on the right track. Gnats come in through the vents. And that's what the problem was. I can't believe that the dealership didn't know what was going on. Quite common for that to happen while camping or not. They are like fruit flies around fruit at home or sometimes in stores.
Old 09-04-2014, 04:14 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I keep a 2 gallon pump sprayer and a bottle of concentrate in one of the passenger side bays. Have used it many times for a variety of pests
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote