Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2013, 06:46 PM   #1

Bumper attached cargo rack

We are looking at getting 2 small folding trike's for use around the RV park in camping areas we go to, but storing them in our Class C is going to be a pain during travel because of their size and the worry of damage to the furniture if they move around or anything. The idea is to get a cargo carrier for the back of the RV that should be plenty large enough to carry them (and a few other small items if we want).

Our problem however is that we intend to get a Blue Ox setup for our Smart car, and I'm told that you don't want to put a hitch mounted cargo carrier between the rig and the Blue Ox for many reasons that all end badly for the car and house.

The solution seems to be a device that someone staying at the same RV park as us has on their back bumper. A cargo rack that is secured to the frame of the bumper, above it, not involving the hitch. The only problem is that I'm having a pain in the neck of a time trying to find this thing online or more info about it.

I'll see if I can get a mfg name from the one here in the park if I get a chance, but I couldn't see anything marked on it so far. I have however, found a similar looking setup in an image online...

Can anyone tell me who makes this, or something like it, and more to the point where I could get my hands on one?

Any owners with first hand experience with something like this?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2013, 05:04 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
You need a rack that fits on the tow bar between the MH and the tow car, like this: 3 Bike Swing-Down Towing Bicycle Carrier

Cat320 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:21 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
You need a rack that fits on the tow bar between the MH and the tow car, like this: 3 Bike Swing-Down Towing Bicycle Carrier
OP comments trikes, not bikes - hence the need for a platform-like carry.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
I think we need more of a flat cargo platform for the folding Trike's we're interested in. I'm amazed there isn't one like this built for that, but I guess it would probably introduce a lot more engineering issues than a few bikes haninging off of one given point.

Something like the picture I posted in the beginning of this thread seems ideal, but I can't figure out who makes such a thing! I know they're out there, I've seen them... I just can't get a mfg name to go with any of the pictures and the one on a rig at our RV park has no markings and the owners are never home to talk to.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:06 PM   #5

Since they are folding trikes, would you consider putting them IN your toad?
Old 03-26-2013, 06:59 AM   #6

Our toad will be a Smart FourTwo. Not enough room in there. With a rack like this however, we could get both on there, and our small grill as well, keeping a bit of our cargo area open and cleaner to boot.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr337 View Post
We are looking at getting 2 small folding trike's for use around the RV park in camping areas we go to, but storing them in our Class C is going to be a pain during travel because of their size and the worry of damage to the furniture if they move around or anything. The idea is to get a cargo carrier for the back of the RV that should be plenty large enough to carry them (and a few other small items if we want).

Our problem however is that we intend to get a Blue Ox setup for our Smart car, and I'm told that you don't want to put a hitch mounted cargo carrier between the rig and the Blue Ox for many reasons that all end badly for the car and house.

The solution seems to be a device that someone staying at the same RV park as us has on their back bumper. A cargo rack that is secured to the frame of the bumper, above it, not involving the hitch. The only problem is that I'm having a pain in the neck of a time trying to find this thing online or more info about it.

I'll see if I can get a mfg name from the one here in the park if I get a chance, but I couldn't see anything marked on it so far. I have however, found a similar looking setup in an image online...

Can anyone tell me who makes this, or something like it, and more to the point where I could get my hands on one?

Any owners with first hand experience with something like this?
I have been looking for the same thing. I have seen 2 with the ability to attach the spare tire as well. I can't find any for sale online.Did you locate a manufacturer?
Old 05-05-2016, 09:59 AM   #8

The attachments for the pictured rack are built into the frame, it's a factory option on a few models.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post
The attachments for the pictured rack are built into the frame, it's a factory option on a few models.
^ This. We have one on our SportTrek; it was an option at the time of manufacture. They make the frame a little longer at the factory and then attach it on the frame forward of the bumper.