Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2012, 09:37 PM   #1

Burning Man

Everything I find on line sounds like a cross between a Grateful Dead concert and the Starship Enterprise. We are considering attending/participating in 2013 during a southwest tour of the USA.
We would love to hear from anyone who has been there. The reports range from a wonderful experience to a week of terror?

Pleas let us know!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2012, 09:48 PM   #2

It's a freak show for sure. Not for the faint of heart. Be careful.
jpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:19 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickBrennan View Post
Everything I find on line sounds like a cross between a Grateful Dead concert and the Starship Enterprise. We are considering attending/participating in 2013 during a southwest tour of the USA.
We would love to hear from anyone who has been there. The reports range from a wonderful experience to a week of terror?

Pleas let us know!

An acquaintance of mine goes repeatedly and if you want I can forward him your e-mail address and put you in touch with a participant directly. Sometime in the future when the timing works my wife and I would like to attend. PM me if you are in agreement and I will forward your e-mail to my buddy.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:10 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
I know several folks (burners) here in Reno that have attended more than once. Everyone says they have a pretty good time. There's a fair share of weirdness that goes on there. I guess that's going to happen with any event that's about free expression. We've thought about checking it out for a day, but the tickets are becoming increasingly difficult to get because of it's growing popularity. Also, from what I understand tickets are over now over $300 per person to attend. Just doesn't seem like a value I'm interested in.

The day's following the event we see a lot of the vehicles returning through Reno on I80. There's no mistaking them, because they're ALL covered in the off white powder from the Black Rock Desert. Some of them are just plain fun looking too, with all the odd adornments or decorating some folks like to do. The local RV dealers raise their rental rates to around a $1000 dollars a day, just before the event to discourage folks from renting RV's for it. The dust gets everywhere in and on the RV and doesn't wash off easily. I would never subject my mh to the environment.

The one thing I've heard you cannot have too much of out there, is water and sun block. It's the middle of a hot desert and a harsh unforgiving environment. Bartering is popular during the event too, so whatever you've got a lot of of, you can always barter for something else. That part actually sounds kind of fun.

Best of luck if you get tickets and end up going!
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:21 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It is an alternate life style for sure, not dangerous tho. Doubt you can find any tickets now. I like the art cars, and the burning of the man is a spectacle you will never forget. Biggest down side is that it is on a huge dry lake bed and alkali dust permeates everything. Those that wear sandals bathe their feet in vinegar daily. Long hair is put up in corn rows for the week. Can't over emphasize the need to be prepared for living on a desert lake bed in the middle of the summer.
ScoobyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:48 AM   #6

Oh my.
We may be beyond that sort of (harsh) experience.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:58 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We are very good friends with a couple that are members of the Safety Patrol and Cirque d' Flambe'. They have been attending since before it moved to Nevada. They have said that it has gotten considerably more commercial over the last four years. The tickets are more expensive. Of course they attend for free. The attendees have pretty much remained consistant. Weather in terms of wind may go a long way in determining your experience. Make sure you have a rig that is appropriate in terms of you accommodations and haul lots of water. When you think you have enough, find a way to bring more.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:11 PM   #8

It is the greatest thing ever in the entire history of both great things and ever.

It's a lot like The Matrix. In that no one can be told what Burning Man is because you, as the participant, create your own experience.

For a year before I went my first time I had one of the crappiest jobs I've ever had. But any time something bad happened, I knew I was going to Burning Man so it was ok. So when a dead mouse fell off a palate we were moving and landed in my mouth... It was ok because I was going to go to Burning Man. I didn't know what that meant but I knew I had to go. That feeling is ten times stronger for having been to Black Rock City and knowing.

Make no mistake, Burning Man changes Everything.
It's how I came to be here on this board.
I can't wait to park the new playamobile in the dust!

Yes it's expensive and yes it's sold out but for those interested and near the area anyway, tickets go for a hundred bucks or less on craigslist and their boards in the last week or two before the event and can often be picked up in the area if not at will call.

Lastly, if you have an inkling of interest in going... GO! Don't let other peoples ideas of what it is deter or dissuade you. There is nothing about the conditions in the city that make it that much worse than any other boondocking experience. Ok... The dust. It gets in everything and you have to wear a dust mask or bandanna and goggles a few hours a day but SO WHAT! You will miss it once you've been there! I swear to you. Months after, you will find a tiny pile of playa in some corner or container and you will long to smell that beautiful place. Wear sunscreen, dress appropriately for the weather (super hot during the day and super cold at night with about a 5 minute window in-between to change your clothes), stay hydrated, nap in your a/c during the hottest part of the day and prepare to have one of the most unique experiences of your life.

I've ridden across the country on a Harley (4 days) and driven across in a car (40 hours), but neither trip was about the trip so I haven't seen what most of you here have seen. I will report back on this thread after I spend a few months on the road following this years Burn but I'm pretty sure that will still be the week around which the rest of my year revolves.
94 Vogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:47 PM   #9

Ahhhhhh....the green font is too hard to read !
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:52 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpriest View Post
It's a freak show for sure. Not for the faint of heart. Be careful.
Woooo. Rather harsh don't you think? Couldn't you have just said " we've not heard anything nice about it and choose not to go"?

Or words to that effect.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:07 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickBrennan View Post
Oh my.
We may be beyond that sort of (harsh) experience.
Don't jump to any conclusions on Burning Man until you've read lots of information. 94 Vouge said things pretty well, but I would also add that although the crowd is predominantly younger, there are enough of the older crowd (born in the 50-60's) to recapture your youthful view on life.

Is it harsh? Yes. Is it windy and dusty? Yup, that too. Do the nights get noisy, filled with music, people, theater, arts, and craziness that last until dawn more often then not? Yes, yes, and yes. Is it a different experience for each individual or group that goes? Absolutely.

Should you go? Only you can decide.

Here's a good place to check out the official website: Burning Man :: Welcome Home

Lastly, no, I'm not connecting with Burning Man or any of it's tribe.

All the best