Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2014, 08:29 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfwright View Post
Most cops have better things to do than mess with old RV'ers.
I think this is a very safe conclusion. Leos profile people and vehicles. The majority of us wouldn't fit their profile.
Orangepeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2014, 08:41 AM   #16

i get in trouble for leaving colorado without colorado tags but we look like hippies so......
LittleBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:43 AM   #17

Our local Tallahassee PD are fairly decent LEOs, so I'd think those folks hauled off had to have other issues than just being from Colorado.
LeeRevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:46 AM   #18

I can imagine how fast my neighbors would call the cops if one of those fancy painted hippy vans parked on our street.
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:57 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeRevell View Post
Our local Tallahassee PD are fairly decent LEOs, so I'd think those folks hauled off had to have other issues than just being from Colorado.

You are correct. I sat in the parking lot watching the entire event while my wife was shopping. The "occupants" of the van had all the earmarks of "suspicious looking people".

Also, I must give kudos to the Tallahassee police for their "by the book" professionalism. They did not rough up anyone, nor even hand cuff them until a plain clothes officer arrived with some paperwork and seemed to be reading from it out loud.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:14 AM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This is a true story, my son was headed to Alabama, with his wife and 2 teen daughters. They rented a van for the trip. The occasion was his grandfather's funeral, my ex FIL. In Kansas they got stopped and they allowed the search. Nothing found, but my son had a picture from the newspaper of his grandfather. It was the obituary, and the accompanied photo showed a police officer in front of several pot plants which had been confiscated in a bust. When my son showed them the picture, the LEOs laughed and continued with the search.
We have travelled quite a bit this past year with our Colorado tags and (knock on wood) haven't been stopped.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:44 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
Whether I have the right to refuse a search or not, I'm not sure I would want to cause an issue at a stop. I'm not a rebel and don't need the added aggravation.
And that is the very delicate circumstance you are in when pulled over. Obviously being polite is the key, but some of us are prone to nervous ramble as a traffic stop can be intimidating. An officer can play on that or not. Just the idea of being polite, but very minimalistic. Officers are professionals, both in doing a class job, as well as professionals at setting you up. How do you second guess which way the conversation is going to go? It may be difficult to tell. You don't want to be rude or cold, but you also don't want to lengthen your stop either. If you say anything about where you are going, it needs to match your environment. In my brother's case, yes he was going to a funeral, but he was also trailering snowmobiles. The officer interpeted that as a conflict of story, which contributed to the length of the stop. You are in your RV, then you simply are on vacation, seeing the sites. Friendly but vague.

One other point is do not carry large sums of cash. That is a whole nuther thread, but just a warning that if a large sum of cash is discovered, you can loose it without cause. You will never see it again. No legal recourse. There are some areas where the legal confiscation of cash is being exploited to its fullest extent.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:00 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveinet View Post
...One other point is do not carry large sums of cash. That is a whole nuther thread, but just a warning that if a large sum of cash is discovered, you can loose it without cause. You will never see it again. No legal recourse. There are some areas where the legal confiscation of cash is being exploited to its fullest extent.
No, that's called robbery. And it sounds like one of those internet stories that just has to be true - because it's on the internet.
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:00 PM   #23

Gulf Streamers Club
And I thought marijuana USE caused paranoia. Some of the replies, anecdotes, and recommended behavior clearly show paranoia is more rampant than just smokers!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:18 PM   #24

Quote:
Whether I have the right to refuse a search or not, I'm not sure I would want to cause an issue at a stop. I'm not a rebel and don't need the added aggravation.
dogpatch
Since you have to stop when a LOE "lights you up" and don't really want to, why not make the best of a bad situation and make it memorable by having a little fun?
If you meekly allow the LEO "throw his weight around", he's the only one that has any fun (and you miss all the enjoyment of a traffic stop).
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:19 PM   #25

At one of the Border Patrol check points (I think it was south of Benson, AZ) we were stopped like everyone else, and quickly asked a couple of questions while the sniffer dogs made a tour around the outside of the bus. Setting in the big open parking lot was a class-A RV all opened up and EVERYTHING strung out in plies on the ground. Didn't see any people around, so possibly the owners were in the office doing some explaining.

I'm glad a sniffer dog did not decide to give a false signal when he checked our tires. Seemed they did spend more time sniffing the tires.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:31 PM   #26

Busted for driving while from Colorado? (Wash)

Quote:

You mean you won't even be cordial and offer the nice policeman a hand rolled smoke? Willie Nelson would.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:34 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
One should always remember, Advice given on the internet is worth all you pay for it.
Never bet YOUR life on information that may be correct.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:11 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveinet View Post
... I have since stumbled on a training document for police offers, as to what to say, how to say it, what they can and can not do in relation to a traffic stop. How to set up the person being stopped, so they create cause for suspicion....
Would you like to share that with the class?
VAParrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
colorado