Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2014, 09:45 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Busted for driving while from Colorado? (Wash)

I have seen several treads (not here), of folks being pulled over for no apparent reason other than having Colorado tags. Has anyone in the Rv community had this issue?
I'm from Colorado and would much prefer to just drive safe and enjoy my journey with being interrupted by over zealous Law Enforcement Officers,(LEO's)
In case your we're wondering about the reason for this question, recreational marijuana, pot, weed, etc. is legal in Colorado and Washington. The law enforcement side of things outside of Colorado and Washington do not approve, and it has been rumored that the (LEO's) are wont to pull folks over based on the origin of their tags.
I'm not looking for your view point on Pot; just how you have experienced it from the RV aspect of things. Are you finding yourselves talking to LEO's more often?
Or are you just driving down the road without interacting with them and enjoying the journey?
Thank You
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2014, 12:19 AM   #2

As a Washington resident I have not had any problems when out of state. But then 1) we have only been in OR and CA and 2) WA doesn't have their act together as far as retail in most areas.
Orangepeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 01:00 AM   #3

Witnessed a major search of a Colorado car while we were in a Tallahassee, FL Wal-Mart parking lot. The local police (four squad cars) had the occupants of the Colorado van separated for interrogation. All contents of the van were outside on the pavement, and being carefully searched. Later, a police van arrived to carry the six Colorado people away, and a roll-back tow truck carted their van off. You can draw your own conclusion as to whether or not this was a drug bust. I suspect it was.
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 01:05 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
The issue is that you are going to get some enterprising if not altogether intelligent Coloradans. Whom buy legal weed at home. Then finance their Florida holiday through a little sales........
GS#819681685 FMCA#F437136 SKP#112720
phinneyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:31 AM   #5

By this thinking though, what about those of us who visit Colorado, whether a quick or extended visit?

We were on our way to Colorado for a 4 month assignment when we heard of my mom's death and had to cancel the trip.

Are the Leos going to begin stopping people as they leave Colorado??? I think not! I suppose, until the hubaloo blows over from this, that those with Colorado plates may be more intensely scrutinized by the Leos outside Colorado. I would think however that the people who are stopped were likely doing something to increase the suspicion. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I would hope not.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:32 AM   #6

A couple of things to note. If you are pulled over, do not agree to a search, even if you have nothing to hide. Say as little as possible. Officers are trained to ask leading questions that no matter how you answer them, give them cause for suspicion to search your vehicle. No answer can not be construed into cause for suspicion. Other than confirmation of who you are, and your current address, just say I'm sorry, I am not answering any other questions. There is a predictable time limit that is expected for a traffic stop to take. Anything beyond that is illegal detainment, if they have no cause. Without your permission, they can walk a drug dog around the outside of your vehicle, but they can not detain you to do so, beyond the typical time limit for a traffic stop, unless they have cause. It is also important to note that once the officer gives you back your driver's license, the traffic stop has ended. The officer may say other things to you, but at that point, you are no longer being detained.

One trick they will do is make a statement that "we need to do XYZ". Such as we need you to stay, while we exercise the drug dog. That terminology is not an order, and you are not required to comply, even though it is phrased like an order. IF you are unsure, ask if they are giving you an order. If they do not give you a direct answer, then it is not an order.

This happened to my brother in Ohio. Of course having nothing to hide, he complied with all of their "requests". They wasted about and hour and a half of his time for nothing. I have since stumbled on a training document for police offers, as to what to say, how to say it, what they can and can not do in relation to a traffic stop. How to set up the person being stopped, so they create cause for suspicion. The whole goal for the officer in a traffic stop is to gain access to your vehicle. When he pulls up, he/she is looking for anything that can give them just cause for a search. In my brother's case, after they had given him back his license, they stated they needed him to stay while they "exercised" their dog. This resulted in a more in depth search. The whole time, my brother kept asking if he could leave, and they refused to give him a direct answer. As a result, he missed my 100 year old grandmother's funeral.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:47 AM   #7

What would have happened if, after receiving his license back, he simply said "Thank you and have a good day." then left? Could they have pursued him and stopped him again?

This was a very informative post, thank you!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:58 AM   #8
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Whether I have the right to refuse a search or not, I'm not sure I would want to cause an issue at a stop. I'm not a rebel and don't need the added aggravation.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:59 AM   #9

Where were the black helicopters?
washbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:00 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
I think if your RV seems like there are regular people inside it there is a very samall chance of a LEO encounter.

Howerver if it looks like any one of the ones below.....

(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:02 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Just my 2 cents, but you should consult an Attorney if you are concerned about it. Getting legal advice from folks who you do not know and are not Attorney's are probably not in your best interest.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:09 AM   #12
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsualSuspect View Post
Just my 2 cents, but you should consult an Attorney if you are concerned about it. Getting legal advice from folks who you do not know and are not Attorney's are probably not in your best interest.
Likely good advise coming from someone with the name "UsualSuspect" LOL
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:16 AM   #13

We have driven from California to Maryland since the marijuana law passed in Colorado with Colorado tags. We have not been stopped, eyeballed or in any way bothered. Most cops have better things to do than mess with Renipladlos.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:23 AM   #14

I travel the country in my Sprinter van , I have California plates. The biggest problems I have encountered have been in California Some minor, some a bit more serious. The funniest occurrence was in Nevada some years back in my first Sprinter when they were quite rare in America, when I asked why I was pulled over the Officer politely replied... I have never seen a Mercedes van before.
Annierufus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
colorado