Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Should I replace the tires now?
Yes 3 17.65%
No 14 82.35%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2010, 04:45 PM   #1

Buy new tires or not?

I'm now debating this. I realize that no one really knows what could happen. My Goodyear 670RV tires we made in late 2004, have good tread and no sidewall cracking. Should I replace them or could I safely get by for another year?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2010, 04:53 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Abnmarine,
You know the life the tires have led. As long as you have the correct PSI, they travel the paved highways, they have a barrier underneath them when in place for more than two weeks, they have never met a curb or other obstruction, etc., they should be good for several more years. Goodyear had better have the same life expectancy as Michelin, for the price they charge. Michelin says 10 years with proper care. No flames please, I'm not going to restate Michelin's Ts & Cs.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 05:21 PM   #3

Thanks Gary. I don't see anything wrong with them but their age. We are heading north later this month and just wanted to be ready for the trip. I don't mind buying something needed but these still look good so it's hard to part with $2,100 if not needed.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:43 PM   #4
paz

If in doubt, take them to an authorized GoodYear dealer and have them inspected by an expert. You may have to pay to have the tires broken down to inspect the inner surfaces; but it would be cheaper than new tires, and it would be inexpensive peace of mind.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:06 PM   #5

What paz said. There is no way to accurately determine the condition of a tire without dismounting for inspection.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 07:07 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I see no reason to suspect a solid looking tire that is not quite 6 years old. I'd be planning for a replacement, but wouldn't do it yet.

I've still got 4 late 2003 G670s on the rear of my coach. About 54k miles on them. I plan to replace them this winter. Fronts were replaced last year after one developed a bulge.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 07:22 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
If in doubt, take them to an authorized GoodYear dealer and have them inspected by an expert. ...snip...

Just be sure the person assisting you is a tire expert, not a salesperson!
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:22 AM   #8
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeTheUSA View Post
Just be sure the person assisting you is a tire expert, not a salesperson!
Right on!

When I had some weather checking on my Michelins, I called the company and they gave me the names of several tire dealers in the area I was located where I could go for inspection. There were other dealers, but they wanted me to go to specific places because those places had "experts."
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 01:46 PM   #9

I appreciate the comments. I've relooked at my tires last night and decided to wait until next year for replacing them. The coach has 42k miles on it, not sure how much was put on these tires but the tread is still 3/4 there, no cracks or cuts. I really feel that if I replaced them, the shop would just sell my old ones since they still have plenty of life in them. I feel confident that they will get me through till next spring. I'll plan on replacing them then.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abnmarine View Post
I appreciate the comments. I've relooked at my tires last night and decided to wait until next year for replacing them. The coach has 42k miles on it, not sure how much was put on these tires but the tread is still 3/4 there, no cracks or cuts. I really feel that if I replaced them, the shop would just sell my old ones since they still have plenty of life in them. I feel confident that they will get me through till next spring. I'll plan on replacing them then.
Yes - much depends upon the *known* past usage - long distance at super-slab speeds thru Arizona in the Summer - or easy, relatively short hauls on good paved roads?

Some here get REAL paranoid over tires more than 4-5 years old, regardless of visual, external condition - they could be right, and I respect their opinions - they know their driving conditions lots better than I do.

But as in the case of the 12 year old Bridgestones on the '88 Winnie 27 foot MH we bought late last summer, they still have better than 90% tread left, perfect sidewalls, and no visible blemishes or damage.

We plan to use the rig purely on short, 100 mile round trip fishing expeditions, loaded WELL below the GVWR - rarely over 50 MPH or so, and no, I don't plan on arbitrarily replacing them based purely upon age.

But that would be lots different if we planned a longer, higher speed trip in hot weather.

YUP - I know, a calculated risk, and certainly, I'll be watching the tires closely - but would brand new ones too.

I appreciate the concerns of the more cautious members here - perhaps I place myself and wife at unnecessary risk - but within my own RVing group and long past experience, I have personally seen MORE nearly new, low mileage name brand tires fail catastrophically, than those in apparent good condition with LOTS more miles and years on them.

Shucks, a COUPLE of those premature failures were on my OWN RV and passenger vehicle...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote