Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2015, 05:30 PM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiybrneyes View Post
I have been looking looking and looking for a another mh since mine burned and I am surprised at how difficult it is. Sales people these days are rude and act as if they don't care if they make a sale or not. And finding a mh that meets my criteria is even harder than dealing with the sales people. Just wanted to share my frustration.

I see from your profile that you're from around Tuscaloosa AL. If you want to come as far as Pensacola FL, go to Carpenter's Campers. They are family owned and have been in business for over 50 years. Ask for Jim Carpenter, the general manager. Tell him that Jim & Shirley Neil recommended Carpenter's to you. He will assign one of their salespersons. They carry Tiffin & Thor motorhomes. They also have used coaches from many manufacturers.

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottie)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Toad
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2015, 05:33 PM   #16

Cash is not always king. Don't let them know its a cash deal up front. They make money on financing, selling warranty's ect. They get there cash either way because the finance company pays them but they actually make more on you financing and might make a better deal if they think you will finance. Leave that for after your deal is agreed upon. They always ask up front in some way but just leave it as you are open for finance. heck if it gets you a better deal finance it and turn around and pay it off if you have the cash.

If your internet shopping call first. In my experience if they are short on the phone when you call its not worth the trip to look. If they are open on the phone most likely will work with you on a rig you want.
asuperheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 05:48 PM   #17

Not defending sales people but you have the tire kickers who don't have any intention to buy anything they are just dreaming. And the touchy feely people like at a sporting good store that want to hold the guns and again not intention of buying one. I guess I am defending them.
Old 07-16-2015, 09:34 AM   #18

Part of the problem is there is never enough dealers in each town to get a good handle on the many, many different models out there. DW and I became RV'ers by starting out as a tire kicker, you have to start somewhere. When we became serious about buying a used class A we went back to that first sales women that got us started on information and she wasn't with the dealership any more. Buying is tough though because you have some much BS to wade through, whether its a car, TV, fridge or 500K RV. Can't get away from it, its the American Way!
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 01:16 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Make a list of criteria important to you. Make copies and check off what that particular one offers. Rv name at the top. Once you realize what you want, you can see clearly which brand may be best for you.

At least that narrows it down quicker and showing the list to a salesperson may give him some ideas for what to show you.

Oh yeah put down price range too. They know their inventory, so that saves you time also. If not walk away. Come back another time.

I also had email conversations with a few dealers 200 mi away. Some triedto be helpful.

Knowing what you want and finding it may be worth a flight. Good luck, sorry about your first one!
480w Go Power solar
PeaceOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 01:28 PM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim T. View Post
I see from your profile that you're from around Tuscaloosa AL. If you want to come as far as Pensacola FL, go to Carpenter's Campers. They are family owned and have been in business for over 50 years. Ask for Jim Carpenter, the general manager. Tell him that Jim & Shirley Neil recommended Carpenter's to you. He will assign one of their salespersons. They carry Tiffin & Thor motorhomes. They also have used coaches from many manufacturers.

I need to make a correction to my post.

Mark Carpenter is the owner. Jim Cook is the General Manager. Both are on the premises.

2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 06:38 PM   #21

We bought a 5th wheel, but I assume the process would be the same. For us, we researched, researched, researched on the web to define about 4 - 5 models & years that had the floor plan and amenities we wanted, in an approximate price range we were willing to pay. Then we scoured RV Trader & the other web listing again and again.

We found one that sounded really good, and at a wonderful price in Utah (we are in Cleveland!). I emailed and spoke with their manager out there and he told us that the unit was previously owned by a heavy smoker and the smoke smell just would not come out -- that was why it had a great price. Finally we found exactly what we wanted at the General RV in Birch Run, MI (about a 5 hour drive in good weather). We exchanged many emails regarding the condition, features that were not clear, etc. then made an appointment to see the unit, but this was in January and a lake-effect blizzard forced us to cancel. We re-scheduled for the next weekend. The dealer and his staff were most accommodating and helpful.

We had visited dozens of dealers while in our "tire kicking" stage, and we let the salespeople know that up front. When we knew what we wanted, researched and found it on the web, and approached the dealer with an intention to buy - we had their full attention. (Maybe because there was 3 feet of snow and we were almost the only customers in the show room, but hey....)

We found the internet to be the right way for us to find the unit we wanted at the right price. The dealer was fairly confident they could have a sale & treated us accordingly. Our experience with General RV has been positive again and again. (Sorry, this is starting to sound like a commercial, but it isn't.)
yourpcgeek49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 06:22 AM   #22

yourpcgeek, the commercial is good about General RV because we all need to know, now or in the future of what seems like the few real good dealers out there. Good job!
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 07:22 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlYeller View Post
As a disclaimer, there are a few exceptions to what I am going to say.

At this point in the season,..............

When during the year, generally speaking, is it best to try to buy a MH?
TexasTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 08:10 AM   #24

Just refuse to deal with sales people as much as you can. Use shows and dealer lots (without a sales person) to look at rvs and get it narrowed down to a model and a year that will best suit you.

Then hit the internet hard. Look for private sellers. Be careful on craigs list and other sites that look like private sellers that are not. They (dealers) know how to try and look like private sellers, a little digging can weed them out.

The rv you want will sooner or later come up for sale somewhere by a private seller. Just takes time and a lot of looking online. Better than dealing with sales people.

Even is dealing with a dealer, do it all online in emails and just show up for the inspection and paperwork. Never deal with the weasles in person.
jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 10:02 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTom View Post
When during the year, generally speaking, is it best to try to buy a MH?
It really depends on your motivations. The best time to buy for the best price is probably when the camping season has ended and the next one hasn't started. That would generally be September to February. The problem is that that is usually when inventories are at their worst so if you are looking for a specific RV, it may not be available. The Spring is when inventories are at their best so you have plenty of choices but you will also have lots of competition for the most desirable RVs which means prices will be higher. i have bought at both times and my advice is to find what you like, figure if it is within your budget, and go buy one. The opportunity cost of waiting for the best price may not be worth it.

Generally dealers will be more willing to deal on price as they typically haven't overpaid for the unit, of course, they want profit. Lots of private party folks are upside down and want you to rescue them from their bad decisions, so they are less likely to deal. I have bought from both and this last time we just waited until the perfect RV for us came along and jumped on it. It was a private party and we probably overpaid a little but it was still between what NADA called low retail and average retail. We are once again happy campers.
OlYeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 10:58 AM   #26

Oh yeah the internet search works well. I didn't find much or many used ones that I liked. I even checked with local MH dealers near me. They were just to much interested in selling me a TT. I just didn't want one was my excuse for no other reason. I drove approx 330+ miles and was still in Texas (lol) to one specific dealership (dealer) who I had been in contact with (phone and emails). I didn't get any calls (spam calling or emails) from them but to answer my return calls with information. I was overwhelmed with dealers running outside to greet me (sort of like car salesmen) when I drove and parked inside their establishment. Told them I was just looking and WHOOSH they were gone. But at this dealership they provided me with a "cart" to drive around their lot and view what they had to offer. I looked for two days, they had such a large inventory. They want you financed with them (more money for them). I took a 10K certified check with me on my first arrival and when I found what I wanted from them, I bought it. I did get better service with them thinking I would finance with them. I went back the next day and gave them another certified check for the amount they quoted me. But to this day I still receive the best service from them. BTW, I did get a 37% discount off the original price. One more point to make, stay away from CW.
Old 07-18-2015, 04:25 PM   #27

In my experience there are not many professional sales people around. All they seem to be are order takers and that's it. When we were shopping not one asked me for my contact info nor did the ones I gave it to follow-up. I finally drove 400 miles to a friend that's been in the RV business for over 25 years and bought one over the phone sight unseen. No regrets.

But don't expect to find many sales people that are going to do much. We are trying to buy a second home in the Charlotte area and are finding the same to be true of Realestate sales people as well.

They want to write up a contract on everything they show you even if it doesn't fit what you said you want.

Go figure.
glenalt is offline   Reply With Quote