Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2015, 10:46 AM   #1

Buying a MH or Not!

I have been looking looking and looking for a another mh since mine burned and I am surprised at how difficult it is. Sales people these days are rude and act as if they don't care if they make a sale or not. And finding a mh that meets my criteria is even harder than dealing with the sales people. Just wanted to share my frustration.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2015, 10:49 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
To borrow Bill Clinton's line, "I feel your pain!"

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 11:59 AM   #3

It can be a pain to buy anything, not just a motorhome. But the frustrations are well worth it imo. I honestly can't picture us not having one.
Old 07-15-2015, 12:10 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiybrneyes View Post
I have been looking looking and looking for a another mh since mine burned and I am surprised at how difficult it is. Sales people these days are rude and act as if they don't care if they make a sale or not. And finding a mh that meets my criteria is even harder than dealing with the sales people. Just wanted to share my frustration.
Is this regarding your trip to PPL?
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 12:17 PM   #5
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
I can see the salesman side of this (I'm not defending salesman, I put them one step above politicians)

Tire kickers galore... I can see where a salesmen spends untold hours on a tire kicker, and misses real sales. I'm not sure what the solution is on either side of the equation...

Try this, Put a couple hundred down when you walk thru the door. This might show the salesman your serious and will not be wasting their time while you research your questions.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 12:21 PM   #6

Dealers are the worst part of RV'ing for me. Sales people just don't give a darn. Service is like nothing I have dealt with in the past with non rv items. I compare my dealers service to dealing with small children that you are trying to teach. I literally have to go through every repair to be sure a.) They actually did the work b.) That the work was done properly. Many times they simply drop the ball. If I ever find a reliable repair shop near Phoenix, I will be the first to share here. Just finding a place where there is pride in workmanship has been very elusive so far. I am stuck with my dealers service for the first year due to warranty.
Old 07-15-2015, 12:45 PM   #7

SMIYBRNEYES, please don't take this the wrong way. I'm a newby here, and upon reading your post wondered if you could expand a bit on it.
What sort of rig did you previously own, and the curcumstances of the fire.
It would be a learning thing for me. Additionaly, while I am not a fan of most salesmen, I'm curious as to what manner of rudeness they displayed.
And last when it comes to "criteria", what type or class coach do you have in mind, again, curious but respectfull minds ( at least mine I guess) would like to know. :-)
Old 07-15-2015, 01:49 PM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiybrneyes View Post

I would look for a model and floor plan you want, then get on the internet and try to find one from a private seller! That worked great for us!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 02:00 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by raineman View Post
Dealers are the worst part of RV'ing for me. Sales people just don't give a darn. Service is like nothing I have dealt with in the past with non rv items. I compare my dealers service to dealing with small children that you are trying to teach. I literally have to go through every repair to be sure a.) They actually did the work b.) That the work was done properly. Many times they simply drop the ball. If I ever find a reliable repair shop near Phoenix, I will be the first to share here. Just finding a place where there is pride in workmanship has been very elusive so far. I am stuck with my dealers service for the first year due to warranty.
Techs at the dealer are one step out of RV industries repair schools and are all still learning. When your warranty is up google mobile RV repair in Phoenix. I know there are a few. They cost a bit more but they come to you and they own their own business and must make good on their repairs. When they find you are a local they may cut you a deal on the hourly rate if you take the rig to them.
Old 07-15-2015, 03:30 PM   #10

We went on the internet and found our mh after many hours of searching. Called the dealer and talked to them on the phone and actually talked them down on the price some before we went to see it. After seeing it we discussed the price more. Eventually satisfied. We had to travel some to see it, but searching the internet made the whole process a lot easier, and if you don't like the way the salesman talks on the phone you can hang up.
jollyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 04:01 PM   #11

In response to your questions: My rv was parked next to my sister's Bounder in her backyard. The fire started in her Bounder and before fire department could get here, her tanks had exploded and blew over on to mine. Both mhs were burned to the ground. Fire inspector could not find the exact cause. He said in his experience Fleetwood has a history of not properly insulating the wires and thought that's where it started.

As to looking for rv, most of my looking has been on the internet. When calling dealerships about one they have advertised, they are quick to try to talk me into one that cost more than my budget. I am a cash buyer and surprisingly they don't seem to appreciate that. One man yesterday in response to my question, he said "I don't know everything" and turned and walked away. Excuse me, but I think I have a right to ask all the questions I want! There do not seem to be many used mhs for sale in Alabama...tons and tons of trailers....but very few used mhs. When I find what I am looking for it seems to be in Texas, California or Oregon....a long drive just to look...my reason for wanting to find a local individual to look for me. So any help or suggestions will be appreciated. I am getting very tired.
Old 07-15-2015, 04:26 PM   #12

We got our current MH while searching the internet, calling the dealer and working out a deal. The whole process happened over several months, several e-mails, along with several phone calls. We were dealing with a dealer in California and live in Alaska. We then drove our old MH down there to trade it in. Take your time, as there is one out there that will be what you are looking for.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 04:59 PM   #13

As a disclaimer, there are a few exceptions to what I am going to say.

At this point in the season, the used units on the dealer lots are generally those that everyone else passed up when they were looking earlier. Salespeople know this and generally don't want to waste time with something that probably won't sell. Beware of travelling great distances to look at used units. I wasted several trips travelling to see an RV that the salesperson claimed was mint. They would even send pictures. The pictures don't show the wear on the wood finishes inside, nor the many chips and even delamination. They know how to take the picture that won't show any flaws but I found plenty when I arrived to look at it. You might be better served to wait until fall or even early next spring and get a jump on someone's trade in. Right now your best bet is to find a private sale.
Old 07-15-2015, 05:26 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We searched and turned over many rocks to find our current gem for a price I willing to pay. Patience is your friend.