Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2016, 09:04 PM   #1

Buying a private party sale RV in CA ?'s

I am buying a private party sale Class A in CA. I reside in AZ but also have a 2nd home in CA for use when needed. I was thinking that it was a slam dunk as I shouldn't pay sales tax in AZ because it is a PP sale, correct?

Next thing is I started checking on registrations, etc. Seems the AZ reg is a pretty hefty number based on MSRP but mine will be a heck of a deal way, way below any past MSRP. The RV is 4 years old. I will have a Bill Of Sale with the RV after the sale is done.

What is the best way to handle this? Ideas???

2013 FLEETWOOD EXCURSION 33A

Excursion 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2016, 09:10 PM   #2

iRV2 No Limits Club
Good luck!!
Here in WA they don't go by the bill of sale if it looks too low. Then they use a private outfit to determine the value, which always seems to be higher than any other book value, although our Magna came in at about $70,000 under NADA and they accepted that OK.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 11:48 AM   #3

I can't see why they would use MSRP as the taxable amount on a 4 year old used MH. I would double check that. If you register it in California, it will be based on the actual sales price, based on the tax rate where your home is located that you register it to. You can go on the Ca DMV website and use the DMV Fee Calculator. Just put the info in and It will tell you the cost of tax and registration. The only way California DMV would asses it differently is if you play the game of you really paid $100,000, and you have the seller do a bill of sale for a ridiculous low sales price way below, for example $20,000. Then that would raise their suspicion, and they may have it evaluated.
Mike and Cha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 01:43 PM   #4

i remember az vehicle use tax is based on the bill of sale value, at least car purchase is. for rv, you might just call dmv to find out. probably you already know the democratic ca is expensive on this.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:40 PM   #5

Last time I purchased a car in California, they were hitting me up for a ridiculous 9.25% sales tax. I had the car transported out of the state and region even. I had to petition the state board of equalization.

If you live in Arizona and have your address of record there, you should be titling your motor home there.

I'd avoid California DMV like the plague. Doesn't California also require special driver licenses for motor home drivers with huge penalty fees for violations?
Old 07-28-2016, 09:24 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Doesn't California also require special driver licenses for motor home drivers with huge penalty fees for violations?
If the MH is over 40ft., OP sig. indicated the unit would be around 34ft.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:26 PM   #7

My understanding is that any private party vehicle purchase, in state or out of state, will not result in sales tax on the vehicle when it is registered in AZ.

Annual registration fees are based on MSRP, but this figure is reduced by a certain percentage point every year from new. My 2004 Fleetwood Fiesta with a MSRP of $77,301 had a registration fee of $669.60 back in 2009. This year, it is down to $169.36. I don't know what the percentage of reduction is every year, but that info is readily available on the ADOT website. There is also no annual personal property tax on vehicles in AZ.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:30 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Sort of off topic but we came through the border a few years ago. Fellow ahead of us had just had his boat impounded because the border agent said the bill of sale was bogus. The boat was going to be appraised the then duty applied.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:52 AM   #9

If you have home in ca then check both dmv locations.

Ca you need use tax for any sale other than new...Both are sales tax but "use" is their way to get you.

It may be better to pay ca amount to transfer than after a period of time transfer to AZ as a move not a sale.

Do check with both dmv...Ask about moving from ca to AZ costs and about time owned requirements...maybe on a different call.

Also note in ca you may need smog check but if only 4 years old maybe not until 5 yr old.

Get the vin and call or check.

In Ca the smog check and passing it are sellers responsibility and in this case real cheap inspection so request they get it done and provide ALL paperwork.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryl View Post
My understanding is that any private party vehicle purchase, in state or out of state, will not result in sales tax on the vehicle when it is registered in AZ.

Annual registration fees are based on MSRP, but this figure is reduced by a certain percentage point every year from new. My 2004 Fleetwood Fiesta with a MSRP of $77,301 had a registration fee of $669.60 back in 2009. This year, it is down to $169.36. I don't know what the percentage of reduction is every year, but that info is readily available on the ADOT website. There is also no annual personal property tax on vehicles in AZ.
Perfect. Thanks and I will go online and double check it all. I have sold boats and bought boats in AZ with no sales tax. Never bought or sold an RV while in AZ.

I did buy a Harley one time in AZ and brought it into CA to register. They made me pay sales tax....something about it wasn't old enough or something like that.

2013 FLEETWOOD EXCURSION 33A

Excursion 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:48 AM   #11

Out of state vehicles into ca must be owned for a period of time to insure one is not skirting smog equipment requirements but still must pass inspection.

Due to many folks messing with vehicles the equipment often is murdified which can cause failure of inspection that can cost big bucks to repair.

So law now requires seller to pay smog first but many do not know this.

If it is in ca insist seller get the smog check done and provide the paperwork as it has the test results for you to see.

Tags
sale