Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2015, 11:26 AM   #1

Buying a Rental Positive?

I am thinking of buying a used former rental class C motorhome. I have read many negative reviews mostly with renting them. And I know how things like this work people tend to complain on boards like this when things go wrong but just about nobody get on and says positive things about their experiences.

I don't need MORE negative feed back but I would love to hear from anyone who bought a fairly high mileage used former rental MH and what their good experiences were with it. Number of trips taken, where, when and how many years have you had it?

I had a class C in the mid 80s and loved it, but I did have to fix things quite often and expect to do so again. I am pretty mechanical and if I can't fix it I have a mechanic friend who can.

So if you have anything positive to say, please let me know about it. Also please list what you bought and which of the rental firms you bought it from if you would be so kind.
w3ozwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2015, 11:53 AM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
In Southern California, we have a rental company called El Monte Rental. In the past, you could walk in and buy any RV that they were renting, from a two old to a two year old model. My sister bought a used Class C from this company about 18 years ago. It was in nice shape and held up well. The things that broke were things that would have broken no matter who owned it.

Most companies keep their rentals in good shape, inside and out and mechanically. If you can find a nice clean one in your price range, it would probably be a good deal. Keep in mind most of the rentals are pretty basic and won't have the bells and whistles of higher end models. They typically leave the awnings off to so that the renters don't destroy them.

You'll find that many of the rentals, especially the smaller ones, are not really used for camping, but more as a transportation vehicle by foreigners who are visiting.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 05:02 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

You will find some real positives in this thread, which started out with the usual naysayers (none of whom had actually bought a rental RV themselves, by the way).

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f87/would...ca-201935.html
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:11 PM   #4

Thanks for reply. I went to the link and as you said, many dismissed the idea out of hand without ever owning one. I have been looking at the rental market and private sales for about a year now and can honestly say that I have found the same year and models by private folks at more than double the price and looking at condition in worse shape. I have pretty much decided to either buy from one of the national rental companies or just bite the bullet and buy a new one. I really think buying used no matter where I get one will leave me in a position where I may have to put out a lot of money to fix things and if I am going to do that I may as well start out as cheap as I can. Thanks again for the help.
w3ozwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:17 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
BTW Don, El Monte has rental places all over. We have one near us, just north of Bellingham,WA
Old 05-05-2015, 08:54 PM   #6

El Monte RV has a GREAT reputation in Southern Cal! And the poster who said that most are used by euros who "go easy" on them is correct - almost every El Monte rental we see in the park is very pleasant euros - I would think that buying from El Monte is a safe bet - good luck!
pismocouple is offline   Reply With Quote