Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2015, 10:39 PM   #1

Buying a used RV from Cruise America.

Since I've been a member of this site, I've read a number of postings made by folks who purchased a previosly owned RV of one type or another.
Before I purchased my winnebago trend, the wife and I considered buying a four winds majestic 19G from Cruise America. What held us back was the high mileage, usually around 115,000 to 135,000. Even at the relatively low price they ask for these 2010 units the additional purchase of warranty's for coach and engine adds about four thousand to the base price of $25,000. My credit union was more than happy to help me buy the 2014 winnebago trend, but they kinda baulked at haveing anything to do with a used unit from Cruise America.
I notice as yet I haven't read of anyone purchasing a used Cruise America unit
on here. Just curious if anyone here has and what their experience has been.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2015, 11:01 PM   #2
RVM99

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
There have been a number of threads about this before, you might start here.

bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 12:37 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Very interesting...never even thought about these RV's being sold, despite seeing them fly by us on the road for years, full of happy vacationers...

Didn't know these RV's are custom made for Cruise America...not an off the shelf RV.
Didn't know they were built by Four Winds
Didn't know they could have such high mileage...130K - 150,000 miles on a 2011! Wow! I guess that adds information to the "how many miles can a gas RV run" discussion.
Info from: Cruise America: Buy a Used RV or Motor Home

Learn something everyday
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 09:34 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Not so much custom-built as configured for the rental RV market. Anybody can order a custom configured RV, and if you order dozens at a time like Cruise America does, you can get them most any way you want.

The rental fleets have bought different brands at different times - Fleetwood Tiogas and Jamborees are also widely used. El Monte RV Rentals uses them right now, in fact. Currently CA is buying from Thor (Four Winds brand).
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 10:03 AM   #5
IC2

I have never considered one of these Class C's but the prices are inviting. Being pretty utilitarian for the rental market to me is actually a plus if the final price is 'right' since you can then decorate as you see fit with carpet, furniture and other. The 5 speed drive line with a 5.4 engine is pretty marginal, IMO, power wise but the V10, 6.8 is pretty bullet proof, lots of power and at 150K miles, even 'ridden hard and put to bed wet' usually wont hurt a thing - but it does need new spark plugs installed by the seller not a new owner as that project is beyond pain. If it has an '11 up 6.7 diesel and the 6 speed auto, it's just starting to be broken in even though it has the cab and chassis lower horsepower and torque rating. Of course, if a private party had a very low mileage unit, reasonably equipped, then it might be even better - but that wasn't the question asked.
Old 07-04-2015, 10:19 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
I personally would not ever, and I do mean ever buy any rental vehicle, not an rv or car or truck,or small rental backhoe, nothing. I have seen over and over, different ya-hoos, beating brand new rental cars to death on and off road. A local short track used to have " spectator races" on sat nites, race your street car on the 1/4 mile oval for 10 lap races, everyone started renting cars, buying the extra insurance,shoe polish number,lets go racing!!!!! How would you like to buy one of those, also saw rental car races at local gravel banks on sat afternoons. Buy one of those, no thank you. Think about how many people were doing who knows what how many times in a rental rv, no thanks. happy 4th everyone
oh, just my opinion.
ps years ago,there was the Hertz mustang gt rental car,everyone started drag racing them on weekends, they got rid of those quick!!!!!!

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
rapid rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 10:09 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

There are plenty of owned RVs that are neglected or abused too, Rick.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 05:27 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
There are plenty of owned RVs that are neglected or abused too, Rick.
You are absolutely correct about that, breaks my heart to see rv's in someones yard going to pot, why, I don't know, just sitting, all moldy, unused,huge investment going to waste, I just want to stop and wash it for them, bring it back to life. It must have to do with my upbringing, was always told, you want something, work for it, can't afford new,make whatever you have look new, take care of it, and it will serve you well.I have lived those ideals my whole life. Nothing has ever come easy or free for me,can't honestly say that I would change anything, just find it hard to comprehend what some do, just saying.....

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
Old 07-06-2015, 05:33 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapid rick View Post
I personally would not ever, and I do mean ever buy any rental vehicle...oh, just my opinion.
ps years ago,there was the Hertz mustang gt rental car,everyone started drag racing them on weekends, they got rid of those quick!!!!!!
The Hertz (Pensky) GT is back...was just gone during the Charley's Angels years of Mustangs
And reportedly because renters were swapping (stealing) engines during weekend rentals
https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/misc/...mustang_gt.jsp

Click image for larger version

Name:	penske_mustang_f_600x445.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	99355

Don't know if I would buy one of these (or any rental)...but those original GT's are worth a mint if you got one

And...the Cruise America RV's might be a way to get into the hobby, cheap...and they come with a warranty
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:38 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
The Hertz (Pensky) GT is back...was just gone during the Charley's Angels years of Mustangs

OH, how I miss charlies angels,those were the days, I did not know about the motor swaps,wow, big ones,never would have thought......... I guess if you have a really good et on sunday, worth the rental fee? Top it off with a fast motor, really worth the money, is that what you call stretching your money???

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K