Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2019, 12:31 PM   #1

Buying almost new consignment through a large new dealer

We've finally found the unicorn we are looking for, recent vintage and hardly used, but being sold under consignment. Salesman made it clear they can't guarantee anything, unlike the units the dealership actually owns, since they're just brokering the deal, aside from the MB chassis and drive train warranty, which transfers. He didn't push too hard for a similar but different enough used unit in their possession that we are passing on. It's just not what we want, but the consignment unit is almost exactly what we want aside from some minor stuff that in the end really doesn't matter (minor color scheme 'issue').

I've read as many threads here as I can find on consignment sales, but they've all been about listing and selling, not about buying such a unit.

Is there anything I should know or look out for here? I'm far from a noob with sailboat sales through brokers, both buying and selling. But not RVs. It's a long way from here, so I'd have to fly out and inspect it myself or pay a surveyor (or both), and I don't know if a surveyor is worth the money, but that's a separate issue. And I'd be driving the 1600 miles back alone, most likely, as DW won't fly unless there's no other way. Me driving alone presents another way.

Does anyone have any insight into how this works, how much negotiation is expected, or any other advise? I don't want to just jump on it based on emotion, but then, that really does have a lot to do with this particular choice in the end.
KanzKran is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2019, 12:51 PM   #2

When we sold a rig through consignment the buyers made an offer below the asking price and for the tires to be replaced. The dealer called us with the offer and we accepted. So yes, offer what you think is fair and lock the price in before flying out and based on a test drive and satisfactory inspection. I’d also consider a private inspection before flying out unless it would cost you considerably more than the flight and you’re comfortable putting it through its paces before buying.
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 02:20 PM   #3

So far as I know, private sales, which I suspect a consignment sale
falls under, are buyer beware, as is, with no warranty. This probably
varies by state tho. I'd want an inspection at the least. As for
bargaining, make a lower offer and see what happens. Of course while
all this is going on someone else could buy it.
Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 04:47 PM   #4

Buying almost new consignment through a large new dealer

We purchased a 2012 Class A from an consignment dealor. It was within 4 hour drive from home. The consignment dealor repaired a few minor issues at no cost to us.

We made a cash offer “all in” meaning it included tax, title and license. We replaced the tires in the way home. And made that cost a part of the negotiation.

Prior to purchase we did a lot of research on extended warranty, insurance and roadside repair.

We purchased the extended warranty to cover any unexpected large expense, and roadside repair. We have used roadside repair - twice for small items.

Have been very happy with our investment.

Sounds like you have a lot of experience that will help you make a good decision.
Jerrilynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 07:59 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Before you put any $$$ down hire an independent inspector go over the rig from nose to tail and all systems.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 08:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrilynn View Post
We purchased a 2012 Class A from an consignment dealor. It was within 4 hour drive from home. The consignment dealor repaired a few minor issues at no cost to us.

We made a cash offer “all in” meaning it included tax, title and license. We replaced the tires in the way home. And made that cost a part of the negotiation.

Prior to purchase we did a lot of research on extended warranty, insurance and roadside repair.

We purchased the extended warranty to cover any unexpected large expense, and roadside repair. We have used roadside repair - twice for small items.

Have been very happy with our investment.

Sounds like you have a lot of experience that will help you make a good decision.
Might I inquire who you use for extended warranty and roadside assistance?
RAM 305RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 08:14 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Before I bought a MH I would want to have it inspected. There are too many expensive things on an RV that an fail. They go unnoticed by the untrained eye. It is money well spent.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 08:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM 305RL View Post
Might I inquire who you use for extended warranty and roadside assistance?

We selected Good Sam. And have been happy with our selection. I am aware there are many opinions on this subject. We have had good service.
Jerrilynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 11:01 PM   #9

We consigned our Newmar motorhome through PPL in Houston. PPL suggested a price. We upped it because we thought most people want to dicker price. Our buyer really wanted it and offered full price if he could have an independent inspection done. We agreed. By the way, at PPL they are just the middle man. If the buyer wants to negotiate or asks questions about the RV it is relayed to the seller to agree or not. Buyer/seller makes the decisions. So the party had the inspection done and no issues were found. The buyer flew in from Florida and we sold it within a month for full price. Very good experience for buyer and seller. Not all consignments work the same way.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 06:56 AM   #10

When we were looking for a MH we found a consignment unit that checked all the boxes. It had been sitting for a couple of years and needed new tires and complete maintenance.
Like you that all had to be relayed to the seller with our offer. The owner balked and gave a few $ discount so we moved on.

Shortly thereafter we bought a different coach from the same dealer. I spoke to the salesperson recently and they did finally sell the other coach after having it for 5 months for less than our original offer.

Folks who have an emotional attachment to something usually value it for more than the market does.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:13 AM   #11

The way I was told consignment work is this way. The dealer offers the seller a fixed price if sold and then they mark it up for a profit. When bargaining your asking the dealer to not make as much money.

Buyer beware as the dealer knows nothing about the rig and they can say that or not. The dealer may make sure the rig is road worthy for liability reasons but that is it. Do you know the age of the tires?

Insist the seller provide service records or expect to service everything upon purchase. For my DP, I got the engine serial number and called the manufacture to find service history from dealerships. Carfax told me where the coach lived in its past life.

Since your so far away have a local person inspect it. Call a different dealer for a referral.

Most importantly be prepared to walk away if you do not like it even though you have traveled a long ways.

Good Luck.
gpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 06:26 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

It's just a private sale with an assist from a paid professional broker. Other than the usual inspection of the vehicle for acceptable condition, the only major thing is to insure you get a clean title. The broker has probably already assured that the vehicle title can be transferred ok, but ask that it be verified before you go out there. If they (the seller and his broker) cannot provide a clear title, there is no sense going at all. Before you go, make sure you know what your state requires to register a new title for an out-of-state vehicle. It's not something you can easily finesse - the rules are always strict.

If the seller/broker starts mumbling and back-pedaling and maybe mentions a salvage or rebuilt title, take a time out and contact your state DMV about their rules for accepting such titles. It's too often a snakepit.
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 11:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpounder View Post
The way I was told consignment work is this way. The dealer offers the seller a fixed price if sold and then they mark it up for a profit. When bargaining your asking the dealer to not make as much money.
That's not how PPL consignment works. We put the price we wanted on ours. No money was exchanged until the buyer bought it. PPL doesn't mark it up. The price we put on it stayed. They got 10% commission.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 09:31 AM   #14

Well, I just made an offer, so we'll see how this goes. I have an NRVIA Level 2 inspector who's local to the dealer lined up, but I won't pull the trigger unless and until we come to an agreement on price. But I think we'll get there pretty fast. Just a gut feeling, nothing more.

Wish me luck.
KanzKran is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, dealer