Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2012, 05:25 PM   #1

Buying at a Major Show

Just came back from my first Hershey Show. Went to see what was available as there are only a couple of small dealers in my area for a planned replacement next year. Could not help but notice some exceptional deal making. I am concerned with buying from a major show with all the dealers a couple of hours away from home. Those of you that have done this, What was the experience like? Would you do it again? Tips?

Thanks,

Nutmeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2012, 09:22 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

We haven't bought at a show, but bought our last two rigs from a dealer two hours away. One new coach and one used one. We don't consider that a problem, but we are retired so can go spend a couple days there if needed, or can drop the rig off and come home again.

If you travel a lot, i.e. fulltime or part time, odds are that service will be needed when you are away from home anyway, so the location of the selling dealer is unimportant.

You can also get warranty service at other dealers for the brand. And if its an appliance, e.g. a fridge or washing machine, it doesn't even have to be a dealer for your RV brand (but you are likely to get more sympathy from a dealer).

Personally, I would rather have a few extra thousand in my pocket than a near-by dealer, but that would depend to some extent on the local dealer. If he is one of the [relatively few] good ones, it is worth some $$ to have him on your side. Most of them, however, would not command that sort of loyalty from me. They all love ya when a sale is in the wind, though.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:27 AM   #3

Like anything else you buy in this world, don't expect all the salesman promises to come true after you drive away. Research alot before you go to a show and know what you want and like in a manufacture.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:37 AM   #4

Since you said that you're not replacing your current rig until next year, hopefully you used the show to find the one most suitable for you and your needs. Now use the winter to research the ones you like, find the best price, etc. Then you can go shop in earnest when the time comes and be a better informed consumer. Maybe a local dealer will get to a price you are happy with and your worries about buying far away from home will vanish.

But don't hesitate to purchase from afar if the price is right. Folk do it all the time.
denverhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverhank View Post
Since you said that you're not replacing your current rig until next year, hopefully you used the show to find the one most suitable for you and your needs. Now use the winter to research the ones you like, find the best price, etc. Then you can go shop in earnest when the time comes and be a better informed consumer. Maybe a local dealer will get to a price you are happy with and your worries about buying far away from home will vanish.

But don't hesitate to purchase from afar if the price is right. Folk do it all the time.
That was our idea, to see a lot of diffrent manufactors and floor plans and narrow it down over the winter to what our next rig should be. Still trying to work out what is the best stradegy for how long / how often to trade these. ie keep and run until 10 years or so old or trade so you are never more than 5/6 years old.

Of course looking at so many choices we found living rooms and bedrooms we loved but not in the same floorplan of course. Was a great time all in all. Sales pressure from some vendors was a bit insane but I can deal with that. The promises and in some cases not having the actual unit there, and having to wait a few weeks to pick it up hundreds of miles from home were concerns.

In my simple mind I was thinking dealers would be more set up to deliver product a day or two after the show. Hense the question on people that have done it after hindsight comes into play their thoughts.
Nutmeg is offline   Reply With Quote