Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2018, 03:55 PM   #15

Okay, $26,000, maybe up to $36,000. We purchased our MH, see sig, 3 years ago for a little over $30,000. I don't think a Winnebago Adventurer is considered entry level. Less than 50,000 miles when we purchased it and everything worked. Now, will you have to invest some money on maintenance, etc., sure. But that's a given with any used MH. How old are the tires? What if something stops working? We had an exhaust leak at the exhaust manifold, broken studs. Around $800 to replace the manifolds with headers, so I don't have to deal with it again. Start cap on 2nd A/C compressor failed, replaced start caps on both compressors, less the $25. Ignitor failed on water heater, less than $20. Another thing to consider, can you do your or maintenance? That makes a huge difference in the costs. I replaced the above items, cost would have been more than double if I paid to have those things done. It's over $100 for an oil change or I can do it myself for less that $40 and that's using Mobile 1 synthetic. Now talk diesel pusher and the maintenance costs are even higher. Just some things to consider for your budget. You have the cost of the MH but you also have to consider maintenance.

Oh, our MH sits on a Workhorse W22 chassis. GM 8.1L with Allison trans. Great combination in a gasser.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2018, 04:38 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70ChevelleSS View Post
Okay, $26,000, maybe up to $36,000. We purchased our MH, see sig, 3 years ago for a little over $30,000. I don't think a Winnebago Adventurer is considered entry level. Less than 50,000 miles when we purchased it and everything worked. Now, will you have to invest some money on maintenance, etc., sure. But that's a given with any used MH. How old are the tires? What if something stops working? We had an exhaust leak at the exhaust manifold, broken studs. Around $800 to replace the manifolds with headers, so I don't have to deal with it again. Start cap on 2nd A/C compressor failed, replaced start caps on both compressors, less the $25. Ignitor failed on water heater, less than $20. Another thing to consider, can you do your or maintenance? That makes a huge difference in the costs. I replaced the above items, cost would have been more than double if I paid to have those things done. It's over $100 for an oil change or I can do it myself for less that $40 and that's using Mobile 1 synthetic. Now talk diesel pusher and the maintenance costs are even higher. Just some things to consider for your budget. You have the cost of the MH but you also have to consider maintenance.

Oh, our MH sits on a Workhorse W22 chassis. GM 8.1L with Allison trans. Great combination in a gasser.
Thanks for contributing here. Yes, I can do my own maintenance. I am quite handy and if I can keep my wife's Rover running I can keep an RV going. Spent the last 25 years making a living with my hands in a service business(locksmithing), so I have some skills that way. What I don't have is a big bank account that I can dedicate to another RV. I spent most of my "fun money" on my powered parachute so that I can train others to fly them!

For those still reading this thread if you have a choice between a Newmar Mountain Aire gasser (8.1 GM) or a Country Coach diesel pusher for the same money which would you chose? I realize the Newmar is likely built better and has nicer interior appointments.
PPCPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 04:42 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPCPilot View Post
I agree. I am actually OK with a 2000 model diesel pusher but the challenge has been finding one that hasn't had multiple owners and left with who knows what for needed repairs. I need to find a family selling off ma and pa's rig that they bought new and drove seldom but cared for diligently....that they will sell for my budget. This is my challenge in finding a dp coach.

The gas unit I have looked at on the classifieds (on this site) and have spoken to the owner IS a one owner and after visiting with him a long time on the phone I feel good about the miles and condition prior to getting my eyes on it...but are the miles on a gasser troublesome or have these newer engines proven themselves enough to be confident in them for 300K miles? I put just over 20K miles on our Class C in just over 3 years.
Budget could be a problem. But when I'm buying something like a RV, Boat or right now I'm looking for a new to me dual wheel truck. I never buy new, I have a 1998 Bayliner cabin cruiser that I drove one state away for. bought a 5th wheel once 900 miles away, right now I'm searching for the right truck anywhere in the USA but all have and will be bought from the first owners. If your not in a hurry you can find that one owner rig. It may not be a DP but you will know everything about it. Oh and nothing with a salvaged title. Good luck and let us know.
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 05:09 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by weredoingit View Post
Budget could be a problem. But when I'm buying something like a RV, Boat or right now I'm looking for a new to me dual wheel truck. I never buy new, I have a 1998 Bayliner cabin cruiser that I drove one state away for. bought a 5th wheel once 900 miles away, right now I'm searching for the right truck anywhere in the USA but all have and will be bought from the first owners. If your not in a hurry you can find that one owner rig. It may not be a DP but you will know everything about it. Oh and nothing with a salvaged title. Good luck and let us know.
Funny you say this. I just had a really nice one owner dually come across my facebook feed this morning. It is a 2000 F550 with a western hauler bed on it with only 89XXX miles on it! The guy wants $21K for it though.
PPCPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 05:16 PM   #19

Quote:
Funny you say this. I just had a really nice one owner dually come across my facebook feed this morning. It is a 2000 F550 with a western hauler bed on it with only 89XXX miles on it! The guy wants $21K for it though.
I'm looking at f350 or f450 diesel 2015 or newer. 4x4 crew cab.
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 05:44 PM   #20

If I had your budget I would not touch a DP. There are too many things that can go wrong that will cost close to half your purchase budget or more to fix. Some of them you will be able to do yourself and some you won't unless you can get access to the computer and are used to diesel and heavy equipment. There is also a learning curve on owning them. The most recent thread I recall was an owner who did not know he had to drain his air tanks and ended up with a $6000 bill. The age you are looking at with your price point also falls out where rubber parts start aging out. Check the price of new air bags for the suspension.

Good luck with your hunt. I'd stay a bit shorter for two of you.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 05:58 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
It appears you are looking for a gasser in the price range you would like to spend. It may be difficult to find a later model top quality unit as well. However if you look at finding a good gas unit the engine that comes with it will be decided. There are proponents of all motor brands but all will work.

Find the floor plan that makes you happy.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:05 PM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This is what needs done on a 10-20 year old Coach! (In my opinion)
I fully support the idea of buying a older coach at the right price! But hate hearing the horror story’s about people being broke down unprepared along the high way!
Before heading out on a long trip. My plan is Alaska.
Also note there is no labor included in these prices! So if you’re not a do it your selfer!
Cost

Description
$4,161.00

6 Michelin Tires
$142.00

Eng Air Cleaner
$30.00

Eng Oil Filter
$76.00

Eng 3 fuel Filters
$70.69

Eng Belts
$153.00

Rottela 5gal
$60.94

Onan Generator 3 Filters
$177.77

Trans Fluid
$65.00

Trans Filter
$116.00

Air Dryer HalDex Kit DQ6026
$386.66

4 Bilstien Shocks
$949.33

Air Springs SAF Holland
$241.67

4 Brake diaphragm

$39.34

Wiper Blades
$62.01

Thermastat, Filter
$350.00

Cooling Hose's Est.
$100.00

Antifreeze 329 Est.
$20.00

Distilled Water Est.
$500.00

Front End Alignment Est.
$50.00

Rim for spare tire Est
$250.00

Toad Tow Bar
$230.00

Toad BrakeMaster Brake Sys
$12.00

2 Wheel Chocks
$51.95

EternaBond RoofSeal Tape
$43.88

EternaBond Caulk Roof
$12.50

Weather strip Air Cond
$26.99

Shower Vent Cover
$193.20

Air Cond Covers 2
$78.00

Bath Skylight CD16X24
$42.35

Toilet Riser
$600.00

TPMS Est.
$325.00

Surge Protetector Est.
$125.00

Scanguage D Est.
$9,742.28
Old 01-22-2018, 06:12 PM   #23

Over the years I’ve owned five class A gas Motorhomes, a 440 Chrysler, a 460 Ford, two with a GM 454 P30, and a GM Workhorse with an 8.1 / Allison. Without question the Workhorse GM was by far my most satisfying gas Motorhome. The 8.1 with the 5 speed Allison was a great power train. Then I moved up to a DP about two years ago and will never go back to a gas Motorhome. Therefore my recommendation would be hold out for a older clean DP, but realize that all your maintenance items will be more costly (oil changes, fuel filters, air dryers, etc.). If your budget will not allow a DP at this point in time, I recommend finding something on a Workhorse chassis, preferably the W22.
LOV2TRAVEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 06:33 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
You might want to spend some time looking through the older Airstream motorhomes. The cult of airstream nets some pretty well looked after stuff sometimes.

Airstream Motorhomes For Sale Archives - Airstream Trailer Classifieds - Airstream Trailers For Sale

And I have a hunch that Motor Homes of Texas might be willing to work with you some on this little gem 1999 American Tradition TVS 40 Priced at $ 39500 And I trust those guys not to sell real junk.

I'll see what else I can dig up.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 06:47 PM   #25

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Although I did have a higher budget and was looking for a specific make and model (see signature) I still looked everyday for over two years on RV Trader for just the right unit at the right price. Waiting that long and looking everyday, sometimes several times a day really paid off for me. The one I purchased had only been posted for an hour and I was one of the first to call and ask if I could come see it, it was 6 hours away. On RV Trader you can customize your search which helps in locating the "just right for you" unit. As for the difference between Gas and Diesel, I think it depends on how much and how long you plan on using and keeping the unit. Diesel is built for the long haul with more power, but cost more to maintain. Gas is easier to maintain and may be a little less expensive to maintain, and if you are not using it full time should last. As far as a Newmar product it is one of the best with lots of options and I am sure there are more of them are on the market. Also check RVT.com it is different from RV Trader. I also did some research on my unit, I did an internet search of the V.I.N. and found some information about my unit as to when it was sold and to whom. I also called the manufacturer and asked if they could give me any history they had on the unit, which they did. Just some things for you to try to get that just right unit with a piece of mind when purchasing. Good Luck on your search and keep asking questions the people on this forum are always willing to help.
Oldguy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 07:24 PM   #26

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks for contributing here. Yes, I can do my own maintenance. I am quite handy and if I can keep my wife's Rover running I can keep an RV going. Spent the last 25 years making a living with my hands in a service business(locksmithing), so I have some skills that way. What I don't have is a big bank account that I can dedicate to another RV. I spent most of my "fun money" on my powered parachute so that I can train others to fly them!

For those still reading this thread if you have a choice between a Newmar Mountain Aire gasser (8.1 GM) or a Country Coach diesel pusher for the same money which would you chose? I realize the Newmar is likely built better and has nicer interior appointments.
All things being equal..I would absolutely go with the Country Coach! even if it is a year or five older....
The Newmars (gas or diesel) are not even close to the build & quality of a Country Coach..never have been and doubt they ever will be....
(They are nearly on par with Foretravel interiors.) ....
Go look "In Person" and you will understand..

Also My Brother-in-Law has a '99 CC, non slide 36 footer that still looks/runs good and he full times in it..damn near't bullit proof
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 07:56 PM   #27

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Service Records

One of the things that prompted me to wrote the check on our 2004 Safari Trek was an availability of complete service records since new. We are the third owners and both the previous owners had saved their receipts for upgrades and PM which allowed me to see how the coach had been maintained. I admit to being anal about keeping log books on all my vehicles, but have found that it works better than my failing memory.

If the modern gas engine has routine scheduled service, it should go many, many miles without trouble. My Trek is pushing 65,000 miles, but I believe we are good for at least 150K and maybe more. The newer generation 8.1 engines are a well built piece.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:59 PM   #28

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Previous post

Ignore my signature. Need to update that from previous MH.

Tags
buying, diesel, ford, gas