Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2014, 03:07 PM   #1
UAV

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Buying from Out of State Seller

Hello Everybody...

I know this has been asked before but I can't seem to find it when searching.

I am dealing with a private seller, very nice couple, and they are asking to be paid (either directly or to their lien holder) the money for the coach so they can get a clear title delivered to them by the time I pick up.

Question is this: How do I send them the money so they can get me the clear title without sending them a large junk of money in advance? Will a Bill of Sale do the trick? Does anyone know if I should just wait to pay until I get back down for pick up and just have the Seller mail me the title while just having the Bill of Sale as proof of purchase?

I would like to stress that the seller is not pushing me to do anything with which I am not comfortable but I still need to be careful.

Thanks to all.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2014, 03:11 PM   #2

YOU DONT!!!!
Never NEVER send anybody money, unless you are willing to loose it.
When you have decided that this is the ideal vehicle and have inspected and test driven it, go with the couple to the lien holder, pay the lien holder the amount necessary to clear the title and then give the balance to the sellers. You can then get a bill of sale. The lien holder will send you the clear title and then you go to your DMV office to apply for a new title in your state

450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 03:15 PM   #3
UAV

That makes complete sense! Don and Lorri ROCK!

I have seen it, inspected it, etc. so I shall just bring a cashier's check with me and do it as you suggest!

Thanks!
Old 05-09-2014, 03:16 PM   #4
UAV

PS...What if the bank cannot give me clear title for a few days? I won't be able to hang out. Would the Bill of Sale work until they send me the title?
Old 05-09-2014, 03:35 PM   #5

Usually the title is sitting someplace and not at the bank. A notarized bill of sale should be just as good except for getting the title in your state. BTW it is very possible that the lien holder is not even near the sellers. Do you know who holds the lien? Local bank or some nationwide finance company. The title on my fiver is held back east somewhere and I live in the far west. In that case it could get sticky. Then you might want to contact the sellers finance company and determine how they would like you to handle the situation. Possibly mail then a check for the payoff directly and give the sellers the balance and get a bill of sale from them. There is no way I would trust the sellers with the whole amount in hopes that they will pay off the loan. And visa versa they should not trust you either without proof that their lien holder has a good check.
450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 03:39 PM   #6
UAV

The coach is in Florida and the Lien Holder is Suntrust Bank.
Old 05-09-2014, 04:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
YOU DONT!!!!
Never NEVER send anybody money, unless you are willing to loose it.
When you have decided that this is the ideal vehicle and have inspected and test driven it, go with the couple to the lien holder, pay the lien holder the amount necessary to clear the title and then give the balance to the sellers. You can then get a bill of sale. The lien holder will send you the clear title and then you go to your DMV office to apply for a new title in your state

This is the correct way to proceed. You can also go to the County Clerk where you intend to licenses it with the VIN & see if they will sell you a temp tag to get you home. You should be able to get your insurance carrier to go ahead with your insurance policy. They should be able to email you a temp insurance card. Don't forget roadside service insurance also. Driving home from purchasing is a vulnerable time.

So long as you have this type of verifiable paperwork with you, that should satisfy any LEO you might encounter.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 04:21 PM   #8
UAV

Sounds great and thanks again you guys. Very helpful.

Common sense, really. Just wasn't thinking it all through!
Old 05-09-2014, 09:02 PM   #9

You should be aware that if you go to the DMV in Florida seeking a temporary tag to drive home with, be prepared to pay them the sales tax. If they have a reciprocal agreement with your home state then when you register it, your state will apply what you paid. Florida does not allow the plates to stay on the vehicle, they belong to the owner so you will not have any plates. I don't encourage you to violate the law but in my case there is no way I was handing them thousands of dollars to hopefully get it back from DMV in Calif. I figured the worst that could happen is I get a ticket for no plates. I did carry all the purchase paperwork in case I was stopped. We had no problems. As far as the funding goes, without a wire transfer there might be several days delay in the funds clearing by check.
You should have the owners get the bank on board with what is happening so there are no surprises. Do not expect the local branch to handle everything without some prior notice.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:15 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
If you show up at an Arizona DMV without a clear out of state title you won't believe the fun you will have. Borders right up with having a root canal without deadening. Been there, done that three times.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:28 AM   #11

I purchased fr private owner in fl, what we did was use a mutual attorney, I advanced enough funds to pay off lein and gave the attorney the balance with agreement to release to owner upon delivery of clear title, we split the cost of the attorney. I took delivery of the coach, used owners plate with my insurance CO's understanding that I would be the payee if anything happened along the way. I had a bill of sale., it took almost 30days to get the title. Most Lien holders keep titles stored in a data center in electronic form.
You may want to check your options so far as taxes are concerned.
Good luck