Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2016, 08:12 PM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
I drove home last year with sellers plates and mailed them back to him
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2016, 09:26 PM   #16

American Coach Owners Club
My post was mainly for buying out of state. Are "you" registering the RV in your home state or driving without registration? Obviously "you're" insuring the vehicle, but using an out of state plate, registered to another person, but insured by "you", could possibly be a problem, right? Jersey is so rigid with DMV regulations, with liability concerns, & one of the highest insurance rates in the country, allowing someone to "use" your plates usually isn't going to happen... Here, if you get pulled over, it's "license, registration & insurance", if they don't "match up", you're probably going to have your vehicle impounded.
Lisablue85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 09:55 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gas or diesel?

If it is gas it has to pass California smog requirements.

You really need to talk to the Department of Motor Vehicles and get your information straight from the horses mouth.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 10:36 PM   #18

I live in Idaho. Just so you know you do pay sales tax in Idaho on a private sale. But only inside Idaho. if you buy the Rv in Idaho you should just pay the sales tax in ca at the time of registration and maybe have to have the cops do a inspection make sure you have the bill of sale.
Idahoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 04:03 AM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisablue85 View Post
My post was mainly for buying out of state. Are "you" registering the RV in your home state or driving without registration? Obviously "you're" insuring the vehicle, but using an out of state plate, registered to another person, but insured by "you", could possibly be a problem, right? Jersey is so rigid with DMV regulations, with liability concerns, & one of the highest insurance rates in the country, allowing someone to "use" your plates usually isn't going to happen... Here, if you get pulled over, it's "license, registration & insurance", if they don't "match up", you're probably going to have your vehicle impounded.

I purchased the MH in Kansas and drove it to Oklahoma. A three hour drive. I had the owners registration, insurance card, plates, and permission to drive along with his phone number. We checked with his insurance company that drivers over the age of 25 are covered under his policy to drive the Motorhome. When pulled over they check for "A" DL, registered and insurance card. I guess in NJ if a mechanic road test your car and gets pulled over and the registration and insurance does not match his DL your car is impounded right?
Old 01-19-2016, 05:43 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifemember View Post
I purchased the MH in Kansas and drove it to Oklahoma. A three hour drive. I had the owners registration, insurance card, plates, and permission to drive along with his phone number. We checked with his insurance company that drivers over the age of 25 are covered under his policy to drive the Motorhome. When pulled over they check for "A" DL, registered and insurance card. I guess in NJ if a mechanic road test your car and gets pulled over and the registration and insurance does not match his DL your car is impounded right?
Sorry! Should've been more precise! Only registration & insurance has to match the vehicle that's being driven.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:37 AM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
We bought our new coach in Oregon and live in California. I didn't know I had to have it smogged. It's brand new! It took 4 trips to DMV to wade through all the paperwork. I had a temp registration from Oregon and then from California before finally getting the plates.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 01:09 PM   #22

Quote:
Plates always stay with the owner, not the vehicle, in any state, after a sale.
not in oregon. plates stay with vehicle
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 02:51 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Plates always stay with the owner, not the vehicle, in any state, after a sale.
Not true in California.

The plates stay with the vehicle UNLESS they are a personalized plate in which case they stay with the owner.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 02:58 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverfever View Post
not in oregon. plates stay with vehicle
Only if the vehicle stays in Oregon though, right? What happens if a buyer from Jersey (&#128521 buys the vehicle? The plates wouldn't be needed. Do you guys turn the plates in to the DMV?
I am wondering though, what happens when a person buys a car from a seller, both from Oregon, & the new owner never registers the car? Technically the car, if involved in a hit & run or a crime, would be linked to the former owner. Could be a huge problem, right? Not being a wise ass, just trying to figure out how "you" protect yourself, not everyone is honest or does the right thing.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:42 PM   #25

I would have paid the tax in Idaho, way cheaper!
Old 01-19-2016, 04:32 PM   #26

Quote:
Only if the vehicle stays in Oregon though, right? What happens if a buyer from Jersey (&#128521 buys the vehicle? The plates wouldn't be needed. Do you guys turn the plates in to the DMV?
I am wondering though, what happens when a person buys a car from a seller, both from Oregon, & the new owner never registers the car? Technically the car, if involved in a hit & run or a crime, would be linked to the former owner. Could be a huge problem, right? Not being a wise ass, just trying to figure out how "you" protect yourself, not everyone is honest or does the right thing.

In the state of WA the seller is required to report the sale within 5 business days regardless of the disposition of the plates. If the plates are specialty plates they are kept by the seller, if generic plates they stay with the car. At the time of notification the seller is released from liabilities. Two examples that made the news recently. There are some toll roads that read the license plate and bill you if you do not have the Good 2 Go Pass. There are people that were stuck with the tolls from the time they sold the car until they notified the DMV. A separate case in the news involved a wreck and towing / impound / abandon vehicle fees. The seller was responsible for the fees as he did not notify the DMV and was still listed as the owner at the time the fees occurred (it was within the 5 day window). The amount was more significant and was told by the state that his only recourse was small claims court against the buyer of the car. So to answer your question the sooner a seller reports the sell the sooner you protect yourself.

Mike
mikelcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 04:46 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahoboy View Post
I live in Idaho. Just so you know you do pay sales tax in Idaho on a private sale. But only inside Idaho. if you buy the Rv in Idaho you should just pay the sales tax in ca at the time of registration and maybe have to have the cops do a inspection make sure you have the bill of sale.
We keep the plates when the vehicle is sold here in Idaho. (states so on our vehicle registration form)

Drive your MH home to California, register and pay sales tax at your local DMV.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:12 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelcan View Post
In the state of WA the seller is required to report the sale within 5 business days regardless of the disposition of the plates. If the plates are specialty plates they are kept by the seller, if generic plates they stay with the car. At the time of notification the seller is released from liabilities. Two examples that made the news recently. There are some toll roads that read the license plate and bill you if you do not have the Good 2 Go Pass. There are people that were stuck with the tolls from the time they sold the car until they notified the DMV. A separate case in the news involved a wreck and towing / impound / abandon vehicle fees. The seller was responsible for the fees as he did not notify the DMV and was still listed as the owner at the time the fees occurred (it was within the 5 day window). The amount was more significant and was told by the state that his only recourse was small claims court against the buyer of the car. So to answer your question the sooner a seller reports the sell the sooner you protect yourself.

Mike
Thanks! Here in Jersey, when the vehicle is sold, plates are removed by seller & turned over to the DMV. New owner (if from Jersey also) has to show a title & proof of insurance before they can register the car, if all goes well, they'll get their new registration card & plates. I guess an out of state buyer has to figure out how to arrange to get the car "legal".
Also, here, only the titled owner is allowed to register the vehicle.... AND to do just about anything at NJ DMV you have to show A LOT of different forms of identification ... What a pain in the a$$ THAT is, lol! I've had a CDL for over 30 years & every 4 years it needs to be renewed, in person... The paperwork just for that is ridiculous!