Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2014, 09:06 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Buying new batteries at Costco

I am planning on replacing my chassis batteries with new ones. When you buy a new battery at Costco, does it come fully charged, or do I need to charge it with a battery charger when I get it home?
sadrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2014, 09:09 AM   #2

They are charged, but you may need to top them off.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:00 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My chassis batteries are group 31, I have never seen them in Costco. They do have good deals on the 6 volt GC batts. The local Sams carries the GP 31s and GCs.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:39 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You shouldn't have to charge it.

Every battery I ever bought was charged well enough to get things going.

I always check the water level and have had to add water to a couple batteries that I bought.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:41 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Motorcycle batteries come dry, with a separate container of electrolyte that needs to be installed, and the the battery gets put on a charger for a few hours before installation. All other automotive batteries come pre-filled and charged, although if they sit on the shelf for untold months they might need to be topped off, but I've never had to top one off.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:01 PM   #6

Buy them wherever you want, but make sure the person who installs them knows what he is doing. Checks the cables, make sure they are wired up properly- MH's use different cables for different functions.
anneb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:34 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Where have you found Costco's that stock them. I need a set and haven't found any Costco stores that stock them looking in Mississippi, Alabama and NC
Mike D
Old 03-04-2014, 07:28 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Last time I had the oil changed, I was told of LOW battery. Took the car to Costco today and did our battery swap in the parking lot. Battery only one (1) year old so we took home a free warranty battery. No core charges or a second trip just to return battery. No questions asked. Thumbs up Costco. Battery for our dingy vechile.
rivernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:37 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
If it is not reading 12.6 or more,don't buy it.
It is either old or bad. IMHO
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:47 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I have a membership at both Costco and Sam's Club. Frankly, I prefer the batteries and the warranty at Sam's Club over Costco.

During the summer of 2012, I purchased 4 GC-2 Golf Cart batteries for the house bank and one 8D Chassis battery all from Sam's Club in Fairbanks Alaska.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:12 PM   #11

When Ii bought my GC-2's at Sams, there were batteries with different date stickers on them. I bought the most recent and both with the same date.

Also if you have a multistage charger in your converter, that should go into a charge mode and take care of any needed charge topping off.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:03 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
You shouldn't have to charge it.

Every battery I ever bought was charged well enough to get things going.

I always check the water level and have had to add water to a couple batteries that I bought.
Lovin2Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:17 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks everyone for your responses.

RGVTEXAN, I haven't been to my local Costco yet, so I don't know what they have. We have Sams too and the 12 volt Duracell Commercial Group 31 shown on Sam's website are exactly what I need. I may just go to Sams.

ANNEB, I plan on replacing the wires just as they are on the current batteries, so there shouldn't be a problem. I will take a picture before I remove any wires just to be sure.

RETIRED AND HAPPY - My motorhome is in storage right now with no power, but I will be hitting the road soon and plan on replacing them right before I leave. That should take care of any topping off that needs to be done. I just wanted to make sure that the batteries come charged before I do this. And thanks for the reminder to check the dates.
sadrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:25 AM   #14

I just replaced my 2 yr old costco batteries with Trojans. Costco batteries although inexpensive have the lowest amp hr rating I've seen, 208. Interstate, Delco, & Trojan are higher.
Mike H 2002 Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries