Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2015, 09:15 PM   #15

Thanks!

Thanks to all who responded....the info is much appreciated! Looking forward to shopping for our home away from home soon

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2015, 10:13 PM   #16

Our first Class A was a G'town 29' gasser and we made 2 longish trips of over a month and lots of shorter trips. We made those trips with our 2 boxers and there was plenty of room for all of us. We also towed a Jeep Wrangler. We did not have a washer & dryer. We decided for a number of reasons to look for a DP about this time last year and wound up with a 34 footer with 4 slides.

We are not fulltimers so don't haul all of stuff with us. We had plenty of room for what we needed in the gasser but enjoy the extra room in the DP. We do have a washer & dryer which is really nice and I'm glad to have them.

As others have said, the type of camping (or glamping) might determine what size rig you want. While there may be private camping options near national parks where larger rigs can find places, there are size restrictions in many nat. parks, BLM & forestry campgrounds. If you like to camp in the parks, then size might be a consideration. If you prefer the private campgrounds then, you probably won't have much trouble finding sites.

There are several online RV sale sites that let you search by price so you can get an idea of motorhomes that fit your budget.

traveling in a 2011 Ventana 3433!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:34 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
KZ RV Club
The Hunt Begins

As in previous post take a long and hard look at the floor plan. make sure it's going to accommodate your needs. if you feel qualified to do an inspection great if not it's money well spent. a friend of a friend paid $70k for a used A. when taking it in for some minor repairs the shop called and told him the coach had mold several places that he missed doing his own inspection. it had to be salvaged and start the search over again. if you buy private you are more likely to get full details and maybe any of it's quirks. it would most likely save you money up front. the dealer however depending on their integrity may offer a warranty of some type and may know little of it's history. if buying used buy your warranty on line for a great savings also. there are several see forum. Good Luck the more you look the more you can find. Good chance you will know it when you find it.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:50 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89sandman View Post
I would say the places you want to stay would dictate the length of motorhome you want.
We full-timed in our 40' MH for 10 years and stayed in public campgrounds or boondocking spots 90% of our time. We honestly had no problems. Granted, our travels were mainly in the West. Also, you do have to do research before just pulling into a campground.

We've stayed in Yellowstone (without reservations) at Mammoth, Madison and Bridge Bay campgrounds. We've stayed in Grand Teton Nat'l Park in Gros Ventre and Colter Bay campgrounds. We've also stayed in Zion, Bryce, Grand Canyon, Glacier, Rocky Mountain and other national parks and many national forest campgrounds and just boondocking in gorgeous spots on BLM or forest lands. It can be done!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 04:18 PM   #19

You may also want to 'go through the motions' to make sure bathroom is roomy enough to actually use for the purpose and that sitting and watching tv won't put a crick in your neck. Open every door/drawer and think about the ease of getting clothes into and out of storage area. No fun to buy a coach that 'looks' good but is a real pain doing day to day activities in.
Old 04-03-2015, 04:50 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
We went through a similar decision process in 2010. We started looking in the 34' range and settled on a little longer (41'). In three years of coast to coast trips, up to 3 months at a time, we've been happy with our choice.

We haven't felt that we've missed anything because we were too big to get in; we've been very happy with more room on the longer trips.

Lots of good advice share with you by others. When we were looking at RV shows, we found that many of the folks there already had their RV. Rather than spending a lot of time talking with the sales people (they do have a motive) we got lots of good info from the other shoppers.

The one thing I don't recall seeing mentioned is that we took almost a year before retirement getting prepared for our first extended trip. It gave us time to address a myriad of ancillary decisions that made everything more enjoyable. Also, by taking your time, you have a better chance of making better decisions.

We couldn't tow the vehicles we had - taking a year let us find a really good deal on a nice used vehicle.

Which tow system - we're glad for our final choice.

Which supplemental brake system - many choices.

Technology - internet, TV, printer/scanner, etc.

By taking some time with those decisions, we haven't felt like needed an expensive "do over" for any of those choices.

Washer/dryer - absolutely! Nice to be able to do a small load when you want.

Oven - not my domain; DW seems happy with the convection microwave.

Take care,
Stu
Old 04-04-2015, 05:43 PM   #21

Did you see the news or video about the Class A fire today in Florida, I think, where the only door out was blocked by a fire and they had to climb out the emergency exit? Luckily they got out alive. Emergency exits are NOT as easy as walking out a door, especially if your significant other is unconscious or weak from smoke, and/or your are carrying a pet..

Might want to think about a Super C with THREE exit doors, not one, plus an emergency exit.
Plus many have front air bags for the passenger and driver (mandated for many years for all new autos sold in the US for a reason....they save lives)

Best of luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timahoy View Post
We are looking for advice on purchasing our first class A for our nearing retirement, and would love some advice. We r
Old 04-05-2015, 08:44 AM   #22

This budget will restrict you to older models. The newer the product, the smaller the unit you can afford. However, having said that, your ideal coach may be out there. Since you have never had a motorhome, consider renting one for a week just to acclimatize yourselves to RV living.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timahoy View Post
...We want to spend somewhere between 25K & 50K...
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 09:26 AM   #23

My wife and I have traveled all over the USA with a 30ft fifth wheel. Been on the road for 10 months. Never once felt crowded. Never needed more space. Half the stuff or more is just stuff you probably won't use. Don't carry stuff just because you think you may need it. If you do, buy it on the road. Bet you can do with out it!!
All you really need is a comfortable bed and a nice shower/bathroom. Also plenty of hang-up space for your wife's clothes) As far as a washer/dryer, we didn't mind going into town or using the campground units. Never has been a problem. Once a week we washed. You will also find out you don't use your kitchen very much. I used to grill out a lot. Fun and way to meet people. Everyone loves the smell of food on the grill I did the meat the wife di the vegetables.
I really believe the smaller Class A the better.
It just isn't the bigger A costs more, the insurance is more, if you have a tag more tires to buy, more fuel, bigger storage space when not using the A. More expensive all the way around for the bigger A.
My 2 cents, I am now looking at a Class C about 25ft. Just right for the wife and I. But not for everyone.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:27 AM   #24

Good comments. I'm glad to see there are others who don't subscribe to the bigger is better position, but no offense to those who do. We have always had smaller motorhomes. The 29 ft class A Trek bought to replace our 26 ft Trek was a deal we couldn't refuse, but I would have continued with a 26 ft. if one had been available.

I'm sure that our 29 ft. is seen as excessive to someone in a 23 ft. while I think of a 45 ft. coach with lots of slides as a collapsible house that happens to be able to move. It's all relative, and just illustrates that one size doesn't fit all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mga60tw View Post
My wife and I have traveled all over the USA with a 30ft fifth wheel. Been on the road for 10 months. Never once felt crowded. Never needed more space. Half the stuff or more is just stuff you probably won't use. Don't carry stuff just because you think you may need it. If you do, buy it on the road. Bet you can do with out it!!
All you really need is a comfortable bed and a nice shower/bathroom. Also plenty of hang-up space for your wife's clothes) As far as a washer/dryer, we didn't mind going into town or using the campground units. Never has been a problem. Once a week we washed. You will also find out you don't use your kitchen very much. I used to grill out a lot. Fun and way to meet people. Everyone loves the smell of food on the grill I did the meat the wife di the vegetables.
I really believe the smaller Class A the better.
It just isn't the bigger A costs more, the insurance is more, if you have a tag more tires to buy, more fuel, bigger storage space when not using the A. More expensive all the way around for the bigger A.
My 2 cents, I am now looking at a Class C about 25ft. Just right for the wife and I. But not for everyone.
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 06:10 PM   #25

We retired out of Temecula a few years back. Looks like you are in Escondido. This is our third coach. Thought I knew it all. Like you, wanted something small enough I could get into National & State parks but big enough we would be comfortable full-timing. Ours is a big name 37'er with 3 slides, one of which is a full body. I saw absolutely no reason for a DP. First thing is, that on the west coast, sites large enough to accommodate even our old 32'er with 2 slides are few and far between. Often lousy. Take a drive down to Silver Strand State Beach near Coronado. You can put a 45'er in there, but it is an asphalt parking lot next to a busy street with partial hook-ups. But it is close to the beach. Then drive by Bernardo Shores RV in Imperial Beach or Chula Vista RV. Beautiful, private parks that will accommodate even the biggest coaches, and they cost about the same as SSSB. It is that way throughout California. All coaches are too big when you drive them, too small when you park them. Get whatever your wife wants so she can have a great time, so that you can have a great time. Our stackable washer & dryer is an essential. Our next coach will have a dishwasher. And will be a DP. From Escondido everywhere you go has the potential to be very windy. And there's the only problem with our coach. The DP owners I talk to are much happier than I am with how their coaches handle in conditions that do arise.
But I'm guessing the amount you've budgeted is going to be an issue. Maybe you should consider a used truck and a 5'er. The towables are much more cost effective. (Please be advised that even with a relatively small Class A, you will want to be towing a small car. You park the RV and check out the sights from the toad.)
Take a Saturday afternoon cruise up to Pechanga RV park. You'll see a lot of very nice towable set-ups that are more in your price range. Talk to the owners. RV'ers love to talk!
Old 04-05-2015, 06:53 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Our 32' Dynasty has all the room we need , just the DW and I no slides . Good fuel millage ... Rides like a town car and pulls The HHR toad like it's not there.

Safe-T-Plus
Pa Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a