Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-21-2012, 11:33 AM   #15
I am no saint but the foul language on a cb along with the rude comments and replys and often wrong information isnt something I wanted. With all of the technology available today there is far more reliable information out there for RVer's. Cell phones, gps, on star, wifi and computers work just fine.

Don and Nancy
2011 Allegro RED
2012 Equinox
2007 Yorkie

djbmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2012, 11:46 AM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm probably in the great minority,but I've had one in muy vehicles since I bought my first Toyota Landcrusher wagon in 1970. In those days it was a lot of fun when you were on the road and in the woods.Lately it doesn't get used too much unless I'm on a solo trip. I have used the Cobra in the MH a number of times when trying to find out what traffic hold-ups are.
Sopposdly RVers are on channel 13,but you can never raise one. You see them going by with their ugly sticks and try to talk to them,but to no avail.By being on a dedicated channel,you don't have to listen to all the trash talk.
On the other hand,there used to be a lady down by Roseburg area on I-5 that used to tell the funniest stories about her grandmother and friends kind of like the prarie home companion.

'01 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
2011 Jeep Liberty
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:50 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
I am no saint but the foul language on a cb along with the rude comments and replys and often wrong information isnt something I wanted. With all of the technology available today there is far more reliable information out there for RVer's. Cell phones, gps, on star, wifi and computers work just fine.
You are correct in some cases but I've been in locations in North America where the only contact one has with the outside world, albeit smallish local area, was our CB and it got us out from having to do a long walk once and a second time it found us a tow company who came to our rescue high in the mountains of BC.

I only travel with it on when we are in a group and we run with the squelch up high so we only hear one another. We also have a mobile unit for the boat when we go out crabbing or prawning to announce time of arrival and the necessity of the crab pot being on the bonfire and the size of bonfire required.
Denise and Dennis Dalla-Vicenza Co-pilot Mizzie
Gracie a Winnebago 29 RQ +
George a Suzuki Toad
(Co-pilots emeritus Furb, Izzy & Mikkael)
Cherry Creek British Columbia
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:25 PM   #18
Fleetwood Owners Club
Have one hooked up just in case.
" A day without camping is....WORK"
2003 Bounder 35R
3 Jack Russell's
zip0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:58 PM   #19
We continue to use ours when traveling with other people or maybe listen in to truckers during traffic. I prefer to use an FRS radio if traveling with friends; they are clearer sounding and reach out a reasonable distance. I assume the newer ones are even better. The biggest problem with CBs is that people do not tune their antennas, so they have limited range. The other issue we have with motorhomes is a good ground plane on the roof to help the range. Some people will bond a metal screen to the roof and ground that to the chassis to help the antenna work better.
2001 34' Alpine Coach
2008 Jeep Rubicon or 2012 Ford F150 4x4 Lariat towds
or a couple of different trailers
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:24 PM   #20
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have one and have it on quite a bit. It seems to me that there is not as much trucker traffic as there once was. Probably on their cell phones.
Travel well, travel safe,
2006 Tiffin Phaeton - 2011 Cadillac SRX
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:08 PM   #21
I have mine on regularly. Use it when traveling in groups and to monitor traffic problems.
wildirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:12 AM   #22
I use mine when in traffic and with others in a caravan i am a ham radio operator but haven't been on in years since the no code the truckers have all moved to 2m and uhf
85antique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:44 AM   #23
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
For what it's worth. Sometimes a CB will help keep a trucker awake on a long haul. I had much rather see him awake and driving right, rather asleep at the wheel coming into my lane. If the language gets too rough, switch channels or split a channel. I have a CB, but seldom use it because of my GPS. I will turn it on to get a traffic report or a smokie (officer with a radar) report.
Bill, enrolled member of Choctaw Tribe. 2005 Fleetwood/Revolution,AFE Filter,Aero Exhaust,Koni FSD shocks,KarKaddy SS. Progressive HW-50C.
okie-dokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:02 AM   #24
I have one in my Trek. It was in it when I bought it, and I turn it on occasionally. I just got assigned a new truck at work (2012 Volvo 630), and I have my old, cheap Cobra in it. We occasionally need it to be contacted by a backhaul shipper.

That radio is the old equivalent of the current Cobra 19 CX IV radio, available for about $40 on any given day. An alternate woud be the Cobra 18 WX ST II, which has the weather channels on it. About $60 on sale.

Now, as to the prejudice many truckers have toward RV.... We see them all the time who have never driven anything larger than the Buick they're towing behind their 35 foot motor home, and are as likely as not to forget about that Buick when pulling back into the right lane. I've come into a truck stop, dead tired and out of hours, and seen motorhomes with both side slides out, taking up 3 parking spots. I watched a young lady pull into a rest stop truck parking space (where she was supposed to be), and get up and go to the back of the motorhome to go to the bathroom, without setting the brakes. She rolled out of the parking lot and down an embankment. She came out cussing truck drivers, swearing she'd been hit by one.

Like everyone else, we really only notice the bad ones. If they were all that bad, none of them (including me) would ever get where we're going.

As for staying awake, I listen to books on my ipod.
Trucking to support the cats.
mrblanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:05 AM   #25
I got one for Christmas and put it in for the times when you want to know why traffic is stopped for miles and you want to find a way around it. It can be entertaining also.
padre44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:23 AM   #26
No use for one with GPS, cell phone..Too much trash talk and bad language. Had our grand daughter with us one time and the language on the cb was embarrasing..With todays technology they are a relic of the past..Trashed it

Don and Maxine McQueen
1996 Damon Intruder
F53 Chassis 33 ft
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote