Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2012, 02:03 PM   #1

c b radios?

does anyone use a cb anymore? are they worth the time and effort to hook up. i used one years ago when we went to denver. and it helped with traffic. and it was amusing at times. a friend had one in his truck a year ago and the talk was just cursing and garbage. thanks matt
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2012, 02:06 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi Katmat

I have a cb in my RV also, and have had some conversations with truckers here and there. If you monitor certain frequencies you can pickup traffic and accident information which could save time.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:10 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

When we bought our new rig I installed one and carried it around for a couple of years before just taking it out and putting it on a shelf in the garage. I found we didn't really have a use for it. Today's gadgets can provide traffic and rerouting information and we found that we used them instead.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:12 PM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to rascalbob Send a message via Skype™ to rascalbob
Angry Cb noise

I have a cb in my discovery, so much noise, can't use it
rascalbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:17 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Mine is sitting in the garage. Old 23 channel SBE with power mike. Used during the ancient days of licenses.
DutchStar38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:35 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Used to ride to work with a friend that always had his CB on. Swore I'd never put one in any vehicle I owned. Sounded like everyone just wanted to hear themselves talk to fight the boredom...sometimes they could be kinda of humorous, but mostly it was just trash talk. I'm on the 'Not worth it' side. Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:51 PM   #7

Yep, different strokes for different folks. I have one, seldom used anymore.

Reg
Old 02-20-2012, 03:29 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Hi katmat,
I have a CB in the coach. I use it when traveling with a caravan. I have it on all the time. I have an ear piece that is used to listen. This way the wife need not hear the garbage. The ear piece fits in my left ear. This leaves my right ear available for any words coming from the wife. In general, OTR drivers have a bigoted view of motor coach owners. When I hear that trash talk I do get on the transmit button and let them know the truth. In 34 years of driving a class A coach around the USA, I've never heard an OTR driver change their mind about motor coach owners. I have had a few thank me to the information I provided. Most decide to just shut up and move on to another topic they can bash.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:39 PM   #9

I keep ours on while traveling so I can keep up with traffic reports. I have used it to help block those who run up and squeeze in for lane restrictions, allowing the trucker to get back in ahead of me. I keep the squelch turned so I do not hear any of the trash talk. It is not vital but it is helpful.
Meandering Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:55 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
I keep a CB in the RV and toad. That way I can talk with the toad when we are running independent. And I keep it on in the RV so that a trucker can tell me if they see a problem with my rig and vice versa.

ronspradley
ronspradley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:01 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Owl View Post
Yep, different strokes for different folks. I have one, seldom used anymore.

Reg
Same here, but when there is a traffic problem it's nice to have.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:57 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Some still use them and some don't.

We have had one in every vehicle we have owned. Comes in very handy at times and I don't mind the language at all. Yep I am female and yep it gets what some might call "nasty" but words are just words. I filter thru the "nasty" stuff to the stuff that helps like knowing about a sniper shooting off of bridge which has happened to us.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:21 AM   #13

My gps provides traffic information when I am on the road. If you really want to find a more friendlier and cleaner way of communicating, may I suggest that you think about becoming a ham radio operator. With morse code no longer required, it is a lot easier to acquire a Technicians Class Ham Radio License today than it was years ago. A 2 meter radio is not that expensive and covers a longer distance using repeaters than a cb. No dealing with truckers and you can even call home on some auto-patch repeaters. Ham radio is a great hobby which can enhance your rv pleasure. You can sometimes find a ham monitoring 2 meters from home to talk to when boredom on the road kicks in. Come and join the fun. There are many of us out there on the road.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:44 AM   #14

Mine came with a Cobra WBX-27 or something like that. The one with all the controls in the handset that is not comfortable in either hand. I tried it a couple of times and found it boring. I didn't have the pliers I needed to remove the mic and cord, so just tucked it up under the dash. It has the weather band, but I usually know what the weather is going to be like where I'm going ahead of time.

Seems like I read on one forum that RVers use channel 13.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote