Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2011, 10:21 AM   #1

C.O.E. campground not handicap friendly

My wife requires a electric scooter to get around after two hip replacements and back and neck surgury. My wife is 74 years young.
We were camped a C.O.E. campground thats near Hartwell Georgia; called Watsadler.
My wife was riding her scooter around the park and the park host told us that riding an electric covience was not permited in the park; and wasn't allowed.
I sent a letter to the C.O.E. headquarters and they sent me a information that said just that.
I have sent a complant to Washington with a formal complaint against the C.O.E. I believe theres laws against discrimination agaist the disabled; Isn't there?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2011, 10:28 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
I'm not an attorney, but I believe you're referring to the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act). Among other matters, it addresses access issues for disabled individuals. You might want to refer to the ADA in your dealings with the COE, although it, like many government bodies, may have exempted itself from coverage under this law. Not sure about that, but it sounds like it from their responses to you so far.

Rusty
Old 01-21-2011, 10:57 AM   #3

Find a shark...

Here in CA there are bottom feeders...attornies that file suits against buisnesses on behalf of handicapped clients who may have never been to the buisness for violations of the ADA, these have caused many long standing buisnesses to close up shop, the suits were for simple things such as the paper towels being 1/2 inch too high, and these are places that were fully permitted and inspected.

There should be some hungry law folks who may want to take this on.

Unless there could be clear safety concerns where the client could be hurt and there was no way a "reasonable" accomidation would correct it then the camp may be forced to close or forced to change.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:35 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
... There should be some hungry law folks who may want to take this on.

Unless there could be clear safety concerns where the client could be hurt and there was no way a "reasonable" accommodation would correct it then the camp may be forced to close or forced to change.

Sue someone? Did it occur to you that the reason electric scooters are not allowed in that campground may be because someone sued them or threatened to sue them??? Perhaps someone, in their little electric scooter, wrecked it and sued?
Old 01-21-2011, 11:56 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by melvonnar View Post
My wife was riding her scooter around the park and the park host told us that riding an electric covience was not permited in the park; and wasn't allowed.
I wonder if the rule prohibiting "electric conveyances" would also preclude use of an electric wheelchair? You might want to ask them.

I guess I'm coming at this differently. I don't see this situation as lawsuit fodder on the part of the OP; rather, it does seem that the COE policy being cited unreasonably (IMHO) restricts access by the disabled to our publicly-owned campgrounds. If that's the case, then I believe the OP has a legitimate complaint.

Again, JMHO - YMMV.....

Rusty
Old 01-21-2011, 12:52 PM   #6
doc

Appalachian Campers
We had a similar situation in a state park here in Georgia. (Stephen Foster SP) The ranger said we could not have the mobility scooter on the roads in the park after she had ridden in (on the side of the road) up to the office area. There were kids on bikes all over the place. Ms Carol has Multiple Sclerosis and has to have it to get around. She cannot walk without a walker and then only very short distances. We sort of blew this off as a young ranger who is bored with an assignment that is as exciting as watching an alligator sun.
We were at Hart State Park a while later and talking with the camp hosts about what had taken place. They said this was apparently a policy in the State Park system of Georgia and the ranger there had told a disabled person the same thing. Now it would have been OK to push someone in a wheel chair.
This began to bother me and so I ended up writing a letter to the lady in charge of the Georgia State Parks. (CRS has kicked in and I cannot recall her name) I was very polite but pointed out this was blatant discrimination against disabled persons and if they were tent camping, there would be no way to get to the showers or rest rooms w/o being in violation of their rules. I hinted at the Americans with Disabilities Act being violated. I very shortly received a nice reply with an apology and the promise their rangers were being retrained and this would not be a problem in the future. Whether or not this has taken place I don't know - we have not camped in either parks since then. We have however stayed at Moccasin Creek SP (near Helen, Ga) and never had such foolishness from the rangers or any of the camp hosts.
I have heard similar stories from others who camped at Watsadlers. This is about 25 miles from our home. I suggest you send a letter or e-mail to one of the Georgia representatives or senators, then follow it up with a letter to your own representative or senator.
Our disabled citizens have enough to contend with in dealing with their disease or injury w/o dealing with this sort of foolishness. There is little enough joy in their lives and if camping give them pleasure then they need to be encouraged.
Thanks for letting me blow off some steam. doc
Old 01-21-2011, 06:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
I wonder if the rule prohibiting "electric conveyances" would also preclude use of an electric wheelchair? You might want to ask them.

I guess I'm coming at this differently. I don't see this situation as lawsuit fodder on the part of the OP; rather, it does seem that the COE policy being cited unreasonably (IMHO) restricts access by the disabled to our publicly-owned campgrounds. If that's the case, then I believe the OP has a legitimate complaint.

Again, JMHO - YMMV.....

Rusty
Yep: electric wheelchairs are not permited I was told.. If your handicaped;or have someone with you that is; I would suggest avoiding this campground.
Of course this is only my own personal opinion; others may have a complete different take on this campground.

I posted this post for information only; try to take any part of the government to court would be impossible. I'm not interested in that.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:39 PM   #8

My wife just noticed this advertisement thats on the heading to this site: now isn't this ironic?

New/Used Wheelchair Vans Creating independence since 1985! Best prices & selection guaranted www.MobilityExpress.com
<LI id=taw1 onfocus="ss('','aw1')" onmouseover="ss('','aw1')">Electric Scooters 9/10 People Had Medicare Pay for an Electric Scooter! Free Info Kit www.Hoveround.com/Scooters

<LI id=taw2 onfocus="ss('','aw2')" onmouseover="ss('','aw2')">Wheelchair Vans in the SE Side & Rear Entry Vans 4 Sale BEST selection of new & used vans www.hdsvans.com

<LI id=taw3 onfocus="ss('','aw3')" onmouseover="ss('','aw3')">The SCOOTER Store Interested in a Mobility Scooter For Yourself or a Loved One? theSCOOTERstore.com
Old 01-21-2011, 10:07 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It would sure make a great photo to see a C.O.E. employee giving a disabled person in a scooter chair, the heave ho. The newspapers would put that on the front page. Then there would be some hell to pay !!!
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:41 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
melvonnar,

The reason you saw those ads in the Ads by Google box is because that's the subject being discussed. The ads in that section are generated by whatever topic the member is searching on, posting about or reading. Depending on the subject matter, those will change.

Lori-
Old 01-22-2011, 07:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
melvonnar,

The reason you saw those ads in the Ads by Google box is because that's the subject being discussed. The ads in that section are generated by whatever topic the member is searching on, posting about or reading. Depending on the subject matter, those will change.

Lori-
It's still kinda funny; my wife and I both got a chuckle when she pointed it out.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:28 PM   #12

Before this subject gets too far off base -- the original poster said his wife was riding an electric scooter --- which to me means a 2 wheeled electric scooter not an electric motorized wheel chair. Just keep that in mind when posting replys to the post. I have been in COE parks in the past and have seen electric wheel chairs in use -- they are not prohibited.

I would also like to add that the park in question is the only COE park listed around the Atlanta area that prohibits the use of "motorized scooters." This is clearly listed when one looks at the park information --- it is the first topic and that topic is highlighted. One would see it before making any reservations for the campground. It also prohibits the use of golf carts. I do not know the reasons for the prohibition at this park but, it is not at ALL COE parks which the heading on this topic would suggest.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:27 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
A mobility scooter can be 3 or 4 wheels. THIS is what I am imaging she was riding.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
Old 01-22-2011, 09:59 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I had a deceased friend who had to use the scooter to get around. She also had an electric wheelchair but for whatever reasons she liked the scooter better. The only problem was the wheelchair went slow and she had better control of it and the scooter could become a weapon when considering her weight and the weight of the machine and the speed she could attain driving it.

Not wanting to get anyone's knickers in a know but we have all seen some of the Evil Kenevil types that abuse the privilege of using these machines. People have been seriously injured by some of these users.
Closed Thread

Tags
handicap, scooter