Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2013, 03:04 PM   #1

C or A

Hi,
What are the differences between a Luxury A like the Marathon coaches and the Super C coaches like Dynamax. Is it just a matter of cockpit style?
I did a search and could not find opinions so here I am

Thanks
silat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2013, 03:06 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Welcome to irv2.
There are quite a few and probably $1,000,000 or more.
I'm sure others will be along with more details.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 03:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
Welcome to irv2.
There are quite a few and probably $1,000,000 or more.
I'm sure others will be along with more details.
I knew I should have mentioned the price
But you can get a Super C up in the million dollar range.
Granted the Luxury A's can go for over $2 million if you opt for gold plated faucets
Old 12-27-2013, 03:49 PM   #4

I am by no means an expert so take this for what it's worth, an opinion.
Super C coaches seem to be built more for towing. They often have a ridiculously large towing capacity. Although the interiors can be very nice there storage capacity is often limited compared to a class A. I think it would be tough to full time in one.
Then there is the obvious difference between a C and an A as to cockpit and engine placement.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 03:54 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
I'd counter, there are some super Cs that are 45 ft long, highly "customable" (the two I saw, were super luxurious, one for show horses, the other for show Corvettes)...both were in the $1.2M area and very nice for full time.

They say these big Super Cs are safer, big engine up front. Maybe more noise...don't know.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 07:10 AM   #6

Just wondring, if you want to get into the snooty Class 'A' only resorts, do the big luxury Class 'C's qualify.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:55 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Myself and my MH don't qualify to those snooty places. I still have a blast where ever we go.
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 02:08 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosticks View Post
Just wondring, if you want to get into the snooty Class 'A' only resorts, do the big luxury Class 'C's qualify.
As I understand it, they do not. Class A ONLY means exactly that.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:09 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
Myself and my MH don't qualify to those snooty places. I still have a blast where ever we go.
Can I get an "amen."
Old 12-28-2013, 02:13 PM   #10
laj

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosticks View Post
been in lots of class A only resorts, but never a snooty one. could you point me to one so I could see what their like. just curious
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 05:30 PM   #11

A Super C is built on a truck chassis. Medium duty or greater, so they have typical truck suspension, brakes, spring rates, etc. As stated, they are usually paired with a large trailer, or at least can be. Towing capacity up to 40K range. Cost is whatever your wallet can afford. Lot easier to work on engine with the flip front. Most have a lot of storage boxes underneath, as the RV floor is on the frame, and storage boxes hang down below floor level. Engine will be a diesel, and power is what you want to pay for. Many Super C areconfigured with garage space in the back, from a 10 ft golf cart/motorcycle type space all the way up to full size car 18-20 ft length. Most have slideouts, multiple on newer and higher cost.

A comparable A is a large diesel pusher, with a full bus type chassis. Can also tow some pretty serious weight, but not as much as the Super C's can. Class A is probably better ride. Also has storage boxes, so I would not say one is especially better in this aspect. Same story, can be as much as your wallet can afford. These are set up as pure RV, no garage space. Almost all will have at least one of not more slideouts.

Overall, I think the Super C are more common for race teams or similar where towing a bigger trailer. Class A diesel pusher is more common for individuals, and towing smaller trailer. I personally like the Super C style and have a smaller Super C - Gulfstream Supernova.

Not sure if one is necessarily safer than the other. Yes the C has engine and more distance between driver and front bumper. Is that perceived or actually better?

I will say that a Super C stands out against a lot more common Class A. So if you want to have more attention and questions, a Super C will generate more of each.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:57 AM   #12

Thanks all for your responses.