Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2006, 07:09 AM   #1

What is the story on new RV out of state pick up.

Baxter the Cat
rvskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2006, 07:09 AM   #2

What is the story on new RV out of state pick up.

Baxter the Cat
rvskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 08:04 AM   #3

To; RVSKIPPER;

In most cases, if you buy in a state without a sales tax, you will have to pay it if you register vehicle in a state that has a sales tax, like Massachusetts,. There may be exceptions, but highly unlikely. Some rvers buy and register in no tax states, but it can be sticky if you actually garage vehicle in another state.

Let me know if you have any success!!

Thanks======= AJBJRVERS
Old 01-01-2006, 02:16 PM   #4

Happy New Year.

Do a search on this subject and you will find endless pages of info.

The short version for California is if the vehicle is purchased out of state, then brought into California, you pay the sales tax rate of the county the vehicle is registered in.
Or if you don't want to pay sales tax, then the vehicle must be kept out of state for 1 year before bringing back into the state.
The key with this option is that the vehicle has to have a paper record of being used for that one year and not just stored somewhere.
Hope this helps and good luck.
Fyrflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 08:08 PM   #5

I bought my HR in CA in August 2004 and the dealer did not collect sales tax when I registered it in CA. AS long as I kept it out of CA for 90 days and kept receipts that I was out of state all that time the dealer told me I would not have to pay. The dealer also had the coach delivered to me in Primm, NV just over the CA border so I didn't drive it out of the state. Fortunately I was leaving on a 4 month trip to the East in a week or two after I bought it. I kept all my receipts for 4 months, still have them too, but the CA DMV has never requested them as the dealer said they might. I owned a home in Las Vegas then so even though I registered in CA they apparently assummed I was out of state anyway. It is still registered in CA and I recently renewed the plates with no problem.

But the kicker now is that you have to stay out of CA for one year to qualify for no sales tax, which is what the dealer told me. Dealer was Canyon RV Center in Irvine/Colton.

'05 GMC Canyon Crew Cab 4WD, Aluminator, Brake Buddy
Jim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 09:20 PM   #6

CA has a flat fee for permanant registration of boat and horse trailers...does this apply to TTs and fifth wheels?

Horsevoice...still looking for the right fifthwheel...

Re-tredded Newbies lookin' forward to seeing the USA at a more leisurely pace!
Horsevoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 05:52 AM   #7

I have been told by a CA DMV phone rep
that when we purchase our MH in Florida,
we will pay Florida's sales tax, and
then pay the difference, about 2 percent,
in California when we get back to register.

Art
www.artsdigitalphoto.com

out of this world photography

Mobile Photo Lab
artro is offline   Reply With Quote