Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2014, 09:06 PM   #1

Cabinet painting help!

I thought I posted this last night but I guess I didn't hit "post'..anyway... DH and I have inherited a 1996 Itasca class c, awesome right?? Have I told you I love the 90's mauve and blue décor..NOT! So after going to the tampa rv show 2 weeks ago, we were all excited about the fifth wheels...until we saw the price and needed a truck!! nope! aint gonna happen until he retires in 15 yrs...So I came home and searched all over internet about remodeling the camper.. I am starting small (bathroom), pulled up the nice CARPET, yuk! and I have primed with KILZ the lovely wallpaper board..or whatever it is..looking great! But my cabinets are the problem, its the pressboard, fake oak with gold trim crap... I lightly sanded the back of one and painted it with a primer called "cabinet paint"...looked good, didn't scratch off..did another coat but went further to the edges and now some of its flaking off on the edges...ugh! so do I sand over it and repaint or what???? any help is greatly appreciated!!! will be posting pics when I download them...
Alasurgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2014, 09:19 PM   #2

Before you put any more on the cabs, get a degreaser prior to priming. Also, oil based Kilz would cover well. Light sand with 180, then try finish coat. Good idea to start on the inside. Hope this helps.
fletch460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:14 AM   #3

As well to the good advice above I would add that several thin coats with dry time between will result in a much smoother/durable finish. Once the primer is up do not be in a rush for coverage if the paint doesn't completely cover on the first coat don't worry. You'll find that the more coats you put on the "deeper" the sheen/finish result will look. You can even consider a glossier finish for ease of cleaning if you're going with thin coats and you have a good steady hand. You'll be the judge of your results. Don't rush and most people can end up with decent results.

Imho golden oak (younger middle age or older young adult here) looks decent. My dining room set is golden oak (was fun finding it). If you're going white are you going basic white, glossy white or creamy white for the final look? Maybe bisque You know people with big money pay big bucks for people to beat their cabinets and furniture with a chain and sand the edges for the "antique look".
Old 01-30-2014, 04:33 AM   #4

thanks for the advice to both of you!! yes I am taking it very slow.. I bought industrial strength Goof Off in a little tin can, and that took the sheen right off and saved my elbows from sanding all those little areas.. the primer took well and I am doing thin coats...I am going to stick with white cabinets in the bathroom and may do a slate grey in the rest of RV. Super small toilet has been removed and it was built on a box. So we thought , lets get a nice toilet this time and ditch the ugly box. But after inspection, it looks like we have to keep box because all the plumbing comes through higher than the floor (reason for the box)..it just looks so weird as if the toilet is on a pedestal....lol..
Old 01-30-2014, 07:25 AM   #5

Every manufacturer has its quirks. There is an advantage to the box though, in a few decades when you're ready to consider yourself well and truly an experienced AARP member it'll be easier to get up from the throne I think they call that pressboard MDF or medium density fiberboard. Hopefully the end results will be to your satisfaction. Alykd/oil paint is more durable just remember to air out the motorhome and work with the door open. The other thing which you're probably doing is keeping the work area clean and dust free so the painted surface will remain clean. Also if you need to do edging use a metal edge and wipe clean each time for a crisp line. Did you take the doors off the hinges to paint? Remember don't close the cabinet doors until the paint has fully cured. Well unless you want to hurt your paint job
Old 01-30-2014, 07:44 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
At Home Depot they sell cabinet refinishing kits, which do am excellent job. I suggest if you have more to do in other rooms, try that.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:54 PM   #7

aww! thanks for the posts... what?? I have to vent the little bathroom while im using a stripper?? LOL...just kidding...luckily its been cold down here if FL so I have been venting and windows open... I will post pics when im done. so far it seems to be going ok...im just hoping when the heat of summer gets here it doesn't start to peel off...I hope im doing everything right, because I DEFINITELY don't want to redo the cabinets...I have so many more to do....
Old 02-13-2014, 01:55 PM   #8

ok!! here is my before and almost done after!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20140213_152258.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	56060

Click image for larger version

Name:	1392323393886.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	56061
so excited how the bathroom turned out!! It took me about 3 weeks, but sooo worth it. I am installing vinyl that looks like wood for the floor, and its gorgeous. We bought a new toilet, and new faucet, everthing else I sanded, primed and painted. For the formica countertop I used countertop paint and it was AwESOME, fumes were very very bad, so if you use it ventilate!!!
Old 02-13-2014, 05:31 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I'm with ya looks really really nice. We plan on doing ours too but we have a while too wait before we can jet going.
Did you find the paint for the counter top at a big box store? Did it set up pretty hard?
I'm leaving the storage compartment cabinets as is, they look great as is.
Can't wait for the pictures as you procede.
Thanks for sharing.
tb
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:16 PM   #10

WOW!!! Very nice!
Fl_Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:00 PM   #11

Spritz, yes I got the countertop paint at HDepot. I got they grey color and am totally happy the way it turned out!! Ventilate if you use it, its super strong!!! We splurged for a new faucet and it really made a difference...
I caulked today and am working on the vinyl flooring, then doing the bathroom door next..final picture to come soon hopefully...then heading to the bedroom next.....
Old 02-20-2014, 02:17 PM   #12

That looks great. Keep us posted with more photos.
Flacamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:50 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alasurgtech View Post
Spritz, yes I got the countertop paint at HDepot. I got they grey color and am totally happy the way it turned out!! Ventilate if you use it, its super strong!!! We splurged for a new faucet and it really made a difference...
I caulked today and am working on the vinyl flooring, then doing the bathroom door next..final picture to come soon hopefully...then heading to the bedroom next.....
I scored a Rustoleum counter top kit at Home Depot for $38 on clearance the other day. It is Charcoal color. Anxious to update my Winnebago countertops. Did you remove the sink?
Old 02-20-2014, 06:02 PM   #14

Yes I did remove the sink, I sanded it and painted it with the spray plastic paint...(since the sink was plastic). Will keep y'all posted with pics as I do work.