Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2016, 12:12 AM   #1

Cable input and Satellite Help Please

Hey folks, I'm reading all the strings regarding passing a Satellite dish signal into the cable input of the RV to the front TV. I am having a problem and searhing for answers. I hope someone reads this and can offer some suggestions.

I have a 2014 Fleetwood Storm. The coach is set up with a front tv, middle tv (bunks) and back bedroom tv. All tvs are fed by a passive push button router/spliter located in the front. The router inputs are : DVD, Aux 1, Aux 2, Antenna, and Cable for front tv, back tvs and outside tv. I purchased a Dish Tailgater package by King which comes with a 211 receiver. I unboxed it, set it up and cannot get the receiver to talk to the dish when put into the cable connection on the outside of the RV. Of coarsse the Satellite system works fine if you run the cable straight into the receiver through the front window. I don't want to do that. Do I need to splite the cable that feeds the router cable input and run a coax along side the cable coax and into my Satellite receiver? My roof air antenna has an on and off side switch on it for signal strength in blue led lights. Does that have to be off to pass the Sat signal through the cable router? Help!!!

DaveBunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2016, 01:11 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Yes the over air antenna has to be off. I assume you have called Dish and had the 211 receiver authorized. You may find that a $20 cable toner from Lowes will help you solve any cable continuity issues ( bad able ) inside the coach . The connection out side does not know whether you are feeding it a satellite or cable company feed.

Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 02:24 AM   #3

The receiver has to be able to send power and commands to the Tailgater. I had to split the coax before the antenna amp with a power passing splitter:
rivraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 06:48 AM   #4

many satellite systems.. must be able to pass POWER and signal at the same time over the same wire..

Over the Air Television and cable TV do not Need to do this...
the wire does not care.. ( coax )
BUT the splitters do. many splitters DO NOT pass Power.

Replace splitters or Run different cabling. I did the different.

so I can have OTA, Cable and satellite... IF / When Needed.
Chuck_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 07:05 AM   #5

Arrow

my Tailgater2 is run DIRECTLY to each receiver, which is the only method to guarantee power to the unit since it is integrated from the receiver thru the coax cable.

maybe manufacturers will eventually provide a 'powered' coax generic cable/satellite input in the outside compartment, but until then it's probably best to run directly versus trying to find all of the 'non powered' splitters within your coach - they are under bunks, behind cabinets, and very hard to find or get to.

I ran/snaked coax runs permanently from each receiver down into our wetbay, where I can then connect the coax runs from the Tailgater. I have run more than 250' and still have power to the unit for it's automatic acquisition of the satellites. Nice. I can store the unit in the basement, with the additional coax cables, or I can also leave it on the rear of the roof where I installed two threaded 'studs' to attach the Tailgater onto, and wind the additional coax around the a/c unit while traveling.

200w/10a mobile SOLAR, 70,000+ miles
49 US States(including ALASKA) & 10 Canadian Provinces
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 11:11 PM   #6

Dish Tailgater into RV cable input.

Much thanks to all of you that responded, it helped me figure out a solution. I ended up pulling the passive button box out to get in behind it to unhook the cable coming in from the outside hook up. I was going to extend it and snake it through the wires out to be an extra coax for Sate receiver hook up. That would have eliminated my cable input on the button box (not that I would use it since I have Satellite) so I put a power spliter in place and ran a piece of coax through the wires out to my receiver and the other out of the spliter to the cable in on the button box. Now I have both. Everything works and I'm keeping the King Tailgater for Dish.

Thanks to everyone on the Forum for giving me a helping hand.

Oh and BTW, I proved that Cable TV spliters will not work with satellite.

Dave Bunker
DaveBunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 05:38 AM   #7

Good that you got things working as you like.

I used to install TV antennas and towers part time.
large antenna's (over 20 feet long ) and boosters/amplifiers.. rotors. even a few 150 foot towers...

so the splitter issue I learned many years ago...
back when satellite did NOT offer local channels. ( Men and there toys )

Chuck_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite