Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-12-2013, 05:51 AM   #1
CAD program for drafting RV floorplan

With only a year or so away from retirement and beginning some extended RV traveling the DW and I would like to consider designing our own floor plan for our MH or, most likely, our class 8 conversion.
Does anyone know of a computer CAD program available to assist in a design project such as this?
Has anyone ever ventured down this path?

'Tutus sequor ut totus' (Safe trails to all)

Dogtales is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2013, 06:04 AM   #2
For easy drawing there is a program called ViaCad that might work for you. The original autocad would work too. There are alot of programs that are specifically geared towards drawing houses, boats, cars, etc. There should be one for RV's out there.

Alie & Jim 2009 CarriLite Max1
Volvo Dually Pickup
My keyboard is faster than yours
rollondown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:28 AM   #3
I use AutoCad, Mechanical Desktop and Solidworks but all are very expensive to buy. Here is a link to a Google search for free CAD programs. Maybe one would work. free cad programs - Google Search
2015 RAM CC LB DRW CTD 68RFE 3.73
SOLD-'01 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD HO
'04 Jayco 28.5 RKS
SteveB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:44 AM   #4
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use the least expensive version of TurboCad (2D only) TurboCad Designer v20 at $39.99.
See it HERE .

I used it to model my motor home floor when I installed laminate flooring so as to have the least amount of ripping the laminate edges.

If you are already familiar with AutoCad they have versions that use the same interface.
Clay WA5NMR - Ex Snowbird - 1 year, Ex Full timer for 11 years - 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis. Honda Accord toad.
Clay L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:31 AM   #5
I've been doing CAD work since 1988 and used several programs such as Autocad, Bricscad, Turbocad...a couple months ago I helped a friend install and get familiar with a free CAD program called Draftsight...I was most impressed....it offers everything the big CAD programs have and it's free....honestly free!!....it's stable, works great...he couldn't be happier......and did I mention F R E E !!!!.......if you know how to use CAD programs download and try it....I think you'll like it...if you don't know how to use them, it will take you a while to learn how to use any of them to get drawings done....might be better off breaking out the graph paper...

Also if you're asking for a "can" drafting software that is tailored to designing floor plans for RV's with inserts for furniture, accessories, etc (like they make for designing homes) I don't think such a thing exists.....
2004 National RV - Sea Breeze - 1341
"Hopelessly lost...but making good time."
-LB- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:08 PM   #6
Wow....Thank you all kindly for the wonderful program recommendations. I now have some serious research to do. Just what I was looking for.
My DW says free beef'n beer at our site this evening for all who responded.

'Tutus sequor ut totus'
Old 07-12-2013, 03:45 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I don't think that finding the CAD program would be your big problem, but finding a manufacturer that would build a MH using a customer floor plan might be a little harder! Of course, that's assuming you're looking at "normal" coaches, not the $1,000,000 + babies!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:50 PM   #8
If you do not need to import or export CAD files look into a modeling program like Sketchup.
SketchUp | 3D for Everyone
You can walk through your drawing. The layers can interact so that may be a draw back if you are use to a true CAD program.
2015 F350 Lariat Diesel Dually, White, Hitch Kit.
2013 Dutchman Voltage 3200 Epic II 5th wheel.
BCooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:38 AM   #9
Very recently my DW and I had an opportunity to spend a night and a day in a friend's truck conversion Showhauler. What a piece of machinery for an RV.....Much different than my old 'Bago from my earlier years, of course. Taking this conversion on a short drive really got me thinking of the possibilities. I have spoken with several businesses who build the truck conversions and have been told to come up with a floor plan/design to fit my needs. My foundation design is similar to a Thor Outlaw but larger as a class 8 with diesel drive. We would be towing a toad such as a CRV or Wrangler but have an 8' to 10' garage for storage or small cart, ATV, etc. We are very flexible with the floor plan layout at this time and hence the inquiry into a cad program.
I had looked into the diesel mid-engine MR's with a rear garage but even a used one seems to be few and far between. It seems those certain manufacturers dropped that design over the past several years for some reason, most likely because of limited demand.
In any event the project and hunt is on.
Thanks all.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:06 AM   #10
Dogtales ...

I totally stripped and reconverted a Prevost bus. Having AutoCAD was handy (and I was also very familiar with it) gave me a good start. However I liked TurboCad for its simplicity, so ended up making that my primary design program. For easy 3D cabinet designs, I also found the Google Sketchup program helpful. Building cabinets into an RV requires more weird cuts and contortions than simple home cabinet building. The ability to spin a 3D design around for viewing from all angles sure was helpful.
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:19 AM   #11
I just started looking at Turbocad and the Google Sketchup program. Really good stuff here. Thnx.
It doesn't take much to fall in love with a Prevost. Good job.