Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2010, 10:27 PM   #29

I have to agree with DiandTom. We drove from Little Rock to OK City on IH 40 last year and I thought it was going to beat my coach up totally.

In OK if it is not a TOLL road, it is the PITS.
MikeandClaudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2010, 11:29 PM   #30

My goodness, your complaining, and you drove on some of our BETTER highways. The 80 between Reno and Sacramento is on my list of the worst highways in the Western USA (I haven't traveled to the East). The 10 near Redlands is horrible. The 118 up by my house will have your rig bucking and your teeth rattling. Did I forget to mention the I-5 over the grapevine. I try to drive behind a MiniCooper. That way when it falls into a pothole I can just drive right over it.
Luckily, our high taxes and ridiculous fuel prices and taxes are being used to fix these road....Oh, this just in...there not being use to fix the roads.
Happy Trails ya all.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:12 AM   #31

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have traveled in the east,west,north and south and the worst stretch of road I have ever been on was I80 from Reno to Sacramento over Donner pass. About 30MPH and mostly 20MPH is all I could make without distroying my MH. I stayed outside of Oakland and I will say that BART was a nice way to get to Sanfrancisco to see the sites.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:06 AM   #32

I'd like to know; what states are the good roads in? 35,000 miles to date and haven't found one state I couldn't complain about. Arkansas being the worst.
tworootless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 02:44 PM   #33
rf4

Winnebago Owners Club
Most of the goods from Asia come through California, which handles 40 percent of all U.S. containerized shipments. They have to be trucked somewhere, trucks beat up roads.
rf4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 03:53 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rf4 View Post
trucks beat up roads.
...and maintenance fixes them.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:10 PM   #35

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rf4 View Post
Most of the goods from Asia come through California, which handles 40 percent of all U.S. containerized shipments. They have to be trucked somewhere, trucks beat up roads.
And most of it goes to intermodal yards and makes its way out of California via rail, shipping outside of local or near by state via truck is overly expensive.

There's a large number of what used to be Southern Pacific intermodal yards in California, where the containers are offloaded from the boats and right onto stack trains or pig trains.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:45 PM   #36

Calif Roads are terrible

When I grew up here California roads were so good / advanced they were a tourist attraction. Now California is just slowly liquidating the whole State infrastructure and paying all the money to the bosses that run the place and their minions / workers.

But I drove on I-5 south a few months ago up the grapevine and into LA. The roads were awful. The two right lanes are torn up. My motor home that normally rides like a magic carpet was banged, bruised, and thumped to death by that road.

The contrast in I - 5 when you go from Oregon to CA is really stark. Oregon roads are in far better condition. And this is a whole State that does not collect sales tax.

I will be escaping soon.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:20 PM   #37

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Bob View Post
The contrast in I - 5 when you go from Oregon to CA is really stark. Oregon roads are in far better condition. And this is a whole State that does not collect sales tax.

I will be escaping soon.
I'm with you B Bob. I also am a native Californian and found the I-5 all the way through Oregon is in great shape. Mostly only 2 lanes wide, but nice and smooth. I know what you mean about escaping CA

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 07:34 PM   #38

Recently traveled from Texas to Chicago. Oklahoma highways are the pits but Missouri was great. Slo-mo
ronswank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 10:12 PM   #39

California roads are bad. And with a 20Billion dollar deficeit They aren't going to get better very soon. But with that said on our cross country trip 4 years ago the worst roads where in Arkansas. I couldn't believe how bad I40 was.
"I won't be wronged I won't be insulted I won't be layed a hand on. I don't do these things to other people. And I require the same from them." (John Bernard Books) John Wayne The Shootist his last Movie.
CorsairIIAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 11:27 PM   #40

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
Quote:
Originally Posted by deaton View Post
You'd best not come to Louisiana either........
Amen to that. I have to drive back through Louisiana to get home, unless I want a 600 mile detour. What do they do with road money in the Sportsmen's Paradise? They certainly don't keep the roads in good repair.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 01:19 PM   #41

Workhorse Chassis Owner
CarlGeo

Wish you right about taxes on gasoline in California. Right now they are over $0.70/gal

George
cvrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 01:45 PM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just returned fom an 8,000 mile trip and found that Westchester County in New York has the worst roads in the USA, Lousianna is next. They have poured concrete roads but someone forgot to tell them that you need a concrete finisher to complete the job. Then there is California. California has taken everything that is bad and doesn't work in other states and incorperated it into California. Trash and Graffiti everywhere. When the illegles come up, they must bring their trash and spray cans with them. LA is a sanctuary city you know !
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote