Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2010, 01:53 PM   #43

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes, I know. That's why we want to leave so bad.
Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2010, 02:15 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We found the worst road in Texas last week. Hwy 75 north out of Dallas is not too old, but it is like driving on a wash board. I have never seen a road this bad in Texas before. It is comparable to the roads in Oklahoma.

WHile on the subject of Oklahoma, After you come off the Indian nation turnpike and headed to Tulsa, the north bound side in Okmulkee is about as bad as it can get and still eb classified as a road....on second thought, a cow trail is better.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 02:19 PM   #45

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabee FTer View Post
Yes, I know. That's why we want to leave so bad.
The problem is, that the weather down her in So Cal is too good to leave.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 02:35 PM   #46

Solo Rvers Club
Okay, Chuck, I've been MIA for awhile from this venue, and wouldn't you know that I'd get to one of your posts first! I agree, California is really bad. So, just what is a Sanctuary City, anyway? That's a new one for me
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 03:13 PM   #47

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
[QUOTE=steelheadbluesman;742149]Okay, Chuck, I've been MIA for awhile from this venue, and wouldn't you know that I'd get to one of your posts first! I agree, California is really bad. So, just what is a Sanctuary City, anyway? That's a new one for me [/QUOTE

Good to see you back!!

Los Angeles has a don't ask don't tell policy for illeagal aliens. Our city goverment is unable to distinguish between legal and illegal.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:03 AM   #48

Solo Rvers Club
Thanks, it's good to be back, feels good to get back in touch with everyone! Well, I'm sitting in snow and freezing Oregon temps, so I kinda wish I was driving down some of those crummy CA roadways, heading out across the desert... Ah well, maybe in a month or so, eh?
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 05:00 PM   #49

Many years ago, I teamed up with a driver from CA. I'd never been there, and he had lived there for about 40 years before moving back to Arkansas. He told me how much better the roads were there. In fact, he drove a dump truck back in the day, and helped to build the interstates in CA.

Soon after we entered the state, he fell silent, and by the time we got to Ontario, he was mumbling under his breath.

Never heard another word about how great the CA highways were.

And this was 1989, some 21 years ago, long before the current governor ever thought of running for the office.
Old 11-28-2010, 05:04 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
We found the worst road in Texas last week. Hwy 75 north out of Dallas is not too old, but it is like driving on a wash board. I have never seen a road this bad in Texas before. It is comparable to the roads in Oklahoma.
US 75 is pretty bad, but nothing to compare with it (and 69) up in OK. The worst stretch of road that I know of in TX is I-20 between I-635 and Terrell, TX.

LA and PA consistently win the vote among truckers for worst roads in the U.S. in the annual survey run by a trucker's magazine, and AR comes in in the worst 5.
Old 11-28-2010, 05:21 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblanche View Post
Never heard another word about how great the CA highways were.

And this was 1989, some 21 years ago,
And the problem is that some of the roads seem like 1989 is when they got their last maintenance

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 09:10 PM   #52

cvrvr

My post regarding gas tax was only the SALES tax, and did not include all other taxes, both federal and state that are imposed on the sale of gasoline.

I don't remember when Cal imposed the state SALES tax on gas,but when the state placed the SALES tax on gas the actual tax was probably less than 5%, but now its at least 8.25%. In addition you have the other taxes, state and federal that are imposed on each gallon of fuel. But the SALES tax is imposed on the actual total sale. Each fuel pump must post the total taxes on fuel. The posting will show the federal taxes for each gallon, the state taxes for each gallon, AND the SALES tax percentage charges, just like the sales tax charges on your meal in a resturant.

My point is the state actually receives more money when the price of gas is increased! Therefore, the state is happy to see the price of fuel INCREASE!
CarlGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:20 AM   #53
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Agree about Tenn. roads.

Texas has not been bad either.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:06 AM   #54

Freightliner Owners Club
Cali roads were bad before Arnold. I suspect that many road tax dollars have been diverted to pet projects like rapid transit, bike paths, etc. Just did the I5 from the OR border to Bakersfield and the roads were lousy.

Nick
traveler of california is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:18 PM   #55

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler of california View Post
Cali roads were bad before Arnold. I suspect that many road tax dollars have been diverted to pet projects like rapid transit, bike paths, etc. Just did the I5 from the OR border to Bakersfield and the roads were lousy.

Nick
I'm afraid allot of the money is/was diverted into certain contractors wallets.
Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:31 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabee FTer View Post
I'm afraid allot of the money is/was diverted into certain contractors wallets.

No this started under Gov. Moonbeam in the 70's for his pet projects. He would divert gas tax dollars from road projects to the Pet projects. And guess what these idiots down here did a few weeks ago they elect him again. Go figure.
"I won't be wronged I won't be insulted I won't be layed a hand on. I don't do these things to other people. And I require the same from them." (John Bernard Books) John Wayne The Shootist his last Movie.
CorsairIIAT is offline   Reply With Quote