Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2015, 10:01 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Ditto on the ca rrroooaaadddsss....

TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2015, 10:04 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalynzoo View Post
Towing any trailer the same rules apply.
55mph max speed, must drive in the right two lanes on a multi-lane highway or the right lane on a 2 lane highway.
Right lane ONLY unless passing!

Old 12-28-2015, 10:15 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
Right lane ONLY unless passing!

Really? The law must have changed since I had my class 1 to drive a tractor trailer locally here in CA (40 years ago). We could drive in the right two on multi-lane and right lane only on a two lane. The problem with right lane only is that an increasing amount of those entering the freeway from the right (merging) feel that they have the right of way and that those already traveling at freeway speeds in that lane need to accommodate them by altering speed or moving over). Very frustrating 😡.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:32 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavingABlast View Post
Really? The law must have changed since I had my class 1 to drive a tractor trailer locally here in CA (40 years ago). We could drive in the right two on multi-lane and right lane only on a two lane. The problem with right lane only is that an increasing amount of those entering the freeway from the right (merging) feel that they have the right of way and that those already traveling at freeway speeds in that lane need to accommodate them by altering speed or moving over). Very frustrating ��.
No, the law in Cali is Vehicles Towing keep right except to pass (read the signs when you cross state lines) CHP hands out tickets for cruising in the lane left of the far right if your not passing.
I cant comment about the 40 years ago...
Old 12-28-2015, 10:42 AM   #19

Add the taxes and price of fuel to the above litany of why you should not drive in California and you've about covered all my reasons. So I don't.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 12:08 PM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Last week I drove across CA from Needles to Paso Robles, onI40 hwys 58, 99 and 46. On that entire run I cruised btwn 60 and 65. I was being passed by 18 wheelers all the way. I saw no indication that anyone was enforcing 55 mph. One day I was going down hwy 101 following a Caltrans truck towing a heavy equip. trailer. I was doing 70 mph, never could pass him.
On another question. Why do they have signs on every freeway entrance that says "No pedestrians, no bicycles, no motor powered bicycles', and along the freeway have signs saying "share the road" with a picture of a bicycle?

Glenn
Old 12-28-2015, 01:02 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn and Kathy View Post
On another question. Why do they have signs on every freeway entrance that says "No pedestrians, no bicycles, no motor powered bicycles', and along the freeway have signs saying "share the road" with a picture of a bicycle?

Glenn
Those signs are only on freeway systems where none of those types of equipment or people are supposed to be. On regular highways it is different and that is where you see those signs. However, there are places that merge the freeways with bicycles, etc and you may see signs in those places. I never have said our state is run by anyone with brains.
Old 12-28-2015, 03:13 PM   #22

Quote:
No, the law in Cali is Vehicles Towing keep right except to pass (read the signs when you cross state lines) CHP hands out tickets for cruising in the lane left of the far right if your not passing.

Thanks for the info DMTTRANSPORT....and not taking a shot at my experience from 40yr ago😎.
Old 12-28-2015, 03:53 PM   #23
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The OP's Diesel licensed in another state is welcome and even CA licensed pre-1997 Diesels are emissions exempt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn and Kathy View Post
Last week...

Glenn
Peds, Bikes, and scooters CAN use some of the interstates in CA, where there is no alternate roadway...Example: The 5 from San Clemente to Oceanside (through Camp Pendleton). I would NEVER do it by foot or bike, but others do - those Lance Armstrong clones in their spandex fill the shoulder on Sunday's

Also...NO HOV (carpool) lane use while towing anything.
Don't ask how I known that

Please come enjoy California...and when you go home, please take someone from here with you. It's getting too crowded

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 04:15 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Peds, Bikes, and scooters CAN use some of the interstates in CA, where there is no alternate roadway...Example: The 5 from San Clemente to Oceanside (through Camp Pendleton).
FYI, you can bike through the Camp Pendleton base not all of the guards know the route. There is a defined path but find out where before you go. It can be quite confusing and taking the wrong route through the base can get you in trouble.
Old 12-28-2015, 04:30 PM   #25

I don't like driving in CA either and avoid doing so if possible, but there is some absolutely beautiful scenery there as well as interesting places to visit. IMHO, it is well worth putting up with the negatives in order to experience the positives, at least once.

Just my 2c.

Steve
Old 12-28-2015, 06:17 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
In my experience in towing in California, you go 55 mph until you get to Sacremento, then speed up to about 75 in order not to get run over!
Old 12-29-2015, 10:25 AM   #27

Quote:
From the https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/co...df?MOD=AJPERES Page 20

"By law (CVC 22406), vehicles towing trailers must stay in the right-hand traffic lane or as close as possible to the right edge or curb. If you drive on a divided highway with four or more traffic lanes in the same direction or where a specific lane or lanes have not been designated, you can drive in the lane just to the left of the right-hand traffic lane. When overtaking or passing another vehicle going in the same direction, you must use either: (1) the designated lane, (2) the lane just to the left of the right-hand lane, or (3) the right-hand traffic lane when use of that lane is permitted."

Also worthy of note is that even while passing, you may not exceed the 55 MPH limit (although many, if not most, routinely do). In my experience on CA roads, CHP is generally pretty lenient about the speed limits but not so much about the lane restrictions.
Old 12-29-2015, 12:10 PM   #28

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
Add the taxes and price of fuel to the above litany of why you should not drive in California and you've about covered all my reasons. So I don't.
Thank you.

There are way too many people that like being in California.

Stay away.

1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california, travel