Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2015, 04:13 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdarrin View Post
Also worthy of note is that even while passing, you may not exceed the 55 MPH limit (although many, if not most, routinely do). In my experience on CA roads, CHP is generally pretty lenient about the speed limits but not so much about the lane restrictions.
It amazes me at how many times I see people pulling trailers in the fast lane and even in the carpool lanes driving along at 70 plus mph, like they do it all the time.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2015, 04:15 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdarrin View Post
From the https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/co...df?MOD=AJPERES Page 20

"By law (CVC 22406), vehicles towing trailers must stay in the right-hand traffic lane or as close as possible to the right edge or curb. If you drive on a divided highway with four or more traffic lanes in the same direction or where a specific lane or lanes have not been designated, you can drive in the lane just to the left of the right-hand traffic lane. When overtaking or passing another vehicle going in the same direction, you must use either: (1) the designated lane, (2) the lane just to the left of the right-hand lane, or (3) the right-hand traffic lane when use of that lane is permitted."

Also worthy of note is that even while passing, you may not exceed the 55 MPH limit (although many, if not most, routinely do). In my experience on CA roads, CHP is generally pretty lenient about the speed limits but not so much about the lane restrictions.

Yep...that is the way that I remembered it. In all my years of driving CA roadways, I've only heard of two who were actually cited for towing in excess of 55. I agree with your assessment of staying in the proper lane(s) when towing.

Old 12-31-2015, 04:51 PM   #31
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
You would have to have blinders on not to see the 55 mph SIGNS when towing in California. They pretty much post a 55 towing sign after EVERY speed limit sign on the interstate.

Even though I'm use to towing in the right lane(s) in California, I never really thought it appropriate to tow in the fast lane (number 1 lane) in any state.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 07:54 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
I drove thru the illogical mess that is california in my Suburban towing two waverunners. Got a ticket. Seems that since I was 'towing', I had to observe the same rules as the 80,000 pound semis -- no left lane, 55mph, etc. I wonder if the same would apply if I was on my 800 pound motorcycle towing my little 400 pound trailer. I've had enough of ca.

More California bashing! If your motorcycle is a vehicle and if it is towing something then yes. Remember in California you are not the only vehicle on the road and the signs explaining this law are posted all over. I'm sure California has had enough of you too.
Old 01-01-2016, 08:03 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Grump View Post
More California bashing! If your motorcycle is a vehicle and if it is towing something then yes. Remember in California you are not the only vehicle on the road and the signs explaining this law are posted all over. I'm sure California has had enough of you too.
Is there a thread on here for Commiefornia Bashing, Born there and lived there for 45 years, left in 2001 and I would spend a lot of time on the thread telling it like it is.....
Old 01-01-2016, 08:11 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Grump View Post
Not bashing, just telling it like it is when one state's rules, regs and environment are so very different from the other 49's. Funny how when an honest comment and opinion immediately gets labeled as California Bashing, the cat fight starts, and the thread us usually closed and sometimes deleted. Great camouflage, but the facts speak.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 08:11 PM   #35

Outdoors RV Owners Club
As an ex-native Californian, I could bash the state for a long time, too. But to what end?

It's a nice place to visit. Bring some patience. Bring your money. Have a great trip. Spend a week, a month, a couple of months seeing a beautiful part of the North American continent. Leave your money. Go home. Have great memories of the trip you enjoyed to California.

Congratulations, you win.
Old 01-01-2016, 08:55 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
Not bashing, just telling it like it is when one state's rules, regs and environment are so very different from the other 49's. Funny how when an honest comment and opinion immediately gets labeled as California Bashing, the cat fight starts, and the thread us usually closed and sometimes deleted. Great camouflage, but the facts speak.

Probably because we have the nations largest population, a huge economy and an environment that we love and cherish. We want to protect these things.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:12 PM   #37
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Let's get back to the topic of traveling.i
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 09:17 PM   #38

California travel!
Old 01-02-2016, 10:13 AM   #39

Like all states, California has good and bad. The 55mph limit while towing is outdated and dangerous.

By the lack of vehicles towing I see stopped by the CHP, it appears our traffic officers agree.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:23 AM   #40

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
California

Ever seen the desert wildflower bloom during a good year in the Borrego Springs area? Wow!
Old 01-02-2016, 11:31 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider99 View Post
Ever seen the desert wildflower bloom during a good year in the Borrego Springs area? Wow!

Thank you! Yes I have. You need to take the time to just sit in one place for a while to observe their subtle beauty. If you go there looking for a lush tropical garden, you will be disappointed. If however you look at the terrain and consider the harsh summers, to see these plants bloom in the spring is truly a sight to behold.

We were hiking Palm Canyon (Borrego Springs) in a light rain one spring. All of the fair weather hikers had vacated the area (maybe they were smarter than me&#129300. In any event, about a dozen Peninsula Big Horn sheep were very near (very rare sighting). DW and I just hunkered down in our ponchos. The sheep continued grazing within 5-10 yards of us. We just poked our lenses out the neck hole of the poncho and clicked away. Magic! We will never forget that afternoon.

Looking farther north, the Poppy Fields have a potential for a banner bloom come March. The bloom requires a wet September-November period the prior year. So we might be in for treat. If you want to check this out, here is a hyperlink:

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=627

I can't guarantee a great bloom. But if it is, you will remember it for a long time. The bloom is quick, sort of like fall color in the North East, of the Cherry Blossom's in Washington, D.C.., so timing is everything. Check ahead before you go.
Old 01-02-2016, 12:11 PM   #42
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thread warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
Let's get back to the topic of traveling.i
Several posts were removed for being off-topic and entering into political discussions which may also be baiting to other members...all prohibited posts by the Community Rules.

And, these posts immediatly followed the staff warning quoted above.
Please stay on topic and/or post within the CR's.

Thank you,
Steve as iRV2 Staff

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california, travel