Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-20-2013, 05:44 PM   #15
I was actually out camping one weekend and saw my previous MH,I went over and introduced myself. They seemed like a real nice family so I ask them if they would like some extras that went to their MH. They seemed real appreciative to receive $1,500 dollar worth of new unused stuff. All of this was after CW refused to tell me their names.

2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2013, 07:42 PM   #16
Monaco Owners Club
When I sold ALL my previous MH's I always gave my info in case new owners had any questions. I was always glad to help them any way I could. But only four times did I EVER hear from any of them. 3 were from a pop-up I sold w/questions on opening and closing. One from class C sale on a vacuum cleaner (bag question), I threw in with the sale. ;-)

Java Memah and The Senator ...HAPPY CAMPERS from WAY BACK ! ...CURRENT Hermit Crab Shell on Wheels is a 34'/1992 Holiday Rambler 1000(ClassA)
Java Memah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:40 PM   #17
The minute I dropped our MH off at the Dealers lot, it stopped being my coach and became the Dealers'. I was not involved in the buy/sell negotiations or privy to any of the representations/promises/ or commitments made by the Dealer to the buyer. As a result, I respected & appreciated the fact that the Dealer accepted this responsibility and not only kept our name & contact info out of the buy/sell ......but also out of any possible buyers remorse, future problems or misrepresentations of the unit.
Jack & Maggie
04-Rexhall Roseair (37)
Cummins ISC / Spartan
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:16 PM   #18
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by Stano View Post
Nothing like talking to the previous owner to find out how to work all the bells and whistles.

X2 agree 1000%
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:38 PM   #19
National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
I bought my class C new and kept it for 17 years. I tried to keep all the repair bills in a folder. They all had my name, address, and phone number on them so if the new owner wanted to contact me he could. I sold it at PPL and it was so fast that I didn't even get a few items there before it was gone.
My class A, I bought from friends in an RV club. I bugged them constantly before I actually bought it but once the deal was done I have only asked a couple of questions. I have their email and we are friends on Facebook. They said they like hearing about my travels in their former motorhome and am glad I am enjoying it.
Barbara Spade
Jaymie (Sheltie/Pom) and Luke (Sheltie/mix)
35' Sea View (Class A) MH & Honda CR-V toad.
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 04:40 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
I received a call from a prospective buyer on a Class C I had traded in ... this was back in '02 or so. I am assuming the dealer gave them my number. He had some good questions and I gave him honest answers... I never did hear whether he bought it or not.
Terry & Brenda - From the Iowa Banks of the Mighty Mississippi
2011 Winnie Journey 34y, Freightliner / Cummins , 2012 Chevy Colorado Toad

Chiefbvfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:06 PM   #21
From the other side: when we traded our DP for a bus, I told the dealer it was ok to share contact info with the new owner. About a month later, the new owner called and wanted to fuss at me because the dealer told him it was a no smoking/no pets coach and he found pet hair. I told him we did not say it was no pets and the dealer even saw our cats. His grand daughter loved our big yellow girl.

Then, the hubby tried to give him some tips about the coach. He just blew it off.

So not sure if I would talk to a new owner again or not.
1997 Prevost towing 2011 Ford Ranger
2008 Winnebago View towing 2008 Mini Clubman
AprilWhine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 05:16 PM   #22
Ford Super Duty Owner
In some states like KY for cars it is not optional. There is a sticker on the windshield of used cars there that says By law if a dealer knows the previous owner he must give to a customer if the customer request it.
Of course I'd be weary of any dealer who won't give a name.
Ky is a state where the plates follow the vehicle owner to owner.
so if you are in boyd co Ky at a car lot and a car for sale has a boyd co plate then the dealer should have and idea who owned the car.
don't know if this applies to other motor vehicles like RVs .
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 05:24 PM   #23
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When we moved from a fifth wheel to a Class A we put our tow vehicle - a 1999 Ford F450 - on a consignment lot. They did not want to take responsibility for the hitch or spare tire, which could not be locked up, so I kept them in my shed with the assurance that I would be able to turn them over to the new owners of the truck when it sold. Well, it sold and we headed down to the lot to sign the papers and turn over the hitch and spare. The new owners had already taken possession of the truck and had left - we still have the hitch and spare, 7 years later!
Alan Hepburn - San Jose, Ca
2007 Bounder 35E being pushed by a 2008 smart fortwo Passion
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 04:26 AM   #24
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When we upgraded from a Class C we were told to remove everything with our identifying information from the coach. Like many of you I had planned to leave anything connected with what we had done to the vehicle with it. It wasn't too long after the trade in that I got a call from the new owner. The entire conversation was very belligerent, wanting to know why we traded it in, what was wrong with it, etc. I would have been OK if he wanted to ask specific questions about how something worked but will not put up with being interrogated like a criminal.
Cliff Fargason
US Army (ret)
2012 Fleetwood Bounder
Cum catapultae proscriptae soli proscript catapultas habebunt
gray ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:40 AM   #25
Monaco Owners Club
We did a private sale so talked to what became the previous owners the whole time. We did get some paperwork on things that were done but that's fine. Did not bother calling them afterward as they had no idea how some things worked in the coach. For instance we asked about the doorbell and they had no clue but it never worked and had no idea on why, after buying it Thom looked at it and all it needed was a couple of batteries. Another was one of the times they took it in to get something fixed was to find out how to turn the bathroom fan on.
Thom and Christine having fun in a 1993 Monaco Crown Royale Signature Series 40ft 300hp RV. Towing a Fiat 500 Abarth and a Harley.
Our blogged repairs and travels
PyrateSilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 03:29 PM   #26
We have been on both sides of the new/old owner contact issues. When we traded in our last motorhome, the dealer told us to remove all identifying information and they advised that they do not give out seller information. In several places I hid our contact information and service issues I thought pertinent. About a month later I received a call from the new owners who were very friendly and appreciative of the information I gave them and I sent them all of the service records for the unit. We are still in touch and hope to meet soon.

The other side of the coin came when I found a file that had apparently fallen behind the couch belonging to the past owner of the unit we purchased that contained quite a bit of his personal financial information. I called him to see if he wanted me to send him the folder (and to get some information on the unit) and he immediately began shouting that if I called him again he would call the police and hung up on me. People can be funny! In over 35 years of RVing I have never met a personality like his. Probably why he sold the motorhome, he did not fit in with usually helpful, friendly, RV crowd.
MDPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 05:52 PM   #27
We found a file box under the couch full of titles and financial info from the previous owner. 2 years of searching have taught us that the P.O. went back to his home planet, and took his wife with him.

They are no longer on this planet.
2002 Dutch Star 4097 Spartan/Cummins ISC
singpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:20 PM   #28
One advantage of a private sale is that you meet the previous owner. We feel very fortunate to have done that and had a friendly relationship with them for the first couple of years. They gave us a good deal of detail about the motor-home and how they'd used it.

After a couple of seasons, we figured we were knowledgeable enough to take care of it and things have progressed well. Unfortunately, the operating costs, now coming up on our fourth season, are getting to be too much, and if the latest idea from our state politicians bears fruit (an additional 11 cents/gallon gas tax), we're probably going to become "former" RVers.

Frank Damp -Anacortes, WA,(DW- Eileen)
ex-pat Brits (1968) and now ex-RVers, as of 08 Dec 14.
frankdamp is offline   Reply With Quote