Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2013, 08:40 AM   #1

Calling previous owner?

Do most dealers let you call the previous owner or are you afraid to ask? I called the previous owner on my 03 Pace Arrow, but after I took possession. I could tell it was a well taken care of coach, but I had a lot of questions that I knew only the previous owner could answer! Luckily he, the previous owner was more than willing to answer my questions when I called him.

Stano
Stano is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2013, 08:48 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Lazy Days called the previous owner and got permission for me to call. I did if fact call him a couple of times. Before I purchased.
WesinRockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:48 AM   #3

CW wouldn't not allow me to contact the PO or provide me the phone #. However once I purchased it I was able to get the address from the title and I wrote a letter requesting the PO to contact me by phone. Like you I was in need of info that only the PO would know.
oran42348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:49 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
I would think any reputable dealer would let you call the previous owner. However, many used MH have been bought at auction or transferred from one dealer location to another and the PO name and number most likely lost in the shuffle. When we traded I intentionally left the maintenance records with all personal info for the next buyer. The coach sold the same day we drove off the lot. Never got a call so all was assuredly allright.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:25 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The previous owner has been great to talk to. He did several mods that needed explaining. We have even emailed back and forth a couple times since.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:58 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
When we bought our new Sightseer back in 2004 we traded in our first motor home. The dealer called and asked if he could give our phone number to a prospective buyer. I said he could.

The prospective buyer did call and it was interesting.
He seemed slightly belligerent and asked about some of the known issues with the P30 chassis and 454 engine such as the fan clutch and the exhaust manifolds cracking along with the steering bell crank.

I told him that I had replaced the fan clutch and that the manifolds were replaced with Banks headers and exhaust system and that the bell crank along with some front end parts had been replaced.

I had to keep repeating that several times as he seemed to have a problem believing me. I was patient and kept telling him the same thing. I never did find out if he bought it or not.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:10 PM   #7

Nothing like talking to the previous owner to find out how to work all the bells and whistles.

Stano
Stano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:20 PM   #8
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
In the few times I've called the previous owner of a rv we were interested in, I have found them to be either incredibly naïve about their rv or less than candid when answering my questions. When we traded our last mh for the current one, I gave the dealership a list documenting anything/everything that had been done to it in the 5yrs of ownership. It sold several days after we traded and we subsequently received a call from the new owner checking to be sure we had in fact kept such good records.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:33 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Heh heh heh, we call our rv's previous owner too, because we found he or his father, added some "customized" items, even though they kept meticulous notes on almost everything, some notes we could not read or manual/ literature was too vague. Case in point.... ice maker, prev owner had dealer installed, but at a later time, not where a factory installed one would have been, so slight variance in location of switches/wires.
Living in a small town helps, we all basically know each other anyway.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:50 PM   #10

I actually found the previous owner for my coach on here before I bought it from a dealer. I called him and he told me he loved it and it was great etc, etc.

Now after owning it I am seeing little things here and there that were done kind of funky. I also hired an inspector to check out the coach and have just finished replacing the hydraulic hoses in my coach because apparently a trained inspector can't see fluid leaking from the hoses.
Live and learn. Class A coaches are new to me and there is so much to look at that's why I thought an inspector could help. Now that I am a tiny bit more familiar with them I could have caught this really quickly.

I guess what I'm saying is people are human and all have different perceptions of reality. Even if you talk to the previous owner, their own emotional connection to the coach could cause them to overlook it's faults, or they may think they did everything correct but they didn't know any better.

Just take everything with a grain of salt.
00wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:44 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
nice people

While we were looking at our coach we found the PO name , I looked him up and we talked a few times . He seemed to enjoy the process, he did warn me about going under the coach said he was working in a valve an broke a line !!the coachsat on him his wife quick action saved him,. I know I would be glad to help anyone buying our last coach
gutsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 05:17 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
I would not allow my contact info to be given to prospective purchasers - if they have questions, they can ask the dealer to contact me. I'm not sure about after purchase. Maybe.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:33 PM   #13
laj

I agree. if I'm going to sell through a dealer, pay their charge it's because I don't want to be bothered with the intrusions of all the questions and bothered at all times of day or night. before, during, or after the sale period.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 05:34 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Yes. Ok to contact

I did get the information of our previous owners but really did not need it.
I did give the dealership permission ahead of time for the buyers of my rig to call me prior to purchase.
They sold my unit within about 4 days. New owners called me 4-5 times. Nice people. However they had never owned a 5r previously only TT. But good talking with them and giving them some tips.
They since called me back several weeks later having taken several trips and just love the unit. So she went to a good home!!!

I think it is a great idea and if I ran a dealership any trade unit coming in I would ask the sellers permission ahead. I think good selling point unless they are trying to hide something.
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote