Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2014, 08:40 AM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Camco heated water hose

Anybody used one of these?

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-22900-Ta.../dp/B00HSE3E5E
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2014, 07:17 PM   #2

It may be something to think about if you had an RV that could handle the subfreezing temps and not like mine.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:00 PM   #3

LA Gulf Coast Campers
No, but looking to purchase a heated hose, so I will be watching this thread myself.
Just checked Camping World.... they have a different brand for a much better price... I believe it is the Pirit brand.
RussM311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 09:49 PM   #4

Evergreen Owners Club
I'm not a big Camco fan, but they do seem to have some good reviews.
mo5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 04:11 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I took a common white hose, two rolls of Fancy Duct Tape (pattern) and a string of incandascent rope lights,, Taped the lights to the hose.

The plug is on the RV end of the hose, on the city end I built an outlet adapter and plug in a 100 watt light (Within rating of plug's fuse).

I got a thermostat/outlet adapter, this thing is sold in the north for eve/downspout heaters and stock tank heaters,, It turns on at 35 off at 45.. I have two of them, One of them is outside the motor home and feeds the hose.. the other is inside the fresh water bay and feeds a string of C-9 Christmas Tree Lamps (these are the large outdoor bulbs from days of old) and a 100 watt lamp in the connections bay.

Of course, the night it hit 11 degrees out.. hose was dry and stowed and I still froze one pipe.. No damage though, Just had to use hot water and a bucket to flush the toilet is all.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:55 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi Joe. At $100 for 12 ft, that Camco seems a trifle dear. Also probably not long enough half the time.

Two years ago I bought a 25 ft Pirit brand heated hose through Amazon. As I recall it cost about $90 at that time. Now going into our third winter with no problems. IIRC, it triggers on at about 40*, and turns off at about 45*. In truth, we avoid extreme weather, but we've had many nights in the 20s, and a good stretch of mid-teens in KY last year.

With these hoses the power cord connection is on the female end, and the thermostat on the male end. With this arrangement, my sense is that many people inadvertently install the hose with the thermostat inside their water bay! It's important that the thermostat remain outside the RV for proper operation.

Enjoy!
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 09:58 AM   #7

Not the Camco but a different brand; it worked fine but each end froze. The standing water in the wrapped faucet still froze and the hose connection through the side of the trailer I had at the time froze.

Generally speaking, if it didn't get really cold the heated hose worked but under 20F the connections froze anyway.

I gave up on that and just operate off the internal tank in freezing conditions. The water hose will thaw out sometime in a couple of days and let me refill the tank.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:32 PM   #8

Camco heated water hose

I recently installed the Camco 25' and 12' TastePURE Heated hose, I needed 30' and did not want a 50' hose. I purchased from Amazon as they were the best price and I love their return policy. I posted reviews on Amazon.

IMHO I think they are worth the money. I installed them in below freezing weather with 10" of snow on the ground. I plugged the hose in prior to uncoiling to make it more pliable. I hooked them up and they have been great, water flows even in minus temperature. I'm in Bend, Oregon and the temperature was as low as -5 F. The ability to put the electrical at the end of your choice is great. Also the fact that there is NO thermostat allows me roll up the excess in the heated bay and not have the thermostat turn the hose off. Some people also purchase a remote electrical switch so they can turn the heat Off/On from their coach without having to go in the snow an unplug it. I leave mine plugged in all winter.

The only criticism I have is that when I first turn on a faucet the water that was contained in the hose has both a plastic taste and smell. Once you run the water and expel what was in the hose the plastic taste and smell goes away.

It is MADE IN THE USA and has a 3 year warranty on the heating element from Amazon.

Over the years I have tried several brands including the heat tape with insulation and I prefer the convenience of a heated hose, they are much easier to store and roll up.
STLNLUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 07:08 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Staying at KOA Salome AZ. Thru The Summer, & Loving It..
Send a message via AIM to Bilgerat
I bought mine at CW a few months ago, $101.99 for a 25', (15' is to short IMO) it's a PIRIT.. So far it works fine, I don't notice a taste as yet, but we have only had a cold run of three days & nights at or below freezing. (I had not thought of a plastic taste, will watch for that and comment in Jan). I really like the idea of switching ends on the hose you're looking at, this is a product like "space heaters" IMO should not be plugged into an extension cord. Also on the PIRIT, the thermostat is a couple of feet away from the male end, this allows you to install inside your service bay and keep the thermostat outside in the weather.
NOTE: If you have a water filter and or a pressure regulator hooked up at the "tap", I would move them inside your service bay.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:57 AM   #10

Anytime it's going to get below freezing I fill the water tank then disconnect the fresh water and sewer hose and stow them away. With the $100 I saved not by not buying a heated hose I took my wife to dinner and bought one of these so I can thaw out the RV Park hose bib when I want to re-fill my fresh water tank.

Heat Gun - Dual Temperature Heat Gun, 1500W
AKJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 09:50 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
I found this relevant video for living in an RV during the winter.....
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water