Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2013, 08:55 AM   #15
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
I agree. We promptly remove our campfire clothes ( once inside of course )and secure them tightly in a plastic garbage bag .
Uh huh! And you probably invited the neighbors in right behind you, eh?
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2013, 08:59 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by fountain42 View Post
how do you alleviate campfire smoke entering your coach through a running air conditioner.
Park next to me. I have no idea how to start a campfire and have no need to know in the future.

As an alternative, you could park at Walmart---they don't like fires. However, you will not be parking next to me. LOL
thirdwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:02 AM   #17

The best way would eliminate being around others and or campgrounds. A campfire @ a campground is very very similar to a baseball glove @ a baseball game or sand @ a beach.

If your AC is allowing smoke smell inside...you need to address the leakage in your AC units..I know of NO rooftop AC units that take outside air and put it inside the camper
Old 08-09-2013, 09:16 AM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There are an increasingly number of RV parks (not so much campgrounds, and there is a difference, in my opinion) that don't allow campfires. We choose to frequent those more than those that do allow them. It's all a matter of choice, for the most part.

Bronk
bronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:25 AM   #19

for many families, mine included, camping = campfires. I am working today to design some framing to add to my basement storage slide drawer to better accommodate firewood. It's not the first thing we do when we get there, but we have one every night. As a matter of fact, I can think of nothing more fun then what we did last trip. The campground we were at loaned movies. I have a 9 and 11 year old. We did, for three straight nights, movie nights outside.

37" LCD + Camp Fire + Jiffy Pop popcorn pan + the first 3 Indiana Jones movies over 3 nights = AWESOME.

Soooo, the net is, if you are in a campground that allows fires, expect fires.

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:43 AM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My A/C doesn't bring in outside air so I can run it with all windows shut, keep cool, while the outside air and smoke stay outside.

I can understand the attraction to a campfire to a certain extent. If people really want one, I just wish they would not burn green wood or wet wood as many do. Particulate matter is bad and wood fires put out a tremendous amount. Bad for those with respiratory conditions or allergies. Pollutants increase with green wood.
Burning plastic is another problem. Too many people try to burn out their trash and don't separate the non combustibles from the combustibles.
I do occasionally start a fire. Maybe a milk crate of woods worth a year. Only when I want to cook a special indian dish I do or sometimes a hamburger. If I cook outside I usually use charcoal started with a chimney starter, with the hibachi or dutch ovens. No accelerator needed, just a few scraps of newspaper to start the coals.
I have been in situations where I have had to move because of fires.
I remember one guy who in a national forest, brought a chain saw. He was cutting up green / dead wood up until 10 pm with this stinky chain saw. He stood in front of that fire, when he wasn't cutting wood, feeding it and feeding it for a solid 8 hours. LOL good luck to him, I have better things to do than burn up 8 hours like that.

I like campgrounds that don't have fires.
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:10 AM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
In our DNA

DW and I have same reaction every time we arrive at a campground and smell the "camp fire smell", we look at each other and in harmony say...."I love that smell!!"

Smell seems to recall fond memories for both of us, years of camping with our parents, siblings, now grown children, friends, Boy scout and girl scout camping, etc...

Now look forward to many more campfires with my grandchildren. Sorry if I end up next to you with my campfire, but to me it's part of camping.

I agree with above posts, maybe you need to camp at "RV Resorts", most don't allow campfires, they seem to be more directed to people who never come out of their RV's, stay inside with A/C on and TV playing. We stayed at one once, and only once that pretty much disallowed anything I associate with camping, NO lights on awnings, no rugs, no fires, no grills, no laundry hanging, no music, no bike riding, to me it was not a camp ground it was more like a prison camp. As I used to tell my kids......"that's not camping!"
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:34 AM   #22

Mark me down with the camping=camp fire crowd. Great way to further relax from a relaxing day to start!
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:36 AM   #23

Just noticed, this forum gives you little campfire symbols below your name for the amount of posts you've posted. I'm trying to get that third campfire! LOL!!
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:44 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm sure the smoke is entering your RV from other numerous holes in the unit. I thought that a campfire and chocolate martini's was part of camping.
offshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:56 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

We're among those whose travel doesn't revolve around having a campfire but we've never had an issue with smoke from other fires entering the coach and we really don't mind other campfires around us.

We figure that we've had >1200 nights on the road since buying our coach in 2007. Our best estimate is that you could count all of our campfires on two hands over that time. It might actually be a bit more but not much.

I think a big difference here is with the expectations folks have. IMHO, when "camping" a fire is part of the experience. Issues arise when "travelers" are using campgrounds and have to share a space with "campers".

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:10 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
I've always been told that smoke follows beauty, and that is why I attract smoke. You should Ugly Up, don't bathe for three days, or comb your hair or use makeup. I tried all three, but it didn't work, and I still attract smoke. Go figure! Eddie Elk.
eddieelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:12 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
We're among those whose travel doesn't revolve around having a campfire but we've never had an issue with smoke from other fires entering the coach and we really don't mind other campfires around us.

We figure that we've had >1200 nights on the road since buying our coach in 2007. Our best estimate is that you could count all of our campfires on two hands over that time. It might actually be a bit more but not much.

I think a big difference here is with the expectations folks have. IMHO, when "camping" a fire is part of the experience. Issues arise when "travelers" are using campgrounds and have to share a space with "campers".

Rick
Herein, IMHO, lies the difference between a campground and an RV Park/Resort. Generally speaking I would anticipate campgrounds to have fires and RV Parks/Resorts not so much.

In either case, this kinda reminds me of people that move in next to an airport and then complain about the noise, or those looking for easy access from the Interstate but don't want any road noise. Then there are the folks that want a shady spot with satellite access

This kinda makes RVing fun, all the different folks out there.
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:19 AM   #28

I will say that I don't mind others having campfires as long as they are respectful of those around them. Last Thanksgiving we were camping and this guy and his family pulled in the site behind us, my husband referred to him as super camper LOL. They put their fire pit close to the back of our TT right where the electrical plug goes in to the camper they built a fire almost every night and our camper smell like it had had a fire. They actually left the fire burning unattended the first night and security had a talk with them. I had my husband take a shopping bag from walmart and go out and stuff it around the cord to stop the smoke from coming in. When we got home we traded our TT for a 5'ver that had a plug that attached to the outside of the body. My son and I was sick from breathing all that smoke for about 2 weeks. Like I said I don't mind the campfires because they do bring back memories for me as well. My Mom could build a fire that could host 15 people around it and we cooked pies and hotdogs and marshmellows over it, me I couldn't start a fire if my life depended on it LOL.
volvosweetie is offline   Reply With Quote