Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2013, 12:20 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by stik View Post

In either case, this kinda reminds me of people that move in next to an airport and then complain about the noise, or those looking for easy access from the Interstate but don't want any road noise. Then there are the folks that want a shady spot with satellite access

No kidding. But, I had to laugh at the shade vs satellite analogy.... because that's us!

Seriously though, let's remember that even though this discussion has broadened, the OP's question was about how to keep his AC from sucking in smoke... not how to keep others from having campfires.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2013, 12:36 PM   #30

We had a few smoky campfires around us a couple of nights ago - seems everyone was trying to burn wet or green wood!

Anyway, normally it isn't a problem, but this evening it was getting dreadful inside the RV and I checked each window to see if we have left it cracked open.

Eventually tracked it down to the dryer that DW was running - of course it sucks aire from inside the RV, heats it up and blows through the clothes and then exhausts out of the vent - it was creating a vacuum inside the rv causing the smokey air to enter through the front air vents! DOH!!

Old 08-09-2013, 12:37 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I would think that if you are in a CG with fire rings, you should expect campfires. Most state and federal ones seem to have them. Some "RV resorts" even have them. First thing to do when making a reservation and you don't like campfires should be to ask.

Some CGs have a community fire ring or pit so those who would like one can attend. We stay in one like that and it is fun to sit with others that you may have never even met and swap stories.

I do agree that you should not burn garbage or green wood. Really don't see a reason for the eternal flame fire either unless it is cold during the daytime.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:04 PM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
If it's hot enough to run the A/C, we don't have a camp fire.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:32 PM   #33

Everyone miss understood the question we are not against fires at all it's the airconditioner that is sucking the smoke in our coach, eye watering smoke. I turned the air off and eliminated the problem but got warm inside then.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:42 PM   #34

In which case you have a leak somewhere in your AC vent/duct

An AC system should be a closed loop and not suck air in from outside - if it is then a seal has failed and it's being very inefficient

Track down the leak and fix it an you will find your AC is also a lot more efficient.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:49 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV A/C units only recirculate air and do not take in any fresh air. The smoke is entering through leaks.

I hate to wind up downwind from some of the campers that immediately light off a fire and burn the thing the whole time they are camping. From the smell of the fire, they must be burning old Grandads old underwear.

Ken
Old 08-09-2013, 06:26 PM   #36

Usually if you're running your AC it's not cold enough to have a Campfire ???? Am I missing something ?
Old 08-09-2013, 06:31 PM   #37

TdogKing it's called camping
Old 08-09-2013, 06:49 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Definately sounds like the OP has a leak in the AC system.

As for the rest of the conversation:

This sounds like the apples and oranges thing. I love to camp...and I love to go "RVing".

When camping, we cook on the fire, get as dirty as we can and have endless adventures in the woods. When RVing, we dress just a little nicer, use real dishes and go out to dinner .

Different CG's for different activities.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:09 PM   #39

Ever see a motor home that floats? These things are not air-tight.

Fountain, if you have a foam or other type of AC filter, you have a closed AC system and it should not draw outside air in. If you have eye watering smoke, you are either using an exhaust fan that sucks air in or you have a massive air leak. I've also heard that saying "I hate rabbits" works. Or... you could bring me with you. No matter where I stand or sit, smoke finds me.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:20 PM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Check around slide seals (assuming you have them). They may need a push to get them in the right position. Read somewhere after a waxing, the seals wouldn't grab properly and weren't quite sealing tightly.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:23 PM   #41

A little talc (baby powder) on the slide seals will lubricate them. Same principle they use for exam gloves.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:31 PM   #42

I didn't intend to cross anyone wrong I was asking about a issue I have and needed help. If you don't like fires that's your business I consider a fire part of camping but that's me. Any way thanks for the help I'll take a look at my air conditioner.