Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2013, 11:25 AM   #57
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My weekend guest insisted on s'mores.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-263117020.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	777.9 KB
ID:	44048

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2013, 11:25 AM   #58

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirpurrcival View Post
Maybe not exclusively for heat but there are many times when they are being made needlessly. You inevitably run into the person that brings the equivalent of a sawmill with them. Fire burning briskly away at 2 in the afternoon on a hot sunny day, no one sitting around it and certainly no one cooking with it. I love campfires but I do wish people would restrict their use to times when they have a purpose be it heat, light or at least entertainment. Anything else is just plain wasteful.
Isn't driving around in and 7mpg vehicle instead of a hybrid and tent or hotels the very definition of wasteful?

What you see as 'wasteful' another doesn't. As long as they aren't burning it on your site, why concern yourself about it?

Unattended fires are a different matter altogether, of course.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:28 AM   #59

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemosley01

Clue: Campfires aren't exclusively for heat.
Agreed! Staring at a campfire makes me look more intelligent than gazing blankly into space. Sometimes my taters are cooking and if I if bury a pig or goat and slow cook it all day, I am a popular guy when I ring the dinner bell. But if the smoke bothers someone, they're free to eat elsewhere. What's funny about that is years ago, I lived in the South Valley in ABQ. Folks did that in their backyard and some still do today. Darn city slickers.
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:55 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
My weekend guest insisted on s'mores.
He looks like an expert!
Old 08-12-2013, 04:01 PM   #61

Cliff that is the kind of fire-pit I carry. I also carry a carton of those 2hr fabricated logs to side-step the multi-state firewood movement ban. I build a fire and 2 hrs later it is burned-out before I go indoors. Our 5yr old grandson likes to toast marshmallows too.
The fabricated logs work well for me, since I have severe chronic asthma.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:22 PM   #62
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I hit that pit with a hose as soon as he was done as we went to the game room ( love his visits ) and wouldn't leave it burning unattended.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:34 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemosley01 View Post

Clue: Campfires aren't exclusively for heat.
Well understand that but if its hot enough to run the AC I won't be sitting by any Campfire but each to his own.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:03 AM   #64

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
not quite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
BTW, the state was currently under a burn ban due to dry weather.
There are only two reasons for leaving a burning fire ignorance or indifference.
As Forest Gump would say "Stupid is as stupid does"

That ain't ignorant, that's stupid!!
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:41 AM   #65

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Just a note. Those manufactured fire logs like Duraflame are not intended for cooking
Quote:
No. Duraflame fire logs are not designed nor intended for use as a cooking fuel. Generally, the types of solid fuel used for cooking produce coals, which emanate heat over a period of time, and cooking is conducted by exposing the food directly to the heat generated by the coals. Our regular fire logs only burn with flames and do not generate adequate coals for cooking. For roasting food over a cozy fire, try duraflame Campfire Roasting Logs instead.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:07 AM   #66

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemosley01 View Post
Isn't driving around in and 7mpg vehicle instead of a hybrid and tent or hotels the very definition of wasteful?

What you see as 'wasteful' another doesn't. As long as they aren't burning it on your site, why concern yourself about it?

Unattended fires are a different matter altogether, of course.

I generally don't concern myself with it but I still don't care for it. We all share this rock and the materials on it. If someone has a reasonable case for a fire, no problem here but you know that isn't always the situation. Having campfires the way some have campfires would be akin to me running that 7 mpg vehicle for hours on end with no particular reason other than to hear it run. Conservation has to start somewhere.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:59 AM   #67

If you REALLY don't like it, get one of these, put a 4x6 vent from Home Depot and put the unit outside with a 4 inch hose through a dryer vent to the inside of your camper. That will put the whole camper under positive pressure and HEPA filter the air coming in.

Just saying.

http://austinair.com/

A bit extreme, but it would work if you really need it. I have one at home that runs 24/7 and it really removes dust and odors for the whole house. I hooked it up the way mentioned above when I did some drywall repairs, put up a visqueen barrier and you couldn't tell drywall was being worked on in the rest of the house
Old 08-13-2013, 12:29 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
Just a note. Those manufactured fire logs like Duraflame are not intended for cooking
HD4Mark
Correct!
I would not risk feeding anyone I cared about anything cooked, roasted or heated over a manufactured fire log fire.... unless the lable specifically stated it was "safe" to do so, (and maybe not even then).
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 08-13-2013, 01:10 PM   #69

If you don't like smoke smell, go some place else or stay at home, smell smog, listen to sirens and all the traffic, guy next door mowing grass at 7:00 on Sunday morning, Deal with it stop complaining!!!!
Old 08-13-2013, 01:45 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltfishin View Post
If you don't like smoke smell, go some place else or stay at home, smell smog, listen to sirens and all the traffic, guy next door mowing grass at 7:00 on Sunday morning, Deal with it stop complaining!!!!
OP was not complaining, remember, just asking for help. We probably lost him quite a way back.

As for "Deal with it stop complaining!!!!", I agree. There are many ways to do that and it's up to the individual to figure out what suits him/her.

Cheers!

Sue
Old camper & watcher of evening fires. (Older some days than others.)