Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2013, 01:39 PM   #71

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
HD4Mark
Correct!
I would not risk feeding anyone I cared about anything cooked, roasted or heated over a manufactured fire log fire.... unless the lable specifically stated it was "safe" to do so, (and maybe not even then).
Mel
'96 Safari
Wasn't really aimed at you Mel. I just got thinking about it and Googled it just to see. I don't think we have ever used one of them so not familiar. Thought I would share the answer.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2013, 05:17 PM   #72

Well this may be off target but I crawled up on the roof and removed the air conditioner cover, and the people that were not bickering over fires and answered my question was right the seal around the sealed part or the unit was leaking bad, I sealed it with latex chalk will that hold? (now don't fight over chalk now please).
fountain42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:40 PM   #73

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by fountain42 View Post
Well this may be off target but I crawled up on the roof and removed the air conditioner cover, and the people that were not bickering over fires and answered my question was right the seal around the sealed part or the unit was leaking bad, I sealed it with latex chalk will that hold? (now don't fight over chalk now please).

LATEX, oh my gosh, NEVER use latex

Just kidding but sorry I couldn't help it.

Reminds me of post I read one time that said silicone caulk would not stick to fiberglass....... but to remove it said you would need silicone caulk remover!!
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:06 AM   #74

trode, Nice!
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:59 PM   #75

Quote:
Off topic? Funny man! It's the rest if us who seem to get sidetracked and silly, of course. Or off course, if you prefer!

I'm glad you found some good suggestions and that one of them works for you. Ain't no fun camping if you can hardly breathe!

Cheers!

Sue
Old 08-14-2013, 08:03 PM   #76

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Isn't that fun! You ask a simple question..... But really, I am glad you got it fixed, in spite of all the crazy side tracking going on here. Maybe some one should start a thread about campfires. As apposed to how to stop air leakage of smoke into the AC unit.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:16 PM   #77

Quote:
I'm sorry if my comment about the fires got things started. I did try to focus on the problem, I had no idea it would be so enticing.

I used foil tape on mine. I can't imagine the product you used should be a problem. Was it a big hole?
Adaycj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:49 AM   #78

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We all seem to like to take the ball and run with it here. Even if it is in the wrong direction When someone has a tail light out we can discuss what the best tail lights are, where to get them at the best price and how 12 volts flows through them. We might even tell the OP how to fix them.

I plead guilty BTW.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:40 AM   #79

Thor Owners Club
DW and I have been out on the road the last 3 weeks and have been staying at parks that have a no fire policy. Two CG had a common area where you could stop by and enjoy a controlled campfire and meet other campers.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:47 AM   #80

Have never experienced any smoke, fumes etc to be introduced through any RV AC we have owned, All recycled internal air only.

We have not used a wood campfire for many years. I used to carry wood, but there are often restrictions about bringing wood from other jurisdictions, so we stopped that and bought a propane fired campfire from CW. We love it, no smell, soot, sparks etc, and can adjust/kill the flame instantly as required. Can be used even during many "campfire restricted" areas.

We had an awning destroyed by sparks from a neighboring campsite a few years ago also. Some people think a big roaring campfire is cool, with sparks flying everywhere and it is too hot to get close to the flames. And indeed the smell can be unpleasant if the wrong fuel is used. Agree a campfire goes with camping but as in everything, common sense must be applied.

With the propane unit we can get upclose to the fire and roast marshmellows, wieners etc and adjust the flame for the occasion. Can also put it under my awning if I want to and can put a cooktop on it to cook almost anything. I carry an external propane tank for my fireplace, but there is no reason why an outlet from the internal tanks could not be used.

We have a permanent propane campfire for my stickhouse and internal gas fireplaces in our house. Works for us and beats cleaning up all the mess created by wood fires. We can fire up the gas units anytime and shut them down just as quick.

Wondered how many others use gas fired campfires and just find them more convenient.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:23 PM   #81

Quote:
To get back to your problem .... can you be more specific about the leak? If it's between the A/C unit and the roof you should replace the seal with the correct heavy foam seal. If the leak was around the cover to the plenum (the cover over the evaporator) it may last awhile but also should be replaced with something more like weatherstripping.

A quick picture of the area would be a help.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:59 AM   #82

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
IT IS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyH View Post
Isn't that fun! You ask a simple question..... But really, I am glad you got it fixed, in spite of all the crazy side tracking going on here. Maybe some one should start a thread about campfires. As apposed to how to stop air leakage of smoke into the AC unit.
THIS IS a thread about campfires! Camp fire smoke getting into coach through a/c, but morphed to gripes about campfires in general.
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:24 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by trode View Post

THIS IS a thread about campfires! Camp fire smoke getting into coach through a/c, but morphed to gripes about campfires in general.
And you added what ???
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:28 AM   #84
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Folks, let's not start getting disagreeable here.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote