Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2013, 08:57 AM   #43

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Off topic but if you have a 42' Fountain boat, I am impressed.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2013, 02:16 PM   #44

Hd4Mark; I had now I have a 33ft Beaver
Old 08-10-2013, 04:16 PM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
WOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fountain42 View Post
Hd4Mark; I had now I have a 33ft Beaver
That is a big beaver!
Old 08-10-2013, 09:25 PM   #46

I guess I've been lucky so far. I love the smell of a campfire, and if it's cool enough to have one, my windows will be open. I have not had the misfortune of having smoke blowing into my RV, though.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:35 PM   #47

Quote:
how do you alleviate campfire smoke entering your coach through a running air conditioner.
If it so warm our A/C is running we don't usually have a fire going. Our A/C, as far as I know, recirculates the indoor air. It doesn't pull in hot humid outside air to cool. Yours may have a setting somewhere to recirculate the indoor air.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:39 PM   #48

I am going to crawl up on the roof tomorrow to see if I can see where it is leaking outside air.
fountain42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:53 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronk View Post
There are an increasingly number of RV parks (not so much campgrounds, and there is a difference, in my opinion) that don't allow campfires. We choose to frequent those more than those that do allow them. It's all a matter of choice, for the most part.

Bronk
CGs usually have much larger sites than RV Parks where everyone is so close together. CGs are meant for more comfortable longer stays. Most we have stayed at have many or mostly shady sites. RV Parks are more like RV parking lots than CGs. We saw few trees and most sites are out in the sun. They're not really designed for people staying more than a few nights. That is unless the people are the indoor type or spend little time at the site. The close quarters are why they don't allow campfires. Sparks fly. Smoke floats off the site to gag the neighbor. Many RV parks don't even have picnic tables. They don't allow screen rooms so if you're allergic to insect/bug bites, you can sit inside your RV. RV Parks/Resorts don't encourage any outdoor activities. May as well park at Flying-J or WalMart. This has just been our experience which is limited to the east coast - TN, PA, mid NYstate to Sarasota FL.

At an expensive Encore Resort in Bradenton/Sarasota the sites were so close together I could hear the neighbor, when they were there, belch! I could hear their toilet flush and other things I would rather not hear. We stayed there a week.. that was enough. However, because of the no-seeums, they did allow screen rooms.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:12 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertnspike View Post
I guess I've been lucky so far. I love the smell of a campfire, and if it's cool enough to have one, my windows will be open. I have not had the misfortune of having smoke blowing into my RV, though.
Oh Boy, we have. We used to camp at Tim's Ford in TN. There were a few nights when the smoke just settled on or above the ground and crept into people's tents and RVs. TN doesn't have much of a breeze in the summer. Add trees and brush and the air is even more still. The smoke was so bad that one night it set off the fire alarm in our old Sunline.

People would make these campfires, go to bed and not put them out. They would smolder into the night. The places we camp locally now have sites far enough apart where that doesn't happen. We can smell the nice faint aroma of campfires but not be choked by smoke.

And now that DH is retired we can avoid most weekends when the CGs are full. From Sunday afternoon until Fri mornings, the CGs are almost empty.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:42 PM   #51

I build a fire for two reasons, to cook and keep warm. No responsible person goes to bed or leaves the site with a burning fire. I remember one CG we stayed in that one person packed up and left, and piled on their remaining wood before leaving. The fire was blazing pretty high with a low wind. The CG staff came by and put out the fire, the manager said he would add the cost of putting out the fire to the persons CC bill.
BTW, the state was currently under a burn ban due to dry weather.
There are only two reasons for leaving a burning fire ignorance or indifference.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 01:00 PM   #52

Quote:
how do you alleviate campfire smoke entering your coach through a running air conditioner.
fountain42
Most, (all?) RV roof air conditioners recycle the inside air... (they don't draw air in from outside the coach).
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 01:35 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
Off topic but if you have a 42' Fountain boat, I am impressed.
Me too!
But I wonder how often he finds a "fountain" big enough to float a boat like that?

Maybe he's like my neighbor, his BFB, (Big Fountain Boat?) has not been in the water in 8 years.
It lives on a trailer in his yard, although he did put in a nearby lake for 1/2 hour last week while he exchanged his old steel trailer for his new aluminum trailer.
Mel
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:38 AM   #54

Mel the size of the lake doesn't matter, but you better be sitting in your boat when I come by
fountain42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:41 AM   #55

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TdogKing View Post
Usually if you're running your AC it's not cold enough to have a Campfire ???? Am I missing something ?
Clue: Campfires aren't exclusively for heat.
lemosley01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:12 AM   #56

National RV Owners Club
Maybe not exclusively for heat but there are many times when they are being made needlessly. You inevitably run into the person that brings the equivalent of a sawmill with them. Fire burning briskly away at 2 in the afternoon on a hot sunny day, no one sitting around it and certainly no one cooking with it. I love campfires but I do wish people would restrict their use to times when they have a purpose be it heat, light or at least entertainment. Anything else is just plain wasteful.