Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2005, 03:02 PM   #15

The comment about not pulling out more elect. line than necessary got my attention. I had heard somewhere(?) that the elect. line should never be coiled as it might overheat. Is this something to consider or not?
Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2005, 03:23 PM   #16

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Since I think I'm the one that made the comment about leaving the electric cable coiled in the compartment, I'll respond to your question, Magoo. I don't think my 50amp cable is long enough to generate that much heat in the compartment. When I first tried it, I checked the cable inside versus outside and there was no perceptible difference. I was in Las Vegas last year in June when it was a 113 degrees and I had both A/Cs running about 18 hours a day. I had about half the cable on then and, just for grins, I checked it. Actually, the cable on the outside was hotter because of the sun than the cable inside, at least to my touch.

There are times when I leave the whole 50amp cord coiled in the bay and use just a 30amp extention. Of course at those times, I'm only running one A/C and there is no way that I can pull enough juice through that 50amp cable to make it even warm.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 06:32 PM   #17

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Magoo:
The comment about not pulling out more elect. line than necessary got my attention. I had heard somewhere(?) that the elect. line should never be coiled as it might overheat. Is this something to consider or not? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Not necessarily with the HEAVY gauge wire provided with most RV's ...it can remain coiled up in its storage bin without problems. The current load at your RV would probably never exceed that line whereas to cause a heating problem within the wire coil. You are entirely right when it comes to smaller gauge wire, especially if it is handling upwards to its peak load.

Rich
iRV2.com Member #216

2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T (Northwood Mfg) 5th wheel - 2014 RAM 3500:cool dually
Rich & Zara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 03:18 PM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My sister and brother-in-law had a neighboring camper try to save some money by not using the honeywagon when it came around to everyone's sites. The man of the house held a garbage bag up to their dump valve and asked his wife to open the release valve. She not only opened it but pulled it wide open! Now I know you know where this is going---. The end of the bag blew out and I guess you could say my sister really had some messy neighbors! She said the couple was running around like the Keystone Cops! Everyone in the vicinity of that site packed up and moved to get away from the smell! Kinda makes you appreciate a tangled cord or two!
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 07:54 PM   #19

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Easyrider:
&lt;snip&gt; "....The man of the house held a garbage bag up to their dump valve and asked his wife to open the release valve...." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Now that is just plain stupidity.

Rich
iRV2.com Member #216

2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T (Northwood Mfg) 5th wheel - 2014 RAM 3500:cool dually
Rich & Zara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 06:41 AM   #20

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It is truly amazing what lack of common sense some people have. We used to keep our sailboat in a marina and had a easy view of the launch ramp from our slip. There were days when we should have been required to pay admission! Some of the folks that tried to launch their boats with the trailer straps on, opened the trailer hitch and launched the boat and trailer together, left the drain plugs out of the boats, etc. must own RVs, too I have bad days when I do stupid things (and even messy ones) but I never remember ever even thinking about doing something like catching the blackwater output in a trash bag, let alone actually doing it.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 06:56 AM   #21

Nor'easters Club
I agree....the best entertainment for the least money is watching the pilgrims at the boat ramp on a Sunday afternoon. Nothing in RVing even comes close!!!
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote