Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2019, 08:42 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcamping View Post
Is this a VT thing? LOL
We had a similar incident back 17 yrs ago at a campground not to far from Manchester VT

Multiply Family's pulled into a single site next to us with a beat up Class C, beat up midsize pick up truck pulling a popup trailer, also including a full size refrigerator that was standing in back of the pick up truck that they dumped in the middle of their site.

When they talked it was all yelling and every sentence had the F bomb in it.
And It all went down hill from there, The rest I am not comfortable posting as it was that bad. Needless to say everyone around them which including us pulled out the next morning and left. I ended up writing a strong worded E mail to Woodall's, VT Campground Association and of course the Campground itself.

This is one of the reasons why I write campground reviews and why I don't sweat the small stuff.

Mike
There are some pretty interesting characters in Vermont. I lived in Albany NY but used to camp in the National Forest campgrounds around Manchester and Bennington fairly often over a 25 year span. In the NF campgrounds I have seen everything from a deer being dressed to a group of nudists undressed ( unfortunately the deer looked more appealing).

That campground where I had the run-in with the host is still there and gets good reviews. So either he is no longer there or he was just having a bad day.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2019, 09:24 AM   #16

I keep to myself and don't usually have anything more than a couple chairs to put out under my awning - IF I even have anything outside. I don't mind other people enjoying their existence however they choose.... As long as it doesn't involve letting their dog leave "gifts" right next to my doorstep!

Yes, that happened. At a "campground" in south Georgia (term used loosely, it was little more than a series of concrete pull-through spaces with a 10' grass strip between) where I had pulled in for a 2-night stay to just use the power and change my generator's oil and filter. I had some sealant work to do on the roofline as well. I was setting up the generator with a drain valve and an external fuel filter - so it needed to be off for an extended period just to cool down. I made sure that nothing would get anywhere it shouldn't by laying down a large mat and the total work only took about 20 minutes.

The second morning however though, it is a good thing that I looked down when stepping off my step - Someone had left right at the base of my stairs, what I can only assume was what their pet elephant produced after eating a bucket of chili.

What makes people behave in this way? Nothing I did was affecting anyone outside my own concrete strip, and I didn't even have my awning out, just my slides.
geordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 10:39 AM   #17
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Unfortunately, society has and is changing. Many feel rules don't apply to them and when out camping they feel even more liberated from the rules. In this day and age, taking action is not safe. If they're not following the rules, you'll probably not have much impact talking with them. More likely, it will lead to retribution against you.

A good campground will manage these issues and the poor ones will soon see declining numbers or more and more low life patrons, until they fail or change.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 01:40 PM   #18

My wife and I went on our maiden voyage during the week of the 4th. First time for my wife and the kids. Been years since I have been. Any way, we had 2 families next to us in ajoining sites. Seemed nice enough, until after 9 pm. Then things really got loud. There was noise till past 1 am. I was at the ranger station in the morning to complain. They said they received numerous complaints reguading this group. They were warned and reminded that quit hours are from 10 pm till 7 am. Next night the same thing happens again. In the morning, more complaints come in the ranger station. Again, they are warned. Now the 3rd night we discovered this group had more friends show up and take a site across from the rest of the group. 11 o'clock in the evening they are setting up. I'm about to loose it. They were a bit quieter that night. In the morning the next day, they tore down all 3 sites and were pulling out. Then left screaming and yelling and blowing there horns all the way out of the park. I couldn't figure out what was going on, but they were gone. Thank you very much. When we pulled out a couple days later, I inquired at the ranger station what had happeded. He told me that someone from the group, had decided to take there SUV off roading in the state park and side swiped a tree or two and almost hit some people that were hiking on a trail. Since getting back into camping, I am hoping this isn't the norm. Years ago when I camped, we all respected each others space. We helped each other if needed and we were quiet after a certain time. I have instilled in my kids the rules of camping and they did great on this outing. I'm hoping our next outing we will see some of the people that camp the way I remember campers to be, not what we experienced.
Steve721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 02:33 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve721 View Post
Seemed nice enough, until after 9 pm. Then things really got loud. There was noise till past 1 am. I was at the ranger station in the morning to complain. They said they received numerous complaints reguading this group. They were warned and reminded that quit hours are from 10 pm till 7 am. Next night the same thing happens again.
This was very poor park management. They should have been warned once and then kicked out the second time.

We've volunteered and state and national parks and have never witnessed weak management such as this.

I'm curious. Where was this? I'd write a big complaint to the park management and the state DNR management.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 02:53 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
You know, we haven't really seen too much of the things mentioned in this thread. A few instances of rudeness and uncontrolled kids/dogs, but mostly OK. EXCEPT for Memorial Day, Independence Day, and Labor Day..... The party people come out on those holidays, not all holidays, just those 3.

Regards.

Chuck
Old 07-17-2019, 03:27 PM   #21

Steve721: Additionally, that first night the ranger or the campground host should have done a campground check at quiet time & the ranger should have done another a little later. Then he could have given his warning right then. The more I think of this the more upset I get because this should not have happened. Hopefully, your future trips will be much better. Go somewhere else.
Old 07-17-2019, 04:02 PM   #22

This was at a state park in Massachusetts. For our first outing, we wanted to stay sort of close to friends and family that live in the area for should there be any problems. Plus we had my mother-in-law with us that I thought she would only stay the first night, then go to her sons for the remainder of the trip. She didn't (oh joy). What I found out with Massachusetts state parks is that they are unmanned after 8 pm. I really didn't like that. When I camped years ago, as well as when my parents were camping, we always went to state parks but in New Hampshire. Last I knew, they are manned through the night. My next trip will be in NH. When growing up, my father always took us to state parks. I don't think we ever went to a private one. My father was a little on the frugal side.( He flipped out when the state parks went from $7.00 per night to $9.00). I did receive a survey after we left this most recent stay in Massachusetts. I'm sorry to say it wasn't very favorable. Rest rooms were very clean, and most of the people we did have contact with were very nice. Still, other things bothered me. There were 2 campers using generators through the night, even though they aren't supposed to be in use after 10 pm, unless being used for a medical device. Perhaps they were, I don't know.
Old 07-17-2019, 05:37 PM   #23

Ugh STEVE721.... I feel your pain! :(( What a horrible first trip. Hope you see improvement. Even if there was no one supervising after 8pm there should have been a posting as to who to call for help, if needed. They should have lived nearby. Or else, there should have been a camp host where you could have sought help. Something like that could have really gotten out of hand.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:19 PM   #24

We all have stories about discourteous campers but, for the most part, my negative experiences have been pretty rare and we spend most of our time in state and other non-commercial parks. We've been camping in some form or another (van conversion, tent, Westphalia Pop-top, TT and MH) since the early '70s.

My personal pet peeves are off-leash dogs and those who decide to flood the campground with their personal choice in music. Playful children running between campsites isn't on my list.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 06:21 PM   #25

Yes, I know it could have. The only thing I was told was I could call the local police if it got bad. Wasn't very reassuring. I'm sure the next outing will be better. Everyone still had fun and wants to go again. That's a start.
Old 07-17-2019, 07:55 PM   #26

A few years ago a group of four of us booked opening week at a new Florida RV resort directly on the water. One of the group had to cancel , we had four waterfront spots that were pull in only so that the windshield faced the water. The one who canceled was one of the middle spots so that when we all arrived there was an open spot between two of us, no problem so we thought. Upon check in the manager mentioned that previously he had managed a yacht marina in California. As I mentioned before these spots were pull ins only for MHs with the hook ups only on the left side pulling in and they were very narrow. After we got set up and pulled the toads in, my friend had inadvertently left one wheel of his toad in the grass corner between the pad and road. The manager soon comes up on his golf cart and absolutely comes unglued on my friend because the tire was on the grass. It had probably been sodded the previous day but he could have asked nicely and not been a total jerk. My friend apologized and moved his toad and we go to dinner. We return and someone is backing a travel trailer into the pull in spot between us. They run the power and multiple sewer hoses connected together under the TT and hook up, get in their truck and leave. Every day for the rest of the week there would be between 20 and 30 people at this TT. Turns out they were locals who had a family reunion in town that weekend and this was there beach access for the family since the park had a private beach. To say that they spilled over into the two adjoining spots is an understatement. They would park across the street and walk into the park. I would go out and they would be eating on my spots picnic table and I was two spots over and didn’t even adjoin their spot. We complained to the manager but he never said a word to them because technically they weren’t breaking any of the listed rules. I bet the rules changed shortly thereafter. We were booked for 7 days and we left on the fifth. Haven’t been back.
Old 07-18-2019, 05:39 AM   #27
IC2

We see Camp Spreading regularly at our 'home' CG. So far only noise, a few too many people and once a roaring bon fire (not a campfire) have bothered us that is except their uncontrolled dogs.

a couple years ago in Kentucky. Nice CG, big sites. Except our neighbors (3 couples in a Class C) decided that our picnic table was better then theirs to play cards and within 10-15 feet of our doorway plus on the back side of their RV. I suggested that it might be more proper to let US, not them, use our table. They then picked the table up and took it to their site. Yes, they did drag their table around thier RV, but nowhere near ours. I also suspect that they swiped one of my taillight covers - after traveling 6-7000 miles, it wasn't about to fall off - and their C was missing one.

Oh and that Manchester CG - may be the same one where we had to chase the seasonal's car off our site, parked so they could spend an hour with a gas powered leaf blower. Also the CG where we were flooded out of another time by the Battenkill River.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 02:51 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickNC View Post
There are some pretty interesting characters in Vermont. I lived in Albany NY but used to camp in the National Forest campgrounds around Manchester and Bennington fairly often over a 25 year span. In the NF campgrounds I have seen everything from a deer being dressed to a group of nudists undressed ( unfortunately the deer looked more appealing).

That campground where I had the run-in with the host is still there and gets good reviews. So either he is no longer there or he was just having a bad day.
The one we were at has had a few okay reviews but for the most part the reviews are not good.

When I booked years ago I should have done a better job researching the campground but at the time it was only my 3rd out of state trip and being somewhat green I took the word of the staff that the campground was a reputable business.

I see some mention on this thread concerning good management. Let me add onto that by saying good management is only good when it enforces its own campground policies and security and that applies to all campgrounds… private, state & government. IMO

Mike