RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2019, 09:13 PM   #1

Camp Spreading

Today I experienced my first obvious example of "camp spreading" . . . where the people at a campsite keep expanding the space they occupy.

On the first day it was just a travel trailer, mom pop and kid with a couple of lawn chairs. Later in the day*more adults and kids, a dog or two, more cars, more lawn chairs, and a canopy tent. Next, games like bean bag toss were set up.

On day two, the lawn chairs and games moved outward.

By the end of the day the bean bag toss game was about 100 feet away from the camp site and they were playing catch across sites.*It was fun to watch.

Anyone with similar stories?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2019, 12:53 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I have seen that a few times in wide spaces like a state park. I don’t think I have been the victim of much more than an errant baseball or toy though. The problem I have more often is when people decide to use my site as a public path. To discourage it we generally start with moving the lawn chairs to the middle of the site, then the picnic table. That usually works. If we are outside, we just say “Please don’t walk through our site,” and that works almost always. Sometimes though they do it when I am inside, therefore chairs and tables.

UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 02:03 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I like your term "camp spreading". We like to camp a local County park. There is a company that will drop off and setup rental trailers. A couple of years ago, one was dropped off next to us. No big deal, at first. The sites are limited to two vehicles. Soon there were four cars and 11 people for a 32' TT. The people were friendly, but trying to save money. They didn't want to pay the $5.00 to park their extra car. The sites are decent size and we had our toad parked in front of the coach. The next thing I know, they literally drive one of their extra cars, off the roadway, right up to our fire pit as we're sitting around it. I finally told the they need to pay the $5.00 for parking in the parking lot. They weren't being malicious, just didn't know camping etiquette.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 07:26 PM   #4

I've seen it especially when people pack their RV with toys. They start bringing out toy after toy until their campsite looks like a junkyard. But that's not as bad as folks trampling through your own site. We had a group grow to over 30 people near us. All day and night they had a steady stream cutting through our site. The last straw was when one of them walked his large dog through our site. The dog left a huge pile right by our picnic table! Then he just left it and walked away! That was the end of it! I went ballistic. The rest of our stay they gave me a wide berth.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 08:09 PM   #5

A national park we volunteered at solved the 'walking through campsite' problem in a great way. When someone came in to register and said "another party will be joining our group" we immediately searched for a site across the road from each other eliminating the need to go through campsites.

It also helps when parks have # of people rules and day visitor rules.

People don't like rules but sometimes that's what it takes.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 09:04 PM   #6

I had a similar situation to Don, except mine ended in a shouting match with a campground host, We were camped at a campground near Manchester Vermont in August of 2013 My wife and I's first time in a motorhome with just us. It was a 25' class C we had rented from a local RV dealer. We got to the campground, checked in,set up,everything is fine. The next morning we had planned a day of cycling on the forest roads so we left around 9 am and got back around 4pm. As we enter the campground this old guy runs out of the office to stop us and asks what site we are at. I tell him and he gets in my face and tells me I got 2 minutes to get my G-D car off the grass or he is gonna throw our arses out. My wife and I are looking at each other and saying what car? We only have a motorhome. So now this work camper wonder is really agitated and tells us we have to leave or he is calling the state police. I give him a couple more choice words then we walk away. I'm looking over my shoulder as he is cussing and stomping back into the office. We get back to our site and sure enough there is a car pulled up on the grass on our site ,2 feet from our picnic table.
At this point we don't know what to do, We ask other campers if they know where the car belongs,no one knows. Now my wife is about to dial 911 when a deputy sheriff pulls up to our site. He asks what is going on. I tell him my side and the deputy left. 15-20 minutes the deputy comes back with the campground host and tells me the host wants to apologize. I told the deputy the host can stick his apology in his *exit cavity*. The deputy said fine and then told me the car was registered to the seasonal site across from us and he had called the owners to come and move it. The host avoided us the rest of the weekend and a few days later the campground charges were refunded to my credit card ( I did not ask for a refund ).
Old 07-13-2019, 09:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickNC View Post
I had a similar situation to Don, except mine ended in a shouting match with a campground host . . .
Yikes!
Old 07-14-2019, 07:22 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
My guess is that some folks were not taught common courtesy when they were growing up.

Been there many times with this issue, especially Calif State Parks.
egwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:27 AM   #9

We always taught our Boy Scouts never to walk through someone's camp site without asking permission.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:07 AM   #10

We found out at Honey Bear in Boone that the bridge over the creek that separates two loops and is part of the walking trail in the park has one end in the middle of somebody's campsite. I just bet that they are happy that they didn't have a dog as many (including us) who ended up unwittingly in their campsite in the dark.
Old 07-14-2019, 12:47 PM   #11

As I said on the Escapees Forum where this post is also located, whenever there is a large group next to me making noise and partying I just go over to their site, join them and drink their beer.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 02:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickNC View Post
I had a similar situation to Don, except mine ended in a shouting match with a campground host, We were camped at a campground near Manchester Vermont in August of 2013 My wife and I's first time in a motorhome with just us. It was a 25' class C we had rented from a local RV dealer. We got to the campground, checked in,set up,everything is fine. The next morning we had planned a day of cycling on the forest roads so we left around 9 am and got back around 4pm. As we enter the campground this old guy runs out of the office to stop us and asks what site we are at. I tell him and he gets in my face and tells me I got 2 minutes to get my G-D car off the grass or he is gonna throw our arses out. My wife and I are looking at each other and saying what car? We only have a motorhome. So now this work camper wonder is really agitated and tells us we have to leave or he is calling the state police. I give him a couple more choice words then we walk away. I'm looking over my shoulder as he is cussing and stomping back into the office. We get back to our site and sure enough there is a car pulled up on the grass on our site ,2 feet from our picnic table.
At this point we don't know what to do, We ask other campers if they know where the car belongs,no one knows. Now my wife is about to dial 911 when a deputy sheriff pulls up to our site. He asks what is going on. I tell him my side and the deputy left. 15-20 minutes the deputy comes back with the campground host and tells me the host wants to apologize. I told the deputy the host can stick his apology in his *exit cavity*. The deputy said fine and then told me the car was registered to the seasonal site across from us and he had called the owners to come and move it. The host avoided us the rest of the weekend and a few days later the campground charges were refunded to my credit card ( I did not ask for a refund ).
Is this a VT thing? LOL
We had a similar incident back 17 yrs ago at a campground not to far from Manchester VT

Multiply Family's pulled into a single site next to us with a beat up Class C, beat up midsize pick up truck pulling a popup trailer, also including a full size refrigerator that was standing in back of the pick up truck that they dumped in the middle of their site.

When they talked it was all yelling and every sentence had the F bomb in it.
And It all went down hill from there, The rest I am not comfortable posting as it was that bad. Needless to say everyone around them which including us pulled out the next morning and left. I ended up writing a strong worded E mail to Woodall's, VT Campground Association and of course the Campground itself.

This is one of the reasons why I write campground reviews and why I don't sweat the small stuff.

Mike
Old 07-14-2019, 08:09 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Not a problem, we camp at commercial RV parks with good management.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:39 PM   #14

I used to kinda feel a need to protect my space, but it changed.

We were camped at Magnolia Springs, Ala., across from a family that had a couple of kids and granny was next door. The kids were everywhere and granny was close behind.

It took us a couple of weeks, but we realized we had a built-in security system and there was no need at all to lock up anything. Granny was watching!