Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2013, 07:32 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We always pick up after ours and usually carry and extra bag or two which I offer to anyone I see trying to walk off from the poop.

Ken

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2013, 07:50 PM   #16

We also travel with our pets and I always have 2-3 of the 'poop' bags in my back pockets. That is the w ay it is supposed to be. Also while in 'commons' areas our pets are on 'leash' as much as for theirt protection as people arounnd us.
It is sad that others do not follow some common sense rules while traveling with their pets.

R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:02 PM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Yep, as much as management can't control everything, you would expect that a daily walk around the sites would be a defacto standard. You can' just leave sites that aren't being used without checking in on them once in a while. To have missed a site in that condition (apparently having been that way for awhile) says that regardless of whatever the campers are doing wrong, they aren't doing it right either.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:23 PM   #18

I always carry a dog poopie bag with some change in it so I look like I pick up after my dog.

Just kidding.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:34 PM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am in charge of an area of a local walking park and one of my jobs is to keep the mutt mitt dispensers filled at all times. We also provide several garbage cans at the trailheads which are paid for by the county's surface and stormwater dept. It never ceases to amaze me as to how many full bags you'll find on the ground around the dispensers,up in trees and blackberry bushes or just laying along the trail. After being asked why he had picked it up in a bag and then just dropped it along the trail,he said that the bags were biodegradable weren't they? And they'd just degrade away.
bigdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:35 AM   #20
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have and travel with 3 Saint Bernards and sometimes use our RV to transport in support of Dog rescue...and we feel your pain!

We are very often picking up after rude animal owners who do not pick-up after their animals. Our pet peeve is those that use the dog run when it is empty and just leave the droppings for our big babies to step-in...they always seem to find it even when we sweep the dog run first

For those that don't have dogs - we are very sorry on behalf of those rude owners. Sometimes, it seems like they out number those that will pick-up after their pets.

Safe travels to all.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:11 AM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
I witnessed a situation last year where an inconsiderate dog owner was letting their dog sh*t where ever it liked around the campsite. It was causing a lot of distress to surrounding campers. I was told the CG owners were notified and they paid the dog owner a visit to remind him of the GC rules, but sure enough, the next day the dog owner still refused to pick up the fresh ones.
One of the neighbouring campers took offence to this and took direct action... he made it his business to observe the animal closely, and immediately after the dog did its business, go out, pick up the poop with a shovel (ensuring it was belonged to the dog in question of course) and deposited it in the immediate area of the dog owners RV, by the entry door.

The dog owner became enraged with this. Of course this led to further heated discussion amongst the group. Several campers pulled out as a direct result of the incident and the weekend was a disaster. All because of this one idiot who didn't look after his own animal...

I have not returned to this private campsite, nor do I intend to.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:30 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
I guess I view it as the CG's responsibility to provide a clean site to the incoming (paying) customer.

Rick
I am not a pet owner but I do have several Grand Dogs and I love them!

I agree that it is the campground's responsibility to provide a clean, poop free, site to its customers. If someone left the site a poopy mess then the campground management should deal with the offending camper and charge them for the cleanup. I wonder why this was not found and corrected by the campground management prior to the next camper's arrival if it was so obvious? Not good PR for this campground.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:57 AM   #23

Quote:
While your story is a good example of irresponsible pet ownership, it is probably a better example of poor CG management. "Where".... was the CG when all of this was taking place...."Why".....has the site not been properly cleaned prior to your arrival...."What".... did the CG offer to do or " how" did they compensate you for the unacceptable condition of your site.....or did they simply shrug their shoulders and blame it someone else?
I have to agree wholeheartedly. The previous tenant could maybe be back charged, but weeks later - hardly. Many of our favorite campgrounds do an inspection/cleanup between tenants, and I have seen them take photos of trash left on site or in fire rings, prior to cleaning it up before rerenting. IMO, once the previous renter leaves, the campground assumes responsibility for providing an acceptable site to the next renter.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:43 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
I am in charge of an area of a local walking park and one of my jobs is to keep the mutt mitt dispensers filled at all times. We also provide several garbage cans at the trailheads which are paid for by the county's surface and stormwater dept. It never ceases to amaze me as to how many full bags you'll find on the ground around the dispensers,up in trees and blackberry bushes or just laying along the trail. After being asked why he had picked it up in a bag and then just dropped it along the trail,he said that the bags were biodegradable weren't they? And they'd just degrade away.
My home backs up to a walking trail and I have found little bags of dog poop tosses through the trees and over my fence (split rail) to become my responsibility to pick up and throw away. One day I will catch one of these dog owners, hopefully on camera, and let them deal with our local police. You hit these people in the pocketbook and maybe, just maybe, they will learn. Same goes for back billing their credit card for clean up at a campground.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:18 AM   #25
laj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blag View Post
I witnessed a situation last year where an inconsiderate dog owner was letting their dog sh*t where ever it liked around the campsite. It was causing a lot of distress to surrounding campers. I was told the CG owners were notified and they paid the dog owner a visit to remind him of the GC rules, but sure enough, the next day the dog owner still refused to pick up the fresh ones.
One of the neighbouring campers took offence to this and took direct action... he made it his business to observe the animal closely, and immediately after the dog did its business, go out, pick up the poop with a shovel (ensuring it was belonged to the dog in question of course) and deposited it in the immediate area of the dog owners RV, by the entry door.

The dog owner became enraged with this. Of course this led to further heated discussion amongst the group. Several campers pulled out as a direct result of the incident and the weekend was a disaster. All because of this one idiot who didn't look after his own animal...

I have not returned to this private campsite, nor do I intend to.
if I had had it in a shovel i would have thrown a little harder and higher and put it on their roof. along with a great supply on and around their steps.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:11 AM   #26
Commercial Member

campground owners and managers are quick to make sure you understand their rules about animals. they are very sloooow to enforce their own rules.
they dont even enforce laws such as tie up and leash laws, let alone cleanup rules. when i remind them of the legal liability of loose animals, especially dangerous breeds, running loose, they say they didnt know about the offense, even though they have been reminded by other nearby campers. i explain a lawyer would have a field day at their expense. that normally results in he offender being visited. i have on occasion called the local police about loose animals, after checking the county leash laws. yes this applies to campgrounds. i checked.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:53 AM   #27

I camp at a lot of public parks that do not have a person on hand at all times so there is not much you can do about people that leave a mess behind except to sigh and clean up there mess for them. I wish more of the parks I camp at would give away free doggie poop bags. But, only one of them does. In the others I usually find something in the garbage that I have thrown away to clean up after my dogs.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:01 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by azpete View Post
campground owners and managers are quick to make sure you understand their rules about animals. they are very sloooow to enforce their own rules.
they dont even enforce laws such as tie up and leash laws, let alone cleanup rules. when i remind them of the legal liability of loose animals, especially dangerous breeds, running loose, they say they didnt know about the offense, even though they have been reminded by other nearby campers. i explain a lawyer would have a field day at their expense. that normally results in he offender being visited. i have on occasion called the local police about loose animals, after checking the county leash laws. yes this applies to campgrounds. i checked.
The local parks I frequent say the pet must be under control at all times. It says nothing about them being leased, though I always do. If someone elseís pet is unleashed and staying in there campsite it causes me no problem and I don't care. Personally, I don't believe there is such a thing as a "dangerous breed" of dog. And, calling the police is something that should be only done in emergencies. You would make a lot of quick enemies at my local parks if you call the police on someone just because you donít like the look of their pet. It's a different story though if the pet is causing problems, being noisy. or acting aggresive.