Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-10-2013, 07:52 AM   #43
Senior Member
 
Clayobx's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Willow Lakes RV & Golf Resort, FL
Posts: 3,116
DW and I just stayed at Destin West in the FL panhandle. This is a very nice resort, here is what we observed. There was a designated dog walk area, bags were provided, the waste receptacle was emptied three times a day as well as the trash cans throughout the resort. When checking in a list of rules is included in your packet and you sign off on the rules. One very interesting highlighted area was, " you are responsible for your pets waste, if you fail to clean up after your pet you account will incure a $25.00 fine." BTW sites were raked after every departure, the grounds walked all debrie picked up by the employees assigned to maintain the grounds. IMHO this is a responsible property that was well managed, one can only wish other RV parks that we have stayed at would adapt this system. Yes we travel with two girl canines that is why we purchased our RV so our girls, DW and I would have a clean environment to relax and sleep in every night!
__________________

__________________
Clay & Pebble.. Miss Butter our sweet Goldie (Jan. 2005-Jan. 2015) Sissy our Border Collie
2012 Providence 42 M. Spartan Chassis, 450 ISL
Ford Edge toad, RM All Terrane, TST TPMS, SMI Air Force One, RVM95....
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2013, 09:54 AM   #44
Registered User
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Varies Depending on The Weather
Posts: 8,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
I am in charge of an area of a local walking park and one of my jobs is to keep the mutt mitt dispensers filled at all times. We also provide several garbage cans at the trail-heads which are paid for by the county's surface and storm-water dept. It never ceases to amaze me as to how many full bags you'll find on the ground around the dispensers,up in trees and blackberry bushes or just laying along the trail. After being asked why he had picked it up in a bag and then just dropped it along the trail,he said that the bags were biodegradable weren't they? And they'd just degrade away.
We are the volunteer Park Hosts for the city of Glendale CA at a 700+ acre wilderness park where many people bring their dogs for hiking into the hills. There are Mutt Bag stations that I keep fully stocked at all times and plenty of trash containers stationed around the developed area of the park.

However, there are ALWAYS those STUPID individuals that think their dogs crap is better than others and it doesn't need to be picked up. So when I am on my trash patrol I carry a pooper scooper to easily pickup the pieces of trash and poop too. Hell, last week there was a large pile of poop directly below the Mutt Bag station. People like that are just plain LAZY and IGNORANT.

If I had the means, I would collect it all into a bag, find out where they live and dump it all onto their front door step for them to deal with when they go to use the door.

Oh, I always find a number of full bags along the trails too. At least those people are only Half-Wits and not completely STUPID!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
__________________

__________________
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:39 AM   #45
Senior Member
 
Jack1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds

Jack:
It would appear from reading your post that due to the massive numbers of pet owners, good and bad, that it is the non-pet owners that must adjust. We must put up with the poop, barking, fleas, ticks, etc. in hotel rooms, and so on.
Yes......and No.

NO.....IMO poop, barking, flees, etc. are unacceptable and the responsibility of the owner 1st. and the CG management 2nd. If I pay for a site I should be able to expect a clean space.....Period. I think many in this thread have addressed this aspect of the issue very fairly and with examples of both responsible pet ownership and intelligent CG management. In fact, anyone who has been on this forum for any length of time has read literally dozens of threads & hundreds of posts from people complaining about some aspect of irresponsible pet owners and their experiences with the dog from hell!

YES.......My point was simply that pets (in particular dogs) are growing exponentially in our society and now represent a population larger than children and a "Political" power base that is becoming increasingly vocal & aggressive. Spend some time talking to your local municipal or county politician and see how anxious they are to get in the middle of an issue between pet & non-pet owners. Business (Hotels, CG's, Accessories, Food, etc) is also starting to recognize that pets have very large wallets and simply cannot be ignored as they are an increasingly large & important customer base.

So yes.....non-pet owners are going to need to accept that the tide is turning......BUT....I am not arguing that irresponsible, ignorant, boorish, stupid pet owners should be given a free pass to let their pet poop everywhere, bark incessantly, attack other pets, innocent women & children and/or spread disease. BTW.....I believe bed bugs, disease, germs, and so on..... spread by humans is a much bigger problem in the Hotel Industry than dog poop & flees..... Isn't this why many of us prefer to go the RV route?
__________________
Jack & Maggie
04-Rexhall Roseair (37)
Cummins ISC / Spartan
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:23 PM   #46
Senior Member
 
DaveTN's Avatar
 
Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post

Yes......and No.

NO.....IMO poop, barking, flees, etc. are unacceptable and the responsibility of the owner 1st. and the CG management 2nd. If I pay for a site I should be able to expect a clean space.....Period. I think many in this thread have addressed this aspect of the issue very fairly and with examples of both responsible pet ownership and intelligent CG management. In fact, anyone who has been on this forum for any length of time has read literally dozens of threads & hundreds of posts from people complaining about some aspect of irresponsible pet owners and their experiences with the dog from hell!

YES.......My point was simply that pets (in particular dogs) are growing exponentially in our society and now represent a population larger than children and a "Political" power base that is becoming increasingly vocal & aggressive. Spend some time talking to your local municipal or county politician and see how anxious they are to get in the middle of an issue between pet & non-pet owners. Business (Hotels, CG's, Accessories, Food, etc) is also starting to recognize that pets have very large wallets and simply cannot be ignored as they are an increasingly large & important customer base.

So yes.....non-pet owners are going to need to accept that the tide is turning......BUT....I am not arguing that irresponsible, ignorant, boorish, stupid pet owners should be given a free pass to let their pet poop everywhere, bark incessantly, attack other pets, innocent women & children and/or spread disease. BTW.....I believe bed bugs, disease, germs, and so on..... spread by humans is a much bigger problem in the Hotel Industry than dog poop & flees..... Isn't this why many of us prefer to go the RV route?
Responsible pet owners are the real issue. Those who RV with their dogs are likely to treat them like family so it is not a good cross section of the population. But I agree a lot of people who RV travel with dogs and campgrounds are very aware of helping us feel welcome. Our dogs are worth more to us than our rig (much more). There are also regional differences in pet care; here in the good old rural south I would bet a third of dogs have never seen a veterinarian. When they get old they are shot. I would guess in California that it may be different.
__________________
Jayco Greyhawk 31 FS
But always looking for the next RV
DaveTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:35 PM   #47
laj
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTN View Post

Responsible pet owners are the real issue. Those who RV with their dogs are likely to treat them like family so it is not a good cross section of the population. But I agree a lot of people who RV travel with dogs and campgrounds are very aware of helping us feel welcome. Our dogs are worth more to us than our rig (much more). There are also regional differences in pet care; here in the good old rural south I would bet a third of dogs have never seen a veterinarian. When they get old they are shot. I would guess in California that it may be different.
this is not a reason for cg owners to not enforce their own rules with either severe fines or expulsion for not cleaning up after ones mutts.
every camper who pays the fee deserves a clean spot, and cg according to the rules provided. when they reserve a spot they have the expectation and right that all posted rules will be followed and enforced.
__________________
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:24 PM   #48
Senior Member
 
Ray,IN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: North America somewhere
Posts: 13,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
It is going to happening in any CG........just as some people are going to allow their children to run wild, yell, scream and argue with each other, play their outdoor entertainment centre & music too loud, drink too much, leave cigarette butts & litter everywhere, drive unmuffled motorbikes, ATV's, golf carts around, etc, etc. ......it's not that it happens, but "how" the CG deals with these problem(s) that really matters IMO.

While your story is a good example of irresponsible pet ownership, it is probably a better example of poor CG management. "Where".... was the CG when all of this was taking place...."Why".....has the site not been properly cleaned prior to your arrival...."What".... did the CG offer to do or " how" did they compensate you for the unacceptable condition of your site.....or did they simply shrug their shoulders and blame it someone else?
I totally disagree with your viewpoint. Uncaring dog owners are the problem in this case. Some pet owners are just too lazy to walk to the pet-walk area so their pets can relieve themselves-which includes peeing.
The number of RV parks opting to declare themselves pet-free is increasing every year, due to the topic of this thread.
__________________
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:51 PM   #49
Senior Member
 
Jack1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN
The number of RV parks opting to declare themselves pet-free is increasing every year, due to the topic of this thread.
Good one !

I did a search on RV Parks Reviews for the entire USA and used the "no pets allowed" filter. The results were 1 Resort (Dingerville USA RV Park) .... which specifically refused pets. This is 1 Resort out of 180,000 reviewed.....or 0.0005%! On the bright side....if 1 more Resort joins this ever growing "no pet" trend you'll be able to say with authority that in 2013 the trend to exclude pets from RV Resorts increased by +100%. ..... On the down side, should Dingerville throw in the towel on excluding pets....well there goes your "increasing every year" argument.
__________________
Jack & Maggie
04-Rexhall Roseair (37)
Cummins ISC / Spartan
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:20 AM   #50
Community Moderator
 
Scarab0088's Avatar


 
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 14,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Cut for brevity.......The number of RV parks opting to declare themselves pet-free is increasing every year, due to the topic of this thread.
While I cannot argue broad based statements like the one above, I can ask for the source...please?

I just did a google search and found that except for the park mentioned above, only CA and CT state parks disallow pets, but those sites are environmental, hike-in only areas that also disallow alcohol use (no surprise). In our travels I have found no RV parks that dis-allow pets. Any source would be useful...for those that want to find those parks and those who wish to avoid those parks like us
__________________
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:26 PM   #51
Member
 
NC Rob's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cornelius, NC
Posts: 94
Realizing some folks are "pigs" and we can't change that, I have decided to take a pro-active approach. We have a Golden Retriever and always clean up after her. But, since some folks are pigs, this is what I do. Upon arrival, I inspect the site. Take photos, if necessary, and then clean up what ever may be there. We keep a pressure washer, leaf blower and plenty of trash bags on hand if needed. I also have "Y" adapter on the hose in case we need a hose spray. What ever trash or poop is collected, is taken to the office for their review. Not sure what happens after that but we know at least for that moment, our grounds are clearn. Good Luck and don't let it POOP you out.......
__________________
Bob and Ginny Nibarger
www.rvtranquility.wordpress.com
NC Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:37 PM   #52
Moderator Emeritus
 
RickO's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Litchfield Park, Arizona
Posts: 10,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Rob View Post
Realizing some folks are "pigs" and we can't change that, I have decided to take a pro-active approach. We have a Golden Retriever and always clean up after her. But, since some folks are pigs, this is what I do. Upon arrival, I inspect the site. Take photos, if necessary, and then clean up what ever may be there. We keep a pressure washer, leaf blower and plenty of trash bags on hand if needed. I also have "Y" adapter on the hose in case we need a hose spray. What ever trash or poop is collected, is taken to the office for their review. Not sure what happens after that but we know at least for that moment, our grounds are clearn. Good Luck and don't let it POOP you out.......
It's a shame to have to add all of that time and effort to your set up procedure at every stop. I wonder what the CG mgt does with the "information". While I fully agree with the "pigs" sentiment... I still feel it is the CG's responsibility to ensure I have a clean site when I check in.

Rick
__________________
Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:28 AM   #53
Member
 
NC Rob's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cornelius, NC
Posts: 94
You are right.....However, in the last two years we have not had to clean up a single lot. However, we stand ready if we need to......
__________________
Bob and Ginny Nibarger
www.rvtranquility.wordpress.com
NC Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:14 AM   #54
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Franconia PA
Posts: 116
While we don't usually have a problem with pet owners there are a few ignorant owners out there. This February we stayed at Miami Everglades CG and had several pet owners who would let there dog go on other sites and let loose on the picnic tables, lawn chairs and RV's. I got a large jar of cayenne pepper and sprinkled around my site to help keep the pets of ignorant owners away from my stuff. I once had an owner who would walk his dog around my home. He allowed waste on my walkway. The next morning he found it on his top step properly rubbed in. Never had a problem after that. All that being written, I love dogs but cannot own one due to allergies.
__________________
mcbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:46 AM   #55
Registered User
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Varies Depending on The Weather
Posts: 8,517
Your post reminds me what a friend of mine did at his home in Rochester NY to get rid of a specific neighborhood dog that would constantly knock over his trash can to dig through for scraps of food.

He bought a pound of raw hamburg and mixed a bottle of cayenne pepper with it and placed it inside and on top of the trash can.

From that day forward, when the same dog came strolling down the sidewalk, he would cross over to the other side prior to reaching my friends house.

It left a lasting impression on that dogs digestive track.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
__________________
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:01 AM   #56
Senior Member
 
Jack1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film
Your post reminds me what a friend of mine did at his home in Rochester NY to get rid of a specific neighborhood dog that would constantly knock over his trash can to dig through for scraps of food.

He bought a pound of raw hamburg and mixed a bottle of cayenne pepper with it and placed it inside and on top of the trash can.

From that day forward, when the same dog came strolling down the sidewalk, he would cross over to the other side prior to reaching my friends house.

It left a lasting impression on that dogs digestive track.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
If the purpose of these last two posts is prove just how stupid people can be then it appears to building momentum. Thankfully this is why we have animal cruelty laws.....regrettably they are seldom enforced in all but the most egregious cases.

" the infliction of suffering or harm upon animals for purposes other than self defence or survival"

I sincerely hope your friend and others like him go to that special place in hell reserved for people prepared to inflict harm upon the innocent.
__________________

__________________
Jack & Maggie
04-Rexhall Roseair (37)
Cummins ISC / Spartan
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.