Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2015, 10:44 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Campfire alternatives

We are Winter Texans and stay in a CG there. No open fires because of smoke to other campers, etc. I've been researching other ways to have a campfire and was wondering if anyone has used the Campfire in a Can? or something similar to this? Please let me know your thoughts ---

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2015, 10:55 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
dakota--Lots of people use those campfire in a cans, and I have one and I'm not happy with it. If you want heat, it all goes STRAIGHT up and won't really heat your toes unless they are RIGHT on the edge. And as for ambiance, it doesn't cut it for me. If I can't burn wood, I'll skip the fire. But others disagree with me and are happy to roast a marshmallow over propane flames. To each his/her own.

Old 03-31-2015, 10:55 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
We've had one for almost 10 years. Use it all the time in out-of-state state parks where we can't transport firewood. Used it several years ago when there was a fire ban in Indiana due to drought. If you do a search for Campfire in a Can, you'll get several threads on it & others like it.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:16 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have this one:

Redwood Portable Gas Fire Pit | Camp Chef

A little pricier than the red can but it comes with a nice storage bag and 4 really good quality camp forks for weenies or marshmallows, etc. We paid $130.00 but some have paid a little less. Instead of using the standard 5 gal propane container I opted to go with the shorter and lighter 2.5 gal. one. It saves my back and we get about 5 hours burn time at med.-low flame setting.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:44 AM   #5
IC2

I just found this comparison site. I like campfires but don't appreciate the smoke, either ours or the neighbors when it finally gets to bedtime:

Campfire Compare - Reviews Of Portable Propane Campfires & Fire Pits
Old 03-31-2015, 11:53 AM   #6

We bought ours at Lowes on sale for $99. It is bigger than the campfire in a can, and it puts out a lot of heat. We have never had it past the half way point as then you have to move back, it has holes in the side of the dish to disperse the heat. It comes with a lid that attaches with a half turn for easier storage. It fits perfectly in our storage bay. Ours looks so nice we don't cook anything over it as we don't want to get it messy. But it is a really nice fire without all the smoke. The propane usage is less than what you would spend on a wood fire.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 12:11 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
That's a neat little comparison table that the people who sell Campfire in a Can developed. I believe mine is the "Fire Dancer" type, so perhaps my lackluster opinion of it is due to the relatively low heat output of that unit compared to others.

Having said that, the comparison table isn't really very accurate on other accounts. For example, it says that NONE of the units other than their brand is "Safe to burn directly on wood deck, grass, patio mat". If that were true, then you'd have to carry a concrete pad with you I suppose, and that's clearly not necessary. I think there is some very clear bias in that comparison table, but it is still a nice find. At least you can use it as a starting point.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota pete View Post
We are Winter Texans and stay in a CG there. No open fires because of smoke to other campers, etc. I've been researching other ways to have a campfire and was wondering if anyone has used the Campfire in a Can? or something similar to this? Please let me know your thoughts ---
dakota pete
We have friends that use a Flame Genie pellet fire pit:
http://www.amazon.com/Flame-Genie-Fi.../dp/B00CYGISZW

Old 03-31-2015, 01:25 PM   #9

If its not a wood fire in some kind of pit, than to me its not a campfire.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:12 PM   #10

They have videos of campfires for your T.V.! Turn the heat on and it'll feel real.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:21 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
They have videos of campfires for your T.V.! Turn the heat on and it'll feel real.
HA! Did that once with our nieces when it was raining outside & they were bummed they couldn't have smores. Popped in the "fire" DVD & roasted marshmallows over one of the stove burners.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:34 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post

We bought ours at Lowes on sale for $99. It is bigger than the campfire in a can, and it puts out a lot of heat. We have never had it past the half way point as then you have to move back, it has holes in the side of the dish to disperse the heat. It comes with a lid that attaches with a half turn for easier storage. It fits perfectly in our storage bay. Ours looks so nice we don't cook anything over it as we don't want to get it messy. But it is a really nice fire without all the smoke. The propane usage is less than what you would spend on a wood fire.
X-2

Love it! I even bought some small fake wood logs and pine cones to use on top of the lava rocks that came with it. It looks so real that people think I am actually burning wood.

Garden Treasures 18.5-in W 54,000-BTU Bronze Portable Steel Propane Gas Fire Pit.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 03-31-2015, 08:41 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We carry a camp fire in a can with us for when there is a no burn rule effect. The kids and wife like it and i don't have to listen to the complaining about making smores. I chose it over the other ones because of the lid, if I had to do it again I would have gotten the larger one instead of the small one.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
X-2

Love it! I even bought some small fake wood logs and pine cones to use on top of the lava rocks that came with it. It looks so real that people think I am actually burning wood.

Garden Treasures 18.5-in W 54,000-BTU Bronze Portable Steel Propane Gas Fire Pit.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
X3 - Works Great!!! Love the logs and pine cone idea, gonna use that!

Boostable is offline   Reply With Quote