RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2018, 10:03 AM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
None, actually flunked out of Cubscouts because I got tired of making rubber band powered paddle wheel boats. . . .and didn't like the idea of having to be as a certain place at a certain time! It was an age thing . . . I grew out of it though. Then joined the Army where we had to be on time, on target +- 30 second or we might be in the way of an arty strike! Considered joining the AIR Scouts, but didn't want to fly fast movers On the fire thingie, moved on to using C4 to start campfires, it is SO much more stable and predictable than gasoline!

To the OP, sorry to borrow the thread, but HE ASKED!
I made Eagle in scouts and could build a fire. In Nam heating water for coffee over C4 was the norm, hot as hell and a pinch did not last long. Now as I matured I try to be considerate of everyone and at times like a campfire ~ nothing my propane fire cannot do that a wood fire can except be safer and not bother anyone as no smoke or sparks. Much easier zand cleaner too.

Captn John is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2018, 02:04 PM   #128

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn John View Post
I made Eagle in scouts and could build a fire. In Nam heating water for coffee over C4 was the norm, hot as hell and a pinch did not last long. Now as I matured I try to be considerate of everyone and at times like a campfire ~ nothing my propane fire cannot do that a wood fire can except be safer and not bother anyone as no smoke or sparks. Much easier zand cleaner too.

Do you like the propane firepit setup? Is it easy to setup and store? We have been debating getting one of those.

Old 07-08-2018, 03:54 PM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne M. View Post
I too have asthma and campfires force me inside instead of enjoying the outdoors that we LOVE and came to enjoy. I would never impose on anyone to stop them from having fires.
However, having said that it seems to me that Gumpster808 would go out of his way to make someone ill and take pleasure in it. Maybe, just maybe we want to stay and enjoy the same places YOU enjoy. I truly hope you can see fit to understand that some of us don't enjoy the health you and your family do. That we may only have limited time to see the sights you would deprive us of because you want to light off a smoker to annoy an ill person. Nice guy!

So the fact that I like roasted marshmallows over a campfire and enjoy that as part of the camping experience, or that I enjoy cooking food on a smoker (which we just did and shared with camping neighbors since they could smell it and asked what we were cooking) means I want to make someone ill and would take pleasure in it?

Quite judgmental and way off base.
Gumpster808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 05:01 PM   #130

This has been a spiral thread for the last 10 pages.
I've been camping for a long time, mostly isolated on private property (except as a Scout in the army for 10 years). I also enjoy a fire and smoke doesn't bother me as long as I can move out of the way of it.

I think this is the problem most are trying to explain, those that are defending their right to not be exposed to smoke - they can't move their vehicle - especially now with the massive purchase of all types of vehicles and no increase increase of camp grounds.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:25 PM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderson2228 View Post
Do you like the propane firepit setup? Is it easy to setup and store? We have been debating getting one of those.
Setup out of the box took less than 5 minutes. To start a fire just connect the tank, take the lid off, turn the knob, and push the start button. When finished shut it off and put the lid on. Not all come with a lid but I like it for travel. It cools rather quickly and stores easily. Clean-- no one put trash or anything in the pit I'm cooking over. No smoke so people sit closer if they want. I'll never have another fire any other way. Have about 1 1/2 cords of firewood left and have been giving it away.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:34 PM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn John View Post
Setup out of the box took less than 5 minutes. To start a fire just connect the tank, take the lid off, turn the knob, and push the start button. When finished shut it off and put the lid on. Not all come with a lid but I like it for travel. It cools rather quickly and stores easily. Clean-- no one put trash or anything in the pit I'm cooking over. No smoke so people sit closer if they want. I'll never have another fire any other way. Have about 1 1/2 cords of firewood left and have been giving it away.
Does it put out a lot of heat? Do you have a brand name?
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 06:22 PM   #133

What are campfires for? Well....

They are for late night stories, using the glow and flicker of the fire to highlight the menacing gestures in the real scary parts; the glow of the faces of children, the fire making the whites of their wide eyes glisten pinkly just before the horrifying finish; poking it with a stick and watching the last tiny embers twinkle like stars; the morning with the mixing smells and sounds of a campfire and an old percolator, crackling and bubbling; staring at the fire, having thoughts of everything or nothing as the fire performs its hypnotic dance.....

That is what campfires are for...

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 08:10 PM   #134
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
👍 you got that right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post

They are for late night stories, using the glow and flicker of the fire to highlight the menacing gestures in the real scary parts; the glow of the faces of children, the fire making the whites of their wide eyes glisten pinkly just before the horrifying finish; poking it with a stick and watching the last tiny embers twinkle like stars; the morning with the mixing smells and sounds of a campfire and an old percolator, crackling and bubbling; staring at the fire, having thoughts of everything or nothing as the fire performs its hypnotic dance.....

JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 05:59 AM   #135

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:

Add listening to some good old rock and roll and you have the perfect picture.
momdoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:50 AM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by momdoc View Post
Add listening to some good old rock and roll and you have the perfect picture.
If, and only if, that rock n roll and the talk that must be louder can only be heard by the people that want it...
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:00 AM   #137

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:

Thanks for sharing. That' a perfect description.

When our kids were little and smelt smoke they'd say "it smells like camping". Now my grandkids say the same thing. A lot of fond memories are made around a crackling campfire.

Ok, now everyone turn 180 to warm your backsides.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:02 AM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by weredoingit View Post
Does it put out a lot of heat? Do you have a brand name?
Cannot think of the name and it is in storage now. Comes with a red top, 2 sizes I have the largest. Yes to heat. We even can sit closer if desired as no smoke to chase you away or sparks to burn you or clothing. Well, I have cooked ribs, steaks, hot dogs, burgers, and more on it. Kids do hot dogs and marshmallows on long metal forks. Easy to regulate from a small flame on hot nights to more on cold evenings.
Old 07-16-2018, 06:23 PM   #139

Seriously? There is a Motel 6 down the road. They'll leave the light on for you.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:02 PM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffcon1 View Post
Seriously? There is a Motel 6 down the road. They'll leave the light on for you.
It is more for grownups...

Tags
fire