RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2018, 10:42 AM   #71

I don't mind the camp fires when they are burning. What irks me is when they go to bed and leave the fire smoldering all night instead of putting it out.

Sent from my SM-G920P using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app

jdpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2018, 10:57 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoldesi View Post
Love our propane fire pit. Can even use it during burn bans.
No smoke, and we can still stay warm and roast marsh mellows on it. Love the gas fire we can use it anywhere.

kimcdougc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 11:19 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexters View Post
For the Children; campfires should be banned.
I might be wrong but i am pretty sure this comment was 100% sarcasm.

jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 03:50 PM   #74

Campfire

We often camp with my sister in law and her husband and they always have a fire. I donít like a fire regardless of the temperature because of the stinking smoke. I have to wash it out of my hair and clothes. Itís almost impossible to get the smell out of thick jackets and blankets without sending them to the cleaners which, obviously, you cannot do on a camping trip. I have a much stronger sense of smell than the rest of my family and itís unpleasant for me but I deal with it. Just saying I would prefer to avoid it. The pellet fire fit sounds like a great Xmas gift for them!
AgentTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 03:59 PM   #75

Well you could always camp in the Golden State of California where campfires are Banned just about everywhere. Still plenty of smoke here though....
riverforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 04:54 PM   #76

Every CG I've been to that does not permit fires has had no problem with our propane fire pit. No smoke, no bugs, no flying sparks! Smores, marshmallows and corn on the cob. Did ribs last month. Easy to regulate the flame/temp. Gave the neighbor a truckload of firewood last fall and there is at least 3 more loads in the shed.
Captn John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 05:34 PM   #77

I've been in the Phoenix area for over 3 years now and miss having a campfire like we always had in the Midwest. It is so dry that any kind of fire is banned and VERY VERY DANGEROUS. Campfires are just a huge part of camping for us. I loved getting up on a cool fall morning and drinking my coffee around the campfire. That's living at it's finest! We do have a large patio with a big gas fire pit that we use in the winter months in Phoenix. In fact, our small group from church loves meeting around it during the cool evenings in the winter time. But there is nothing as peaceful as a campfire in cool weather. We have a Teton 5th wheel in Overgaard at the Lazy L Resort we go spend time at to escape the Phoenix heat. I hope we get some rain so I can have a campfire this fall. My wife has a complete cowboy campfire cooking setup we love to use to cook on over a nice fire but we haven't been able to use it for a while. Fireup!
dlshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 06:26 PM   #78

In the South, you gotta do what ya gotta do! So says the Central Floridian who bumps the AC down to get it cool enough to light a fire in the fireplace as the family is over for Thanksgiving dinner.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 06:37 PM   #79

Winnebago Owners Club
Just an observation: Our two different camping clubs have not had many campfires. This year one club, decided to start having them again. Lots of people joined the circle instead of retiring to their coach and watching a movie. We got to know many more people this year.
What is it about sitting around the campfire that brings people together to talk, share stores, etc.? Leslie Mike, 2003 Minnie
Leslie Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:43 PM   #80

I got to say, any campground that bans bonfires (aside from temporary safety bans due to weather) will not get my business. I canít imagine camping without a camp fire. The gas burners just arenít the same (like fake fireplaces. Might as well just watch the Yule log fire channel). The smoke, the wood crackling, roasting weenier sand marshmallows....

Iím not big on loud talking music blasting drunks at two in the morning. But honestly, when I close the door on the fiver and turn the ac fan on, I barely hear a thing. Most places I go are more than willing to evict extra rowdy folks. Live and let live. I get if you have some asthma issues, it might be unpleasant. However, itís really up to you to avoid the situations that will trigger your condition, not everyone elseís responsibility to adapt to you.
Sgt_Dubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:53 PM   #81

It also might have something to do with keeping the bugs away
60sbunkover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:26 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Mike View Post
Just an observation: Our two different camping clubs have not had many campfires. This year one club, decided to start having them again. Lots of people joined the circle instead of retiring to their coach and watching a movie. We got to know many more people this year.
What is it about sitting around the campfire that brings people together to talk, share stores, etc.? Leslie Mike, 2003 Minnie
Totally agree with having a true campfire.
However, inconsiderate people do not take into consideration their neighbors when having a fire. They will light wet wood when the smoke will blow into the neighbors site.

It should be a given courtesy to check the wind, make sure the
wood is dry and build the fire properly so it will not smoke! If you do not know how to build a fire properly I am sure you can find the info. on U-tube. So please be considerate of those around you when you are going to have a fire. If the neighbors do not have one, invite them over to yours. You may gain new friends.
StreamNTyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:02 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Mike View Post
Similar...but I keep reminding my wife of this. Camping, Saturday evening of Easter weekend and everyone gathered around the campfire. Suddenly in the woods nearby was a loud clacking sound...then silence. People were saying "What's that!?" My wife suggested that an alligator ate the Easter bunny, not realizing there were kids in the group around the campfire. Suddenly, there was a chorus of "Mommmmeeee" and the parents were a bit perturbed as they consoled their children.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:10 AM   #84
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tizeye View Post
Similar...but I keep reminding my wife of this. Camping, Saturday evening of Easter weekend and everyone gathered around the campfire. Suddenly in the woods nearby was a loud clacking sound...then silence. People were saying "What's that!?" My wife suggested that an alligator ate the Easter bunny, not realizing there were kids in the group around the campfire. Suddenly, there was a chorus of "Mommmmeeee" and the parents were a bit perturbed as they consoled their children.

Gotta love it.

Tags
fire