RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2018, 08:08 PM   #99

Outdoors RV Owners Club
As much as I like watching rodeos I don't attend them in person because of allergies to horses, cattle are no problem, just horses. It would be selfish of me to expect the rodeo organizers to say no more horses because of my allergy. Similarly it would be equally as selfish of me to say campfires shouldn't be allowed in campgrounds simply because I'm allergic to smoke. I have to think of others as well and I know how important a campfire is to other folks. Lighten up and quit thinking about just yourself, whoever this applies to.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2018, 08:24 PM   #100

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne M. View Post
Yes yes yes...you've all said 'go somewhere else.' You just don't get it...why is it your only answer is for folks like me to go somewhere else? I like the same places as you do. I said before, I would never impose on anyone, but would it hurt you to consider that some people, who like the same places as you do, don't have the health to sit in smoke all the time. Just think about it...please?

I get it.. You would like the rest of the campground to not fully enjoy their stay because you have medical issues. Listen medical issues are never fun, those suck and we all deal with some sort of medical issue. It's obvious that campgrounds have smoke due to fires, its like saying water is wet. You are purposely putting yourself into a situation you know is bad for yourself, then expecting everyone around you to not do something very common and a big part of what makes camping enjoyable. You say you aren't trying to impose, that is exactly what you are trying to do.

Last year I drove from Atlanta to Rocky Mountain National Park, we were staying there for a week and the lady next to me every night was giving me grief for having a fire and smoking a cigar, i got read the riot act every night about it. Seeing RMNP park was a lifelong dream of mine, and I chose a camp ground based on it being kind of backcountry, and had a fire pit because I had every intention of being outside in front of a fire every night looking at the stars and enjoying a cigar and listening to the sounds of nature, and watching the animals. I was willing to move spots but there were no openings elsewhere in the park but i was unwilling to not enjoy a fire outside in the 50 degree weather which i drove 20+ hours to get too to avoid the 100 degree weather in Atlanta.

I'd wager a guess that 90% like, and enjoy, or understand that a campfire for most folks is a big part of the camping experience, you are in the minority here and need to understand that. If the fire is really that bad for you, this is probably not the lifestyle for you.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:26 PM   #101

Another all about me and the heck with everyone else .....glad to see you like state park and national parks.....keep going there....
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:47 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderson2228 View Post
I get it.. You would like the rest of the campground to not fully enjoy their stay because you have medical issues. Listen medical issues are never fun, those suck and we all deal with some sort of medical issue. It's obvious that campgrounds have smoke due to fires, its like saying water is wet. You are purposely putting yourself into a situation you know is bad for yourself, then expecting everyone around you to not do something very common and a big part of what makes camping enjoyable. You say you aren't trying to impose, that is exactly what you are trying to do.

Last year I drove from Atlanta to Rocky Mountain National Park, we were staying there for a week and the lady next to me every night was giving me grief for having a fire and smoking a cigar, i got read the riot act every night about it. Seeing RMNP park was a lifelong dream of mine, and I chose a camp ground based on it being kind of backcountry, and had a fire pit because I had every intention of being outside in front of a fire every night looking at the stars and enjoying a cigar and listening to the sounds of nature, and watching the animals. I was willing to move spots but there were no openings elsewhere in the park but i was unwilling to not enjoy a fire outside in the 50 degree weather which i drove 20+ hours to get too to avoid the 100 degree weather in Atlanta.

I'd wager a guess that 90% like, and enjoy, or understand that a campfire for most folks is a big part of the camping experience, you are in the minority here and need to understand that. If the fire is really that bad for you, this is probably not the lifestyle for you.
Somehow you keep missing MY point. I've said it twice and now saying it a 3rd time. I WOULD NEVER IMPOSE on anyone to not have a fire or smoke a cigar in their own campsite. It would NEVER cross my mind to read 'the riot act' to someone for having a fire. But by the same token, why am "I" or others like me, expected to deprive ourselves of the same surroundings and beauty that you enjoy by being told to go somewhere else if I/we don't like it. I have been deprived of a lot of things because of my health...That's why we have a motorhome. So I don't have to be inundated with perfumes and such. By your reasoning, campfires are a 'requirement'. I've yet to read that in any rules of camping. All I ever wanted in this conversation was for people who do like fires to CONSIDER that maybe some can't tolerate constant fires and don't want to be confined to home or expensive resorts with no scenery. Would you tell someone with polio, cancer or any other crippling disease that this is not the lifestyle for them. Who died and left YOU in charge of determining anybody's lifestyle? MY lifelong dream has been to see my country...all I suggest was for folks to CONSIDER that some may not enjoy a campfire as you do and give those of us a break once in a while. NOBODY asked you to NOT have fires ever again.
Jeanne M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 05:02 AM   #103

Guy's these things have WHEELS - stay where YOU will Enjoy the Experience.

Eight Pages on Campfires - Let's talk about the Adventure - Not where you Sleep.

JMHO,

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 05:15 AM   #104

Your just in a different state in Minnesota smokes to keep the bugs down . And if clothes in the camper don't smell like smoke your not really camping . It's all standard.
You can burn cherry wood or what ever you want long as you have the bag of smoker wood .. rough sawed oak slabs are the wood of choice . Might be a Minnesota thing .

Itasca
Itasca66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 05:48 AM   #105

Quote:
Somehow you keep missing MY point. I've said it twice and now saying it a 3rd time. I WOULD NEVER IMPOSE on anyone to not have a fire or smoke a cigar in their own campsite. It would NEVER cross my mind to read 'the riot act' to someone for having a fire. But by the same token, why am "I" or others like me, expected to deprive ourselves of the same surroundings and beauty that you enjoy by being told to go somewhere else if I/we don't like it. I have been deprived of a lot of things because of my health...That's why we have a motorhome. So I don't have to be inundated with perfumes and such. By your reasoning, campfires are a 'requirement'. I've yet to read that in any rules of camping. All I ever wanted in this conversation was for people who do like fires to CONSIDER that maybe some can't tolerate constant fires and don't want to be confined to home or expensive resorts with no scenery. Would you tell someone with polio, cancer or any other crippling disease that this is not the lifestyle for them. Who died and left YOU in charge of determining anybody's lifestyle? MY lifelong dream has been to see my country...all I suggest was for folks to CONSIDER that some may not enjoy a campfire as you do and give those of us a break once in a while. NOBODY asked you to NOT have fires ever again.
Camping in a campground MOSTLY is about a campfire I do not like them either for a simple reason of I hate the smell of wood fire point blank....but I go and let it happen. Thing is IF YOU want to not have fires around you for health reasons, petition the state parks, all campgrounds etc to NOT have fires allowed. THAT is your only choice truly.
I understand you have health issues but if a campfire in an allowed campfire private cg or federal/state etc cg is allowed, my goodness what could be your issue? There is not one, if you want to enjoy the same beauty as everyone else and feel the fires are detrimental, then change the lifestyle to suit what you require or have the policies changed? I mean what the heck else can ya do? Not much other than avoid what is your problem?

The 'consider' factor comes in if a campfire smoke is come directly at you in full force, then if you chat with the neighbor you might get it put out or best ya run inside if they say nope

I feel many have terrible health problems and they just maneuver thru life as it takes them to do so, and other life happens out there as is allowed.....so?? It is up to those who have troubles to find a way thru it all and help is given to many with health troubles, but life can't be all about other's health problems on a nano basis. can't and won't ever happen.

but I absolutely understand you are not that person to attack another for their choices which are allowed under cg policy.
Whirrlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 06:04 AM   #106

Tiffin Owners Club
Ok time to move on to page #9. I am sitting here enjoying my coffee and just shaking my head
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 06:06 AM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by momdoc View Post
Ok time to move on to page #9. I am sitting here enjoying my coffee and just shaking my head
In front of the FIRE on an 80 degree Morning . ......

Thinking might get to 15 pages before it slows down.

But the PooP thread may take over.
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 06:14 AM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
I start them the old fashioned Scout way!
Gasoline?
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 06:14 AM   #109

As a tent camper, I cooked on the fire. Later, added a Coleman stove, but still had the camp fire. A major problem with campfires today seems to be the poor choices available in the wood. Here, you can't take your own wood anymore, and the wood available for your CG is often green. Many of us can still remember the days of nearly every campsite having a fire, but most folks knew how to make a fire. (I daresay that campground manners were better too!)
Old 07-07-2018, 06:47 AM   #110

I don't think the OP is able to see the issue beyond his or her own nose. As said many times, if you don't like campfire smoke, my friend, you simply picked and invested in the wrong hobby.

Just as someone stated earlier, they love rodeo's but are allergic to horses. That same person also was able to wisely conclude that asking rodeo's to stop having horses so they could attend the rodeo would be just as outrageous as the OP asking for no campfires at a campground. But betting the OP at a rodeo would complain and say the world is a cruel place because they won't get rid of the horses so the OP could attend. Good grief.

There is such an easy fix here OP. Stop going to campgrounds.
Old 07-07-2018, 06:56 AM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Gasoline?
What kind of Boy Scout were you?
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 07:00 AM   #112

Quote:
Yes yes yes...you've all said 'go somewhere else.' You just don't get it...why is it your only answer is for folks like me to go somewhere else? I like the same places as you do. I said before, I would never impose on anyone, but would it hurt you to consider that some people, who like the same places as you do, don't have the health to sit in smoke all the time. Just think about it...please?
I sympathize with you, but if you put yourself in that situation you have to blame yourself, not other campers that are enjoying a camp fire. Sorry but if you put yourself in a camp that allows fires then you have to accept it. If I had health issues I would not expect others to change their habits because of me. If you camp where there are campfire pits then you should know that people that pay for there spot have as much right to light a fire as you do to use the picnic table.

2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fire