RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2018, 07:04 AM   #113

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne M. View Post
Somehow you keep missing MY point. I've said it twice and now saying it a 3rd time. I WOULD NEVER IMPOSE on anyone to not have a fire or smoke a cigar in their own campsite. It would NEVER cross my mind to read 'the riot act' to someone for having a fire. But by the same token, why am "I" or others like me, expected to deprive ourselves of the same surroundings and beauty that you enjoy by being told to go somewhere else if I/we don't like it. I have been deprived of a lot of things because of my health...That's why we have a motorhome. So I don't have to be inundated with perfumes and such. By your reasoning, campfires are a 'requirement'. I've yet to read that in any rules of camping. All I ever wanted in this conversation was for people who do like fires to CONSIDER that maybe some can't tolerate constant fires and don't want to be confined to home or expensive resorts with no scenery. Would you tell someone with polio, cancer or any other crippling disease that this is not the lifestyle for them. Who died and left YOU in charge of determining anybody's lifestyle? MY lifelong dream has been to see my country...all I suggest was for folks to CONSIDER that some may not enjoy a campfire as you do and give those of us a break once in a while. NOBODY asked you to NOT have fires ever again.
Come camp next to me. I won't die if I don't have a campfire every single night. There's a big beautiful world to enjoy, and as much as I enjoy staring into a campfire every now and then, it's NOT the entirety of the camping experience.

affreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2018, 07:04 AM   #114

X2!

A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 07:31 AM   #115

yes camp next to me cause we never make a fire unless kid is SO crazy that she HAS to be a Smores night and then we only put like 1 log on and it is done and over fast for the kid. The kid wants the smores but will not and never has sat by a campfire cause the kid never wanted that, just a bit of fire and sugar for a moment, which suits me SO well cause I hate campfires anyway
Whirrlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 08:06 AM   #116

All these "weekend warriors", and campfire addicts, are the true campers. Before campgrounds became old age homes on wheels, these activities were the norm, and no one complained about such things. If you want to go to a packed public campground, be prepared to deal with others habits that dont meet your fancy. Vote with your dollars and seek out campgrounds with fire bans, larger campsites etc. What next, they will want to bring along those noisy kids. uggg
Old 07-07-2018, 08:21 AM   #117

Monaco Owners Club
X3! I like my campfires, but I bet I'd like you too, camp next to me anytime. I love meeting new people, that is the best part of camping. The stars are way up the list.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 08:22 AM   #118

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Somehow you keep missing MY point. I've said it twice and now saying it a 3rd time. I WOULD NEVER IMPOSE on anyone to not have a fire or smoke a cigar in their own campsite. It would NEVER cross my mind to read 'the riot act' to someone for having a fire. But by the same token, why am "I" or others like me, expected to deprive ourselves of the same surroundings and beauty that you enjoy by being told to go somewhere else if I/we don't like it. I have been deprived of a lot of things because of my health...That's why we have a motorhome. So I don't have to be inundated with perfumes and such. By your reasoning, campfires are a 'requirement'. I've yet to read that in any rules of camping. All I ever wanted in this conversation was for people who do like fires to CONSIDER that maybe some can't tolerate constant fires and don't want to be confined to home or expensive resorts with no scenery. Would you tell someone with polio, cancer or any other crippling disease that this is not the lifestyle for them. Who died and left YOU in charge of determining anybody's lifestyle? MY lifelong dream has been to see my country...all I suggest was for folks to CONSIDER that some may not enjoy a campfire as you do and give those of us a break once in a while. NOBODY asked you to NOT have fires ever again.

I'm not missing your point, it's just not a valid point. I've considered the fact that some can't handle campfire smoke which is why its crazy that they would put themselves into a situation where they are in the worst place possible to deal with the smoke. It's also been my experience that when people tell me what they are "not trying to do" turns out that is exactly what they are trying to do. No one is depriving you of anything, your medical condition is. While certainly unfortunate and i do genuinely sympathize with you on that its common sense to avoid putting yourself into a situation that is bad for your health which is exactly what you are doing. You're in the minority here and everyone else shouldn't have to adjust for you, you need to adjust.
Old 07-07-2018, 08:35 AM   #119

I’m in a site where my neighbor’s fire pit is less than 10 feet from my kitchen slide, and the other sites are also close. With the right conditions, and we’ve been having them, the air quality can get unhealthy even for non-sensitive people.

There is a difference between having campfires in a disbursed situation and a close campground with 50 or more fires in a small area, especially with high humidity and no breeze.
knightstorm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 08:39 AM   #120

Quote:
Somehow you keep missing MY point.
Not at all. Just don't agree with it like many others.
Old 07-07-2018, 09:08 AM   #121

50 years ago my wife and I managed a campground for the summer. The campground was on a beautiful lake in northern Indiana. One morning I was having trouble getting a fire going so one of the full time summer campers came over with a small paper cup of some powder and put it on the log and dropped a match on it and in 5 minutes I had a roaring fire. When I asked what it was he said it was old dry cleaning powder he got for free. He had a 50 gallon barrel of the stuff. It was magical! You probably couldn't get your hands on that stuff today but it worked GREAT!
dlshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 09:28 AM   #122

Outside fan(s) might help.....
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 09:32 AM   #123
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by weredoingit View Post
I sympathize with you, but if you put yourself in that situation you have to blame yourself, not other campers that are enjoying a camp fire. Sorry but if you put yourself in a camp that allows fires then you have to accept it. If I had health issues I would not expect others to change their habits because of me. If you camp where there are campfire pits then you should know that people that pay for there spot have as much right to light a fire as you do to use the picnic table.
Very well said.👍
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 05:51 AM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
What kind of Boy Scout were you?
None, actually flunked out of Cubscouts because I got tired of making rubber band powered paddle wheel boats. . . .and didn't like the idea of having to be as a certain place at a certain time! It was an age thing . . . I grew out of it though. Then joined the Army where we had to be on time, on target +- 30 second or we might be in the way of an arty strike! Considered joining the AIR Scouts, but didn't want to fly fast movers On the fire thingie, moved on to using C4 to start campfires, it is SO much more stable and predictable than gasoline!

To the OP, sorry to borrow the thread, but HE ASKED!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 06:47 AM   #125

At least your thread was more light hearted!
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:03 AM   #126

Tiffin Owners Club
Right now I am in Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs. We are in an RV Parking Lot and I am thankful that there are no fire pits. There are over 150 spots, very close to each other. No one would be able to breathe if everyone had a fire going in their fire pit. I am looking forward to leaving today for our next spot at a State Park. However, it’s too dry in CO and there is a Level 3 fire ban so we won’t be able to have a fire their either. Otherwise, if I am camping and it’s cool out, I like a fire. You really need to decide if you want to take your RV to a “campground”, “RV Resort”, etc. to figure out what kind of experience you want.

Tags
fire